The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Broken ear on block for starter? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=400169)

jimmybeus 04-30-2010 01:47 PM

Broken ear on block for starter?

Hey all, here is my problem. I recently picked up a 350 motor (new rebuild) 4 bolt main,bored 30 over, new cast crank, 202 fuely heads, RV cam and more. The guy I got it from told me that the outside ear piece where the starter bolt threads into the block was broke. He told me it would only be about $75 bucks to fix it. I took his word and drove four hours to pick it up. I got home and started calling around and was told around $300 to fix it if at evenly possible. My question has this ever happened to anyone else and if so what was the best fix. One option I was told was to have a stud welded in the hole and then get a gear reduction starter with a narrower lip for the stud to slide in. Possible or bad idea? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Togart 04-30-2010 02:34 PM

Re: Broken ear on block for starter?

I had this happen to me with a 400...I never came up with a solution at the time and ended up swapping in a different motor. However, I did learn later that the early small blocks (like 55-?) had the starters mounted on a "plate":

http://www.classicchevy.com/product....8&dept_id=1315

Not sure if that would work or not...I have always wondered if that would have fixed it for me. Maybe someone else on the board has experience with these?

Togart

WigglesTheHoly 04-30-2010 02:44 PM

i have a 350 sitting in my truck with the same issue. If the bolts break ur fine if the ear breaks.... SCREWED

jimmybeus 04-30-2010 03:38 PM

Well I talked to a trusted machine shop. He was up front and told me that there was a 75% chance he could fix it. 3-4 hrs labor and probably a pound of nickel rod. Then drill and tap the threads. He'll know more when I get it to him. At least he is up front and honest about it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I was hoping it was a more common problem with an easy fix. I should have known with my luck there is no such thing.

JMac11 04-30-2010 04:17 PM

Which part broke, most blocks are machined for 3 starter bolts, I am assuming the outside hole at the rear of the block?? Some bolt straight across the back, some bolt at about 45% from the flywheel. I think I have a starter with a cast iron nose on it that bolts at a 45, I always used them on my race cars.

ron350 04-30-2010 05:53 PM

jimmybeus
Please post a close up picture of the broken corner.

str8axle55 05-01-2010 07:14 PM

The early 265 blocks had no starter provisions. The started bolted to the bellhsg. If you are running a stick, you could maybe use an early bellhsg, and starter set up. The 235 6 cyl, didn`t share the ame bolt pattern as the V-8s. I also think this bellhsg was used in the trucks, not sure what years, I may have 1 or 2.

jimmybeus 05-14-2010 10:51 PM

Well I just got back from taking it to the machine shop. They did an awesome job on it. It looks like it came from the factory that way. It took half a pound of nickel rod and 3 hrs labor but it only cost $200. I told the owner of the shop it looked professionally done, he turned to me and said "It should, that's what we do". I am really happy with the end product. I will get the before and after pics up when I get them downloaded.

Togart 05-15-2010 09:20 PM

Sweet...Congrats!! Wish I would've known that could be done back when I had that 400!