The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Rusted Lower Dash - Any Mod Ideas? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=689836)

b-mac 11-27-2015 03:43 AM

Rusted Lower Dash - Any Mod Ideas?

1 Attachment(s)
While I was striping rust off my dash I discovered that the lower portion, between the ignition and the cigarette lighter has several large rust holes. The heavy rust gets up into the formed ridges in the metal.
Being a cheap-skate, I don't want to fork over the $450 LMC wants for a new dash. I'd guess I'd be into it for about half that if I bought a bead roller and tried to recreate part or all of that piece.
I've seen some guys do gauges down there.
Have any of you modified this area of your dash? Or do you have any ideas?

Advanced Design 11-27-2015 10:49 AM

Re: Rusted Lower Dash - Any Mod Ideas?

1 Attachment(s)
B-mac, that is some good looking floor work you have there.

Just a couple ideas...you could find a donor dash or just the section you need and replace it. Depending on where you need to make cuts it could be quicker and easier to replace the dash.

I like your idea about buying tools and building a lower piece. Here is an idea I found through Google that you could fabricate. This is a fabricated piece for a 55-56 Chevy car.

mr48chev 11-27-2015 01:25 PM

47 dash? I'd say the options are as many as your creative ideas come up with.

You could just cut it off flush with the bottom of the dash and have a straight run across the whole bottom of it.

You could cut it off flush and then make a custom panel for the radio and heat/ac controls and outlets for the ac.

Cut out the rusted area and weld in a filler panel that you created or re purposed. That meaning that those of us who can't shape metal well cut and fit something with the right shape and weld it up to look right.

As long as what you do looks like it belongs there when you get done and blends in as a complete unit with the rest of the build and interior design you options are many.

_Ogre 11-27-2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 7390567)
47 dash? I'd say the options are as many as your creative ideas come up with.

You could just cut it off flush with the bottom of the dash and have a straight run across the whole bottom of it.

You could cut it off flush and then make a custom panel for the radio and heat/ac controls and outlets for the ac.

Cut out the rusted area and weld in a filler panel that you created or re purposed. That meaning that those of us who can't shape metal well cut and fit something with the right shape and weld it up to look right.

As long as what you do looks like it belongs there when you get done and blends in as a complete unit with the rest of the build and interior design you options are many.

aka basic fabrication :D
you've already fabbed in a steering column filler, keep fabbing

paulspickupparts 11-30-2015 01:46 PM

Getting hit pretty hard with snow right now but could cut you the patch you need . I have about 30 parts trucks of that vintage. Thanks

b-mac 11-30-2015 10:15 PM

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. That would be awesome. PM me your price. No worries on the snow...I'm in no rush. We got plenty of ice in Wichita too.

paulspickupparts 11-30-2015 10:44 PM

Sending PM . Let me know how much of the dash you need. Shipping should be reasonable . Been having good luck if it fits in a priority box. Thanks