The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   What is the best 'tire black' for detailing? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=675263)

gpascott 06-30-2015 08:11 AM

What is the best 'tire black' for detailing?

I have had a problem shining my tires when detailing. Some products leave an ugly build-up on the side walls that is almost impossible to get off. If anybody knows of a good product to use I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks

jackyl9999 06-30-2015 08:20 AM

Re: What is the best 'tire black' for detailing?

I like Stoners. They seem to make good products.

n33k0 06-30-2015 09:02 AM

I don't use tire shine often, but I have used the Armor All tire shine before. It was hard to spray the tire evenly without getting drips, left it looking very greasy, and it never seemed to dry. I covered the tire with the product and let it sit for 15 minutes before wiping it off... ended up with a nice and uniform matte-black finish that didn't look greasy, and more importantly, didn't fly off and land on the paint while driving. It was dry to the touch so dust and dirt didn't immediately stick to the tire, lasted at least a few days, if I remember correctly.

leftybass209 06-30-2015 09:08 AM

I don't like the glossy look, so I've been using Meguires satin black wipes. It's not really a tire product but it sure makes them look good.

gpascott 06-30-2015 01:21 PM

Do the Meguire's satin black wipes leave a residue on the tires that is hard to remove?

mike16 06-30-2015 01:23 PM

in that movie the fastest man on an indian? he used shoe polish. I work a used car lot in delaware back in the early 80's we used shoe polish too. long befor armour all era.

leftybass209 06-30-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpascott (Post 7226395)
Do the Meguire's satin black wipes leave a residue on the tires that is hard to remove?

No, and honestly it doesn't last too long. It's intended purpose is for plastic, rubber and vinyl that you want clean and protected without the oily residue. I haven't even bothered to see if they carry anything similar in a tire formula. I'm sure there's a product that offers the satin finish specifically for tires, but I have new, thin whitewalls so i've been slowly experimenting.

gpascott 06-30-2015 02:13 PM

Sounds like I need to give that a try. Thanks

Sicklajoie 06-30-2015 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stoners More Shine Less Time works great, but then I take a terry towel and wipe them down after I spray so they're not too shiny.

JWall 06-30-2015 04:50 PM

I use Adams VRT on my trucks and I use Zainos Z-16 on our daily drivers.

Like Sicklajoie said wiping them back down after application will take a little shine off if you like.

mike16 07-01-2015 01:17 AM

Kiwi

gpascott 07-01-2015 03:03 PM

Barrett-Jackson Wet Look Tire Shine
Introducing the latest in tire care, Barrett-Jackson Tire Shine with intense wet look shine. This incredible technology is long lasting and penetrates and bonds to tires with no sling. Great cars deserve care you can trust®

Best shine available
Long lasting
No sling design, penetrates and bonds to tires
Silicone emulsions penetrate rubber & dries to touch, will not sling off tires while driving
Spray on, walk away - no wiping
Water based formula won't promote tire browning like other petroleum shines can
Final Step for a great looking car

This may be what I'm looking for. They specifically address the issue of the brown build-up I had on my tires from other products, which was extremely hard to remove. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

slowcpe 07-01-2015 03:32 PM

I use Mequiar's Hot Shine but I apply it with a sponge applicator. Usually go around the car/truck twice. The sponge helps keep the tires from getting too shiny. I also wash the tires before I apply any product. Been happy with this process for years.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7340/1...b1f039f5_z.jpg

Malo83 09-17-2015 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike16 (Post 7226400)
in that movie the fastest man on an indian? he used shoe polish. I work a used car lot in delaware back in the early 80's we used shoe polish too. long befor armour all era.

Armor All has been out since the early 70's when I used to use it ;)

Malo83 09-17-2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowcpe (Post 7227781)
I use Mequiar's Hot Shine but I apply it with a sponge applicator. Usually go around the car/truck twice. The sponge helps keep the tires from getting too shiny. I also wash the tires before I apply any product. Been happy with this process for years.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7340/1...b1f039f5_z.jpg

Good Stuff, I spray my tires first, let them sit for about 15/20 min. then wipe down. ;)

TheCougarine 09-17-2015 03:40 PM

I can't remember its exact name but STP makes a tire shine that looks good and doesn't wash off the first time it rains. My grampa swears by the stuff and his trucks tires always look good. It can be kinda hard to find though for some reason. Oddly enough dollar stores seem to have it when auto chains (Advance, Autozone ect.) don't.

PeterHall 09-19-2015 01:06 AM

I use wolfgang black diamond tire gel. A little goes a long way. After cleaning the tire I rub it on and it keeps it nice and black. Not wet but somewhere glossier than satin.

OutlawDrifter 09-28-2015 03:28 PM

i use the Golden Shine Tire & Trim dressing from california car cover company. it gives you a "new tire" look, rather than a shiny wet look. seems to last fairly well.

Warrens69GMC 09-30-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCougarine (Post 7311856)
I can't remember its exact name but STP makes a tire shine that looks good and doesn't wash off the first time it rains. My grampa swears by the stuff and his trucks tires always look good. It can be kinda hard to find though for some reason. Oddly enough dollar stores seem to have it when auto chains (Advance, Autozone ect.) don't.

Son of a gun?

TheCougarine 09-30-2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 7325377)
Son of a gun?

Thats it! Thanks

boatpuller 10-11-2015 06:58 PM

I use Meguiars hot shine also and have been happy with it.

Clavo106 10-30-2015 10:33 PM

iv been happy with the stated hot and shine. also cemical guys dressing- always clean excess tire dressing . ... also "avoid" gels and anything with a silicon spray dressings that c*** only wast time, money and looks bad..

69gmcc10 11-05-2015 07:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The most important factor on tire shine is to make sure that you use a water based product. Most commonly they are found as a white gel. Petroleum based products, most commonly sprays and transparent wipes, leave a residue that not only brakes down and hardens the rubber simply because of the chemicals used and their abilities to increasing effects to ozone the rubber.

I use 2 different tire gels:

Armorall gel, easiest to find water based gel and works real well! If you want a dull finish use one coat if you want it shiny use multiple coats.

AMMO Tire Mud. This is a premium quality tire gel and can only be purchased from www.AMMONYC.com. It is designed to be as good to your tires as possible and provide the shine we are all looking for. It lasts a real long time, keeps the side wall supple by providing a blend of oils to absorb into the rubber all without sling. If you want shiny add more coats.

TKCR 11-08-2015 06:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I detail cars & trucks on the side. I like using Meguiars Hot tire Shire. I even spray in my wheel well openings. These are my own truck tires that I have done recently.

http://www.meguiars.com/content/glob...ct/2801_lg.jpg

widewhite70 02-14-2016 02:03 PM

For sure Adams Polishes VRT or Tire Shine, both work extremely well and with the tire shine you can make it as dull/shiny as you'd like depending on application, not to mention it smells great!