The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Sooo, I finally got me an old truck - AKC's 1968 C30 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=696994)

AKC 02-05-2016 02:00 AM

'Anela - AKC's 1968 C30

UPDATE 02/24/2018 - I've switched photo hosting, hope to get images re-inserted as I can get to it.

This may take a bit. Not only do I have to re-insert, but I have to resize also. Wheee...

Hello Folks!

I've been hankerin' fer a truck for a bit, just hadn't seen the right one. A young fella that works at a friends shop was looking to buy a truck, so I'd been kinda keepin' my eyes peeled for one for him. He ended up buying a Miata (Kids!)

Meanwhile, I spotted this beauty and decided to plunk for it myself. Can't wait to see what the neighbors think... ;)

1968 C30 Flatbed

Pretty sure it has the 307, not positive on the 4 speed yet, but I think it's a NP. Runs good, needs a few things.

Not looking to change the character much, so don't look for big changes externally. (Famous last words...) ;)

https://i.imgur.com/JyQ0GlU.jpg?2
https://i.imgur.com/xnykri2.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/fIxeWTi.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/8k9vdFc.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/H7LdHzP.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/z190kCX.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/WOF3UMr.jpg?1

I'll be around, lots of good info here. And maybe some new friends...

El Dorado Jim 02-05-2016 04:47 AM

Re: Hi! New guy, old truck.

Welcome to the forum, very nice truck! interesting dash?

Ken B 02-05-2016 07:27 AM

Very nice truck! I love my C-30, I like to work my trucks and mine gets regular use hauling firewood. I don't think I'd change much on your truck, I'd get rid of the dash covering and I'd have to lose the push bumper. I'd be constantly walking into it forgetting its there....

Grumpy old man 02-05-2016 08:29 AM

I could use that truck everyday here at the farm .:chevy:

LockDoc 02-05-2016 09:54 AM

-
Welcome to the board and the C-30 club! Great truck, and it's the right color. White always looks good on the '67-'68 trucks.....

LockDoc

Eddie H. 02-05-2016 10:08 AM

It looks like a good one to start with

special-K 02-05-2016 10:49 AM

Welcome to the site! Very nice C/30. Did first year 307s have fill tube in manifold, like 327...and 283 did? Things could be changed around, but your best bet is get the number that is stamped in front of the head, on the block, facing up, under the alternator.

So, that's not your neighborhood. That's where you bought it, right?

A1971Blazer 02-05-2016 10:56 AM

Welcome....!
Nice find........if it's a 4 speed it's either a SM420 or SM465 Muncie.....both very strong............that would make a nice little truck.......dash looks a bit Tijuana......:lol:

MARKDTN 02-05-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7474807)
Welcome to the site! Very nice C/30. Did first year 307s have fill tube in manifold, like 327...and 283 did? Things could be changed around, but your best bet is get the number that is stamped in front of the head, on the block, facing up, under the alternator.

At least passenger '68 307 had filler in the manifold. Pretty sure trucks did too.

AKC 02-05-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 7474603)
Welcome to the forum, very nice truck! interesting dash?

Thank you! Isn't it, though? I'm going to concentrate on mechanicals and the interior initially.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken B (Post 7474624)
Very nice truck! I love my C-30, I like to work my trucks and mine gets regular use hauling firewood. I don't think I'd change much on your truck, I'd get rid of the dash covering and I'd have to lose the push bumper. I'd be constantly walking into it forgetting its there....

Thank you! The push bumper (plow mount? in CA?) will be staying. Besides, at the inside of the uprights, they're welded to the bumper. Whatever it's for, it's hella stout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 7474657)
I could use that truck everyday here at the farm .:chevy:

Thanks! And it would probably be a happy little hauler...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7474706)
-
Welcome to the board and the C-30 club! Great truck, and it's the right color. White always looks good on the '67-'68 trucks.....

LockDoc

Thank you! The paint is in awful condition, but it's staying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie H. (Post 7474720)
It looks like a good one to start with

Thank you! That's what I thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7474807)

Thank you! Great info, I'll have to check that out. Why I came here.
That's the P/O's home. The Chevy out front is for sale too, but I think I talked the son into NOT letting it get away from him. That would be a mistake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 7474816)
Welcome....!
Nice find........if it's a 4 speed it's either a SM420 or SM465 Muncie.....both very strong............that would make a nice little truck.......dash looks a bit Tijuana......:lol:

Thank you! More helpful info. Yeah, the dash is one of the first to be "tidied up", I can only imagine what the pad looks like under there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARKDTN (Post 7474850)
At least passenger '68 307 had filler in the manifold. Pretty sure trucks did too.

