The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   adding side chrome (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765984)

Bentbolt 06-20-2018 11:26 AM

adding side chrome

I have a 65 c10. over the past 6 months I bought a cab , doors, and looking at a set of front fenders. they all have side moldings but the box I bought doesn't have holes for the side moldings is they a way to add the side moldings to the box or do I need to fill the holes?

TIA

Foot Stomper 06-22-2018 12:30 AM

Re: adding side chrome

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentbolt (Post 8285187)
is they a way to add the side moldings to the box or do I need to fill the holes?

TIA

Are you adding the trim or have holes in sheet metal that you want to fill because you don't have the trim?

Bentbolt 06-22-2018 09:23 AM

that's what I'm trying to figure out. the front half of my truck has the mounting holes but my box does not. can the hole be added to the box or do I need to fill in the front half of my truck?

MARTINSR 06-22-2018 09:59 AM

I would be drilling the holes on the bed and putting the mouldings on. I personally think those mouldings are one of the best things about those trucks.

Do you have the old bed with the holes in it? That way you can see right where they go. If not you need to mount the bed properly on the truck, then with the side mouldings on the cab removed, run a piece of masking tape down the side of the truck from the door moulding holes right down all the way to the rear bumper.

Mark the holes close to the same distance apart as what is on the door and drill them out, it's that easy.

I'll post a photo later today on the method of making a straight line with tape.

Brian

Bentbolt 06-22-2018 10:02 AM

thanks I was hoping I could drill it out that easy

MARTINSR 06-22-2018 11:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is how you mark for the holes for the moulding. You run the tape like this down the holes that are there, putting the tape down over the area where there are no holes raising or lowering the end to where it needs to be and then setting it into place and tapping it so it sticks. Of course you still need to measure height and all that from some body line or something that matches the cab. But it's the easiest way to get that line straight. You then just mark on the tape where you want to drill the holes.

You can run this tape right under the holes or through the center, I personally will run it right under the hole then mark the hole spots to drill accordingly above the tape. I do this so the drill doesn't tear up the tape when the hole is drilled with a possibility of it coming off or something.

I use to pay tape stripes on cars for a dealership 40 years ago I would do the whole side like this, one shot, lay it down then cut the tape at the door and not the clear overlay. Then go back and pull the overlay off, wham, did the whole car in literally a few minutes. :D Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.....memories. :D

Brian