The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I love YouTube (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=733241)

wpavlis 03-19-2017 11:57 PM

I love YouTube

So I am redoing the rear brakes on my 68. On both sides I had a really hard time getting the Self adjusting spring on. Halfway through doing the passenger side, I realized I put one of the springs in wrong on the drivers side. Oh well. Took it all back appart. When I got to the dreaded SA spring I just couldn't get it. You Tube videos made it look easy. Then one video showed installing the spring off the vehicle. 30 seconds later I had it on! Now I just gotta do the front brakes.

LockDoc 03-20-2017 08:15 AM

Re: I love YouTube

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpavlis (Post 7891340)
So I am redoing the rear brakes on my 68. On both sides I had a really hard time getting the Self adjusting spring on. Halfway through doing the passenger side, I realized I put one of the springs in wrong on the drivers side. Oh well. Took it all back appart. When I got to the dreaded SA spring I just couldn't get it. You Tube videos made it look easy. Then one video showed installing the spring off the vehicle. 30 seconds later I had it on! Now I just gotta do the front brakes.

Good deal! YouTube is a great help on some things like that. I always take closeup pictures on stuff when I take it apart for the first time. Doing that has saved my bacon more than once...:)

LockDoc

72 tigger 03-20-2017 06:17 PM

I love it also. Sometimes you have to sort through the nitwits, but most are very helpful

Nomadicflyer 03-20-2017 09:41 PM

Youtube took days of my life over the course of my rebuild!

clos69 03-21-2017 05:32 AM

I like watching the Chris Fix channel on youtube....the way he does it makes it look simple enough to follow what he is doing.

James the III 03-21-2017 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7891469)
Good deal! YouTube is a great help on some things like that. I always take closeup pictures on stuff when I take it apart for the first time. Doing that has saved my bacon more than once...:)

LockDoc

^^^^^^^^ this..
But I like watching a video of a pro doing something I haven't first..
Like my 2004r..
between the video's and forums, you can do almost anything if you set your mind to it..
The age of the digital camera helps also..
no more after a winter of looking at a part/bolt/screw and going where the hell did this go..

70LonghornCST 03-21-2017 05:55 AM

I agree, between this site and YouTube videos, we have the modern day version of the library of Alexandria at our fingertips.

wpavlis 03-21-2017 04:16 PM

As was said above, digital cameras are also great. Sometimes I will take 20 pictures and somehow miss the one thing I need to look at durring reassembly. Probably my fault. Usually a thumb covering what I needed.

leddzepp 03-21-2017 04:25 PM

I was able to change the window regulator in my 01 suburban in under 30 mins following a you tube video. That's about 4 hours less than it took on my 72. I have steadily found that working on "newer" vehicles is a breeze compared to working on an older truck, when all I "hear" is how tough it is :lol: :crazy: