The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   69 long fleet- First build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=361988)

0331grunt 09-10-2009 08:54 AM

69 long fleet- First build

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I'll start by telling a little about the truck. It was my stepdads, we did some work on it. He got cancer. We sold the truck. I bought it back. It sat in my backyard for 2 years. Bought a running 72 and swapped for the disc brakes, and 5 lug rearend. Sold the 72. The 69 sat another 5 years... My 8 y/o begged me to do something with it, so.... now begins a learning experience for us in a lot of ways. I'll post as I can, but here is what I'm working with so far.

0331grunt 09-11-2009 07:21 AM

Re: 69 long fleet- First build

4 Attachment(s)
should be able to get it into the shop and pull engine and trans this weekend and maybe the bed and front clip to clean it up.
My "plans" are to make it look stock outside (trim and all), lower just a little, some rally wheels, decent motor (that looks good, too!), nice interior and not too much flair. Just something simple.. a good truck to learn on.
I want to go with the same orange/white color and do a custom interior with black vinyl and maybe some black/white or black/orange houndstooth. Any ideas on that?
These are some pics of some of the rust to deal with. It really isn't that bad, is it? I think this is really common, so I'm not too worried that I can figure it out. Besides, I kinda have to...my budget right now is $0! The seats are really kinda cool, they are adjustable and really smooth, I just need to figure out how to make them look better and work like they should. My stepdad put them in, so I would like to be able to reuse them. (A sentimental thing, you know!)Also, can someone tell me what year the emblem came off of? I like it and may go ahead and try to put it back on.. still a ways off, tho. Any way, will update as I get stuff done. Thanks for looking.
Craig

nuke1 09-11-2009 11:28 AM

glad to hear that you kept it in the family, you and your son will both enjoy working on it, make the two of you have acloser bond. good luck.

0331grunt 09-14-2009 07:46 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, we got it into the shop. My 8 y/o got to drive it (I pulled it and he steered :) ) and we got the engine/trans out. I removed some misc stuff from engine bay and worked on getting the bolts to the bed off. My 5 y/o helped to clean some and my 8 y/o started taking things off the engine. Yes, I know it is sitting on the ground.. I don't have an engine stand at this time. I'm working on it! Anyway, here are some pics of weekend progress and I hope to be able to get more done, a little at a time, tho!!

Craig

rwolf9653 09-14-2009 08:30 AM

Your off to a good start! Dont you just love all of the "help" that the little ones give you? I have three that crawl around my shop with tools just itching to take stuff apart. Teach them now, I know some adults that don't even know how to change a tire.

0331grunt 09-19-2009 03:08 PM

Had to move the truck out of the shop for my father in law. (After all, it is HIS shop!!) So it's back to old school shade tree type work! Its all good tho and hope to have some more done this weekend. The bed is next to come off... And yes, the "help" is great! Its a good way to spend some time with them. Learning experience for all of us..

0331grunt 09-28-2009 10:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
This weekend I got the bed off, cleaned up some of the frame and started going thru the wires. I think I am going to get a new harness b/c of all the splices and different color wires on one circut. Here are some pics. The fourwheeler camen in handy as a dolly LOL!

0331grunt 09-28-2009 10:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got all the top side and outside of the rails cleaned (no pic yet) and hope to get some more done this week and at least get it primered. As you can see, I am outside working on this. Don't have a shop that is cleaned out enough to work on it inside yet! (another story all together!!) Thought I'd throw in one of the reasons I didn't get any more done to my truck.. Nathan is 1 now. Three boys!! So maybe I've got some help on the way.. LOL

0331grunt 09-30-2009 07:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Last night I wasn't feeling real good, but working on the truck always makes me feel better. Anyway, got some more of the rear section cleaned up and the boys helped me put a light coat of primer on it because it sits outside. I still want to go with a hammer finish, but it will have to wait till I can get it all cleaned up real good and want to do the suspension at the same time, so it may be a little bit on that. Here are the boys helping me and what it looks like right now. Thanks for looking.. gonna be slow build, but little by little :lol:

threeonthetree 09-30-2009 01:51 PM

frame is looking Good
i remeber when i was at that point with my truck. shes coming along
haha with the four wheeler.

oldblue1968chevy 09-30-2009 07:54 PM

i though the fourwheeler was pushing the truck...then i saw it was just a bed lol

Slick67 10-01-2009 11:29 AM

8 year old day laborers are hard to find around here!!:lol: It's cool that they "want" to do this!!!! Keep going!

0331grunt 10-01-2009 02:11 PM

Thanks guys... the laborers are handy, but more of a bonding thing right now :lol:. Slick67- you got some nice drawings there!!

0331grunt 10-05-2009 07:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, I got a little bit more done. This is slow going!! But I see progress :lol: Anyway.. this weekend I got the front clip off, the hard lines off the frame and almost ready to pull the cab. I have enjoyed checking out the other builds here and getting ideas and like most everyone, one thing leads to another :lol: Here's how she looks now and the pile of parts I pulled off.

brian69longbed 10-07-2009 09:09 PM

keep up the progress but pace yourself. don't want to get burned out. looks like you've got some rust to contend with but other than that it looks like a solid truck. good luck with your build!:metal:

0331grunt 10-08-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian69longbed (Post 3557385)
keep up the progress but pace yourself. don't want to get burned out. looks like you've got some rust to contend with but other than that it looks like a solid truck. good luck with your build!:metal:

Thanks. I do have some rust, but will hopefully get that addressed over the winter.. I wish I had more time to work on it. Usually only on weekends with my schedule now, but it is good stress relief/bonding time.

brian69longbed 10-08-2009 12:15 PM

yeah i only work on mine on weekends too. if you work on it all week you get burned out. i already did that. just getting my rythm back now

my67chevytruck 10-09-2009 04:08 PM

nice looking project, great work, keep at it. It's nice to have the kiddo's helping. Best of luck with your build....

0331grunt 10-09-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my67chevytruck (Post 3560237)
nice looking project, great work, keep at it. It's nice to have the kiddo's helping. Best of luck with your build....

Thanks for the comment. I'll be checking yours out for ideas and motivation!

72BlckButy 10-09-2009 04:29 PM

Great looking project, and nice work thus far. Keep it up!

mcbassin 10-12-2009 04:08 PM

Nice project with good progress! I will be watching this one, it has some of the same things to do that our we are doing on our project. Keep it up!:ito:

0331grunt 10-12-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3560255)
Great looking project, and nice work thus far. Keep it up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 3564956)
Nice project with good progress! I will be watching this one, it has some of the same things to do that our we are doing on our project. Keep it up!:ito:

Thanks for the comments guys. It is hard to get to work on it much, especially without a usable garage space! But it is coming along. And like everyone says... one thing leads to another :lol:...

VA72C10 10-18-2009 07:51 PM

Don't know how I missed your build. Good choice...longbed ;)

Any more updates?

0331grunt 10-22-2009 07:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 3574843)
Don't know how I missed your build. Good choice...longbed ;)

Any more updates?

I like the longbed look ;)

I did get some work done this past week, not much, but some...
When I took the seats and carpet out, I found some plywood under there.. Also, what is the opinion about keeping the stock tank and fabbing up an enclosure to put it in the bed? I want a tank under the bed, but don't have the funds right now. Improvse, adapt and over come, right? :lol:

0331grunt 10-22-2009 07:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I also got some items cleaned up, primed and ready to paint. My 8 y/o likes to help when its good for him..;) I didn't get a pic of them in primer, but they are looking good. I went ahead and cleaned up my brake lines, too. I guess I'll try to reuse them, is this a good idea?