The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1972 C20 long bed to short bed conversion question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=772794)

Dalton8688 10-07-2018 06:51 PM

1972 C20 long bed to short bed conversion question

Ok so long story short I’ve seen all the threads on this but back in the 80’s someone cut the rear shackles for my truck and I want to be able to find a set that I can put on. It came with the G50( heavy rear spring ) option and still has them. The person also took off the trailing arms and jacked it all up. What I guess I’m needing is an idea on would it be easier to find a set of stock shackles and bolt them back up and find some lowering springs or what. I’ll take a pic of the madness someone did on it. I’ve raced it many many times and would like a nice street/strip setup that looks factory but lower
Posted via Mobile Device

Boog 10-07-2018 07:01 PM

Re: 1972 C20 long bed to short bed conversion question

Welcome aboard Dalton. Trailing arms and shackles too? Yeah you need to load up some pics and we should be able to offer some help.

Dalton8688 10-07-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8359071)
Welcome aboard Dalton. Trailing arms and shackles too? Yeah you need to load up some pics and we should be able to offer some help.

Well the brackets for the leaf springs were cut and flipped I have a lot of work cut out for me but it would be nice to find the parts without having to search everywhere. I’m trying to find them online and I know for sure I need the leaf spring bracket on both ends and hardware so if anyone has a link or something send it here or shoot me a message. Dad owned this truck for over 32 years and in its short life span before he got it someone jacked it up by cheaply lowering it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dalton8688 10-08-2018 06:32 PM

Bump

Dalton8688 10-10-2018 07:24 AM

Guess no one has any ideas;(

Warrens69GMC 10-10-2018 09:56 AM

Before you dismiss the idea that we don't know, take some pictures and give us a few days. We all have busy lives and rome wasn't built in a day. You will find your answer here, as we all love these trucks.

clay68c10 10-10-2018 01:05 PM

Yep, shoot a pic on here and we will help you out

Ol Blue K20 10-10-2018 06:41 PM

Pics would really help. I've never seen a truck with leafs and swing arms. I'm a bit confused.

Warrens69GMC 10-10-2018 06:46 PM

Maybe he is thinking the overload spring for trailing arm trucks..............maybe.........

Dalton8688 10-10-2018 08:05 PM

Haven’t been able to get the pic yet but it has the g50 option and you can see where some moron cut the trailing arm mounts off the crossmember with a torch and then relocated the shock from the inside of frame out to inside the frame. Trust me it’s all weird to me cause I’m not used to seeing this side of it. I’ve always stayed more towards the motor end 😂

rjs53 10-10-2018 08:28 PM

Ok so are the control arms gone? Mines a coil over with an overload spring. If it helps ill take a picture of it so you can see what it should look like. If you originally had a leaf spring set up, I'm no help.

Dalton8688 10-10-2018 09:56 PM

Yeah send a pic of yours

rjs53 10-10-2018 10:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hope this helps

Dalton8688 10-11-2018 01:17 PM

Yeah that helps. Mines missing all that. Can see where the welds were for the bracket on the axle but they’re no longer there. They chopped the stock leaf spring mounts on the frame and moved them some and I’m assuming they heated the leafs to help lower it some. I imagine by taking the coil springs and trailing arms out it lowered it a little more

Ol Blue K20 10-11-2018 01:43 PM

Is your truck leafs or coil springs? They didn't come with both. Maybe they converted a coil spring diff. to a leaf spring set up. Pics would help us help you.

Boog 10-11-2018 10:17 PM

There is some misused terminology happening here. The trucks either had coil springs on trailing arms or they had leaf springs and no trailing arms. Although the overload option is a single leaf mounted behind the axle on each side to help support the weight when the truck is heavily loaded.
Just to be clear.
The coil spring pictured is just that, a coil spring with a separate shock absorber.
A "coil over" is a coil spring and shock absorber combo as one unit.
To be of more help to Dalton he has to provide pics of his current suspension to get a clear answer to what he has and what he needs to put it back correct.

Dalton8688 10-13-2018 11:49 PM

Hey guys I’m going tomorrow to get the pics of it. It’s been raining cats and dogs out here. On the carrier crossmember you can see the studs where the rivers have been cut off that went to the trailing arms. All I know is the added leaf spring option brackets from the factory are no longer recognizeable except the two rear ones that someone didn’t take from the original spot and mangle in to a half a way of lowering the truck. I went and looked at a 71 short bed today and it had the coil on trailing arms. I’m pretty sure Boog is right mine had the trailing arm and still retains the factory shock brackets someone has just made their own shock support brackets and I believe removed the trailing arms, coils, shocks and the single leaf and went with a 6 leaf setup and lowered it as cheap as possible

Dalton8688 10-14-2018 12:58 PM

Here’s the pics. You can see on the axle where they’ve cut off a bracket and then on the carrier housing they torched the bolts off of the rivets for trailing arms. Also look at the front bracket for the leaf they’ve cut it and added a 6 leaf setup. Seems it won’t post them. I’ll see if I can message someone them and they can add them for me.

Dalton8688 10-14-2018 02:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here’s the pics

rjs53 10-14-2018 05:14 PM

Looks like someone turned a half ton into a three quarter ton. If you want to go back to coil springs it might be easier to buy an aftermarket cross member. Then again it might be easier to find a half ton frame and put your stuff in that. Might find someone on here that has changed out control arms for aftermarket and get a good deal on original parts, and then you could bolt in place. Nothing’s impossible, just depends on what you want to do

Dalton8688 10-14-2018 06:36 PM

Yes it’s strange. I’m gonna go to aftermarket carriers crossmember and coils. Why they took the single overload springs off and cobbled it like that is beyond me but it didn’t make the ride smoother just lower. To be honest I’m not looking to keep it all original I mean on the outside maybe but underneath I don’t care. I’m going to do the long/shortbed conversion and try and find me a decent setup for street/cruise/strip. Funny part is the guy with the fast Farm Truck on the drag racing show came up with farm truck after ours was already a drag racing and cruiser truck;) it was definitely a killer 1/4 mile truck even as fat and heavy as it was

Boog 10-14-2018 06:49 PM

Well I see you managed to get your pics loaded. Good deal.
I'm not real familiar with 3/4 ton suspension. I know they were available in leaf or coil spring configuration. I'm not sure about 3/4 ton lowering kits.
I may be wrong but those spring hangers look more like later model hangers, maybe 73 to 87. If that's the case those should be easier to find. Or cut the welds loose on your existing hangers and move them up on the frame to lower it some. Keep in mind the rearend center section's closeness to the bed floor and shocks bottoming out is possible.

Dalton8688 10-14-2018 07:17 PM

I think I’m just going to cut the old hangers off and like you said they do look more modern but the strange part is they have the factory rivets. I don’t honestly care if it’s lowered at this point I just want the frame shortened and I want away from the leaf spring suspension. I’m going to try and nab that aftermarket carrier crossmember or see if I can rob that one of that truck in the salvage yard. If the guy at that you pick it place was more helpful I was going to buy as many parts as I could off that truck if he would have helped me moved it to my trailer

rjs53 10-14-2018 08:48 PM

So you dont have to move the cross member, measure 4" from the rear cab mount, make a mark. Measure a foot from that mark and cut that section out. There are different ways to make the cut, but I did a straight cut and used Chanel to sleeve the inside of the frame. Then measure a foot back from the original cab mount location and that's where your rear cab mounts will go. Youtube full of different ways to cut the bed sides.

Ol Blue K20 10-14-2018 09:01 PM

Holy cow....that has been cobbled together. I'm not sure what the easiest fix wold be. I'm just going to let others with some ideas that can really help you chime in.