The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   GMC paul door seals are great! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=438649)

BP68 01-03-2011 08:49 PM

GMC paul door seals are great!

My bodyman tried to glue on some stock type door opening seals after finishing up the paint work on my 68 and they were awful. Did not want to stick or stay in position.

I picked up a set of the push on type with metal insert inside from GMC Pauls and the are great. They took a little work to get installed (still need to pass side) but now they actually stay in place and look much cleaner,
especially the inside edge. I highly recommend this upgrade. I will try to post up some pics soon, althought I am sure there are some pics floating around here on the forum.

Thanks GMC Pauls for a great product and a reasonable price and fast shipping.

BP 68

justagoodolboy 01-03-2011 08:53 PM

Re: GMC paul door seals are great!

That's good to know because I've got a set of those laying around. Gotta get my truck back together and painted first tho. Someday....

Kokomoooo 01-03-2011 09:18 PM

Hey, new (?) guy here.............

I got the Complete Cab Rubber kit from them, but it doesn't have the push on seals in kit.BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!
It sure would help his sales if he had more pictures\better descriptions on his site.

DT1 01-03-2011 10:04 PM

Good news to me too. My truck is all finished but I've shied away from the door seals. I've never bought rubber of any kind for my truck that was worth a darn.

tonypaul 01-03-2011 11:24 PM

The door seal are one of the few things I would to go back and do again. Like a dummy I went to HomeDepo looking for some type of glue to glue on my new rubber set. The guy there told me that the Gorilla glue would work... That was the most messy stuff I have ever dealt with. The seals are glued down good, but I have some yellow dried up snot looking stains sticking up from the seals in places. Im for sure going to try some of the GMC Pauls sets.

Did the doors close good after you installed them or the doors sticking out a bit?

67chevy1series 01-03-2011 11:28 PM

no pics????

chewychevy67 01-03-2011 11:34 PM

wish i could get those shipped up to Canada

Ed 72 Sierra Grande 01-03-2011 11:38 PM

Do the stock seals have the metal insert? or are they glued? Mine are in great shape but don't know if they can be removed and then put back

I have my cab down to the metal and I have been avoiding removing, tearing
or replacing the upper seals to paint the part behind the seals. I should do it right and replace them. thanks for the tip. easier to pull the trigger if i know the replacements fit correctly.

Not to doubt you but any noises, whistles or hisses through the doors?

Thanks Again

BP68 01-20-2011 02:34 PM

Sorry for no pics, I will try to get them up soon. Been a busy and cold new year. My doors don't stick out and require about the same amout of effort to close as with factory style seals.

67cheby 01-20-2011 03:00 PM

i bought the same ones for my truck cant wait to have it painted where i can install them, good to hear that you like them

GMCPaul 01-21-2011 08:49 AM

Glad you like them, I think they are the best also over the glue in style. The easiest method to install them is using a rubber mallet to tap on the seal to install it, using the rubber mallet gets them to conform best to the mitered upper corner and fully seats it on the door cab seal lip. You should also cut a angle notch on either end where they meet under the door sill plates so that the cuts form a inverted /\ shape this allow air to expell from the rubber bulb seal as the door closes ( this allows the doors to close much easier than if you butt the 2 ends tightly together and doing it under the center of the door sill plates hides the cuts ) and it also allows any water that gets into the cab to drain out.
For those that order our complete cab rubber kits we offer the option in the cart to upgrade from the glue on door seals to our push on version.
In years past we intially tried using the late model truck door seals such as 88-98 or 82-93 S10 but we found the bulb seal was almost 3/16" thicker than the stock seals which mean't door adjustment & latch adjustment to get them to close well using those styles, about 3 years ago though we got with our manufacturer and came up with a similar seal as the 88-98 trucks and 82-93 S10 seals that is only apprtox. 1/32"-1/16" thicker than the stock glue on seals and since then you no longer have a problem using alot of effort to close the door fully and it eliminated the need to adjust the doors to reduce the effort involved in closing the doors.
Paul @ GMCPauls

special-K 01-21-2011 09:35 AM

I've never seen these. Can they be installed,removed,and reused easily? As I recall,the '90s truck ones do,so I assume the answer is yes?

GMCPaul 01-21-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 4427523)
Can they be installed,removed,and reused easily? As I recall,the '90s truck ones do,so I assume the answer is yes?

Yes they can be installed, removed, re-installed over & over without damage to the seals.
Paul @ GMCPauls

70shortfleet 01-21-2011 10:06 AM

This type of seal sounds almost too good to be true! I tried to find them on GMC Paul's web site but it just listed the original style seal, unless I missed it. How much did a set cost?

67cheby 01-21-2011 10:09 AM

if i am not mistaken mine were $49.95

Spoof 01-21-2011 10:24 AM

Don't worry if GMC pauls doesn't ship to Canada, go to a wrecker and get Dodge Dakota push on style from the 90's, fit like a dream and waaaay cheaper. If you want new go to the dealer.
Wes and Classic Heartbeat sometimes has the push on style as well.

Lee H 01-21-2011 10:32 AM

This is good news, I just ordered a set. I'm going to try them out before I paint my 72.

special-K 01-21-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCPaul (Post 4427545)
Yes they can be installed, removed, re-installed over & over without damage to the seals.
Paul @ GMCPauls

Great! That puts a plus on top of the other pluses. Way to go!

dfwright 01-21-2011 11:03 AM

Marking for reference

GMCPaul 01-21-2011 11:05 AM

You'll find them only listed on our truck weatherstrip page not on our Blazer or Suburban weatherstrip pages due to the Blazer difference on ends of seals and the Suburbans havea 90 degree corner we've never tried getting these to conform to so we don't list them for them either.
You can go to the page they are on at the following link
http://www.gmcpauls.com/Pickup.htm
Part# 2660241 $49.95 pr & $12.75 shipped priority mail insured anywhere in the USA
Paul @ GMCPauls

bigsnookmaster 01-21-2011 11:54 AM

I have Precision seals on my truck, and my doors are a bit hard to close. If I were to swap out to these, do you think it will make a difference in the closing pressure? Thanks

GMCPaul 01-21-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster (Post 4427742)
I have Precision seals on my truck, and my doors are a bit hard to close. If I were to swap out to these, do you think it will make a difference in the closing pressure? Thanks

If you have Precision glue on door seals and are having difficulty closing the doors I'd suspect that either the ends are butted tight causing the air to be trapped in the seal making door closure hard, or the doors need adjusting at either the hinges or door striker. The doors should close virtually if not exactly the same useing either our Glue on version by Precision or the push on version.
Paul @ GMCPauls

Gary 70 Jimmy 01-21-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCPaul (Post 4427545)
Paul @ GMCPauls

Do you have the part # for them I looked on your web site and only found one set is that them. thanks Gary

GMCPaul 01-21-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary 70 Jimmy (Post 4427836)
Do you have the part # for them I looked on your web site and only found one set is that them. thanks Gary

You'll find them only listed on our truck weatherstrip page not on our Blazer or Suburban weatherstrip pages due to the Blazer difference on ends of seals and the Suburbans havea 90 degree corner we've never tried getting these to conform to so we don't list them for them either.
Part# 2660241 $49.95 pr & $12.75 shipped priority mail insured anywhere in the USA
Paul @ GMCPauls

Gary 70 Jimmy 01-21-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCPaul (Post 4427853)
Paul @ GMCPauls

I need them for my jimmy but you only have them for the trucks my luck. thanks Gary