More useful info... Thanks!

AKC 02-05-2016 12:35 PM

Oh, and I finally have a vehicle the new B/Y plates will look good (and correct) on.

It's too weird seeing a 2015 BMW X5 running a B/Y plate. Or on my 2015 WRX STi for that matter... ;)

flashed 02-05-2016 01:12 PM

Welcome ,glad to see another nice 1 ton .

AKC 02-05-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7474974)
Welcome ,glad to see another nice 1 ton .

Thanks! I've always liked them.

stepbox 02-05-2016 02:36 PM

Nice truck ,used to drive one like that for work.
I like the Fleetline in the drive way to.

AKC 02-05-2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepbox (Post 7475046)
Nice truck ,used to drive one like that for work.
I like the Fleetline in the drive way to.

Thanks! most of my driving is gonna be for the fun of having a cool old truck.
But it will see some truck duty now and again...

The Fleetline IS nice, I just hope the son doesn't let it slip away from him. I told him he'd regret it later in life. His dad has owned it for a long time.

cypressbog 02-05-2016 03:52 PM

Welcome to the site and nice truck, lotta good people here!

AKC 02-05-2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cypressbog (Post 7475108)
Welcome to the site and nice truck, lotta good people here!

Thanks! This place is a gold mine! Good info, good folk...

Sicklajoie 02-05-2016 06:04 PM

Cool truck! Welcome!

AKC 02-05-2016 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicklajoie (Post 7475253)
Cool truck! Welcome!

Thanks!

WarMonger 02-05-2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKC (Post 7475284)
Thanks!

Hi AKC. I live in Ventura, but work on my truck in Camarillo. You need a hand with anything hit me up. I'm like 5 miles away.

Redline novdog 02-05-2016 07:45 PM

Looks like I'm a little late on the Welcome/cograts on a nice 1 ton and the best forum IMO!!! Welcome!!! Awesome truck!

67swb72klb 02-05-2016 08:07 PM

Gotta love that California sheet metal!!
Welcome to the site!

AKC 02-05-2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarMonger (Post 7475307)
Hi AKC. I live in Ventura, but work on my truck in Camarillo. You need a hand with anything hit me up. I'm like 5 miles away.

Thanks! Much obliged, I may take you up on that from time to time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redline novdog (Post 7475322)
Looks like I'm a little late on the Welcome/cograts on a nice 1 ton and the best forum IMO!!! Welcome!!! Awesome truck!

Thank you! Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67swb72klb (Post 7475347)
Gotta love that California sheet metal!!
Welcome to the site!

First thing I checked was the rockers, not much red stuff. it may be worse upon closer inspection, but I don't think it's as bad as a lot I've seen.

Thank you!

AKC 02-05-2016 08:20 PM

I know that I said there wouldn't be any major external mods, but I am contemplating some boxes under the bed, just behind the cab. White and as small as I can get. I like to have "stuff" (tools, fluids, spare parts, etc.) with me on the road and there is a dearth of storage space in the cab.

I've looked at Buyer's boxes, but the smallest I see are 18"x18"x24", which would do, I suppose. A little bigger than I had in mind. Anybody seen smaller? I'll prowl used stuff, but those don't turn up often.

Just a thought...

ETA - I looked at the wrong boxes, Buyer's has some 14"x16"x24" white ones with the T handle.

Maybe I'll get a couple of those, scuff'em up and let'em sit out in the elements for a bit before mounting. Ceptin' dere stainless, dummy. You'll just be knocking paint off.

Hmmm...

FleetsidePaul 02-05-2016 09:46 PM

My buddy had a 72 shorty flatbed back in the day, and put some nice diamond plate boxes under the bed, looked really nice. Can't tell you where he got them (too many years ago) but it's a nice touch. He also put on some Chrome wheels, and did the wood all nice. Man that was a sweet flatbed, wish I had pics, but that was before digital cameras. He lost his storage and kept it at my place for a while, and people were always trying to buy it off me. The mud flaps say Ontario, so I don't know if the push bar is for a plow (it doesn't snow too much around Ontario) maybe the guy had a dragster or something and used it for a push truck. Cool truck. Looking forward to updates. Congratulations.