The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Best day at the wrecking yard ever! Tow Hooks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809461)

IMBROKEN 07-21-2020 09:17 PM

Best day at the wrecking yard ever! Tow Hooks

2 Attachment(s)
I was adventuring around the wrecking yard today and low and behold I found these hanging on a bare C10 pickup frame. 3 of the 4 bolts came out without issue, the 4th one took a 6 foot bar on a breaker before the bolt gave up the ghost. It was worth getting sweaty for these I figure. They should looks pretty good on my K5!

DeadheadNM 07-21-2020 09:56 PM

Re: Best day at the wrecking yard ever! Tow Hooks

That’s a great find. Do you see any evidence for white paint on the hooks?

IMBROKEN 07-21-2020 10:10 PM

Hi DeadheadNM, I only see black paint on them in a few spots. The truck they came off of was a factory white truck(they frame swapped the truck and still have it). I am out of the loop, what does the white paint mean?

too much stuff 07-21-2020 10:25 PM

Nice! Look to be in good shape too.

DeadheadNM 07-21-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMBROKEN (Post 8779565)
Hi DeadheadNM, I only see black paint on them in a few spots. The truck they came off of was a factory white truck(they frame swapped the truck and still have it). I am out of the loop, what does the white paint mean?

Prior to 72 accessory hooks could only be had with a painted (white) bumper. I’m kicking around a theory that these or some of these hooks were also painted white. I’ve seen photos of several sets that look to have bits of old white paint on them. For the 72 model year hooks could accompany chrome bumpers but only available on “K” models.

IMBROKEN 07-22-2020 09:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quick update for you DeadheadNM, This morning I had forgot the tow hooks outside on my tailgate over night. I went to grab them and saw the were wet with dew. The moisture appears to have brought out white paint in a few spots. The mystery continues.

Thanks Too Much Stuff! I appreciate it and was pumped to find these! I was going to send you a message next time I was in the Grand Rapids area and get a tour if you had time.

simicrintz 07-22-2020 11:19 AM

You left them outside overnight??!! Unattended? Without an armed guard?!

Awesome find!!!

Ol Blue K20 07-22-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simicrintz (Post 8779812)
You left them outside overnight??!! Unattended? Without an armed guard?!

Awesome find!!!

My thoughts too....

DeadheadNM 07-22-2020 05:55 PM

Good to know - thanks for posting. If you ever get the chance I'd be curious to see a photo of the glovebox SPID from the pickup those were bolted to.

Ironhorse 07-22-2020 06:26 PM

IMBROKEN, that was quite the score at a yard. Does Minnesota have a state lottery? Think I would maybe splurge and buy a couple tickets if you do. You have a bit of luck going on, put it to work again. Curious, care to post what you paid for them at the yard? Just to let folks know that treasures are still out there, LOL.

I was able to get the hooks for my '71 4x4 many years ago when I lucked into them at a swap meet for a $20 bill. Almost threw my arm out reaching for my wallet!

Killer Bee 07-22-2020 07:18 PM

great score OP! also curious what the bone yard cost was for those :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8779990)
My thoughts too....

I've been afraid to leave hooks on mine around here..

thought about welding the nuts on aftermarket hardware :lol:

too much stuff 07-22-2020 09:40 PM

[QUOTE

Thanks Too Much Stuff! I appreciate it and was pumped to find these! I was going to send you a message next time I was in the Grand Rapids area and get a tour if you had time.[/QUOTE]

Let me know if you are in the area...