The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Choo Choo Customs? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=372028)

GmtGmt 11-15-2009 12:10 PM

Choo Choo Customs?

what did they do to the trucks was it just a paint job, seats, carpet and a few decals or?

N2TRUX 11-15-2009 12:19 PM

Re: Choo Choo Customs?

Choo-Choo was typical of any "Conversion" company. They added a graphic package usually combined with some ground effects, spoilers, running boards, etc on the exterior.

The interior package usually consisted of custom seats, console, lighting, and TV's.

GmtGmt 11-15-2009 12:27 PM

thanks

did they have any brochuers
i would like to know what mine could have come with and how it could have looked like since im restoring it

bitchin85 11-15-2009 12:32 PM

http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/1461284185.html

not a c10 but its a choo choo

GmtGmt 11-15-2009 12:42 PM

dang so small pics

GmtGmt 11-15-2009 12:56 PM

if anyone have pics of trucks that had the Choo Choo Custom Convertion please post

Driveway Dreams 11-15-2009 01:09 PM

How did you determine that yours was a Choo Choo conversion? Is there a build plate?

GmtGmt 11-15-2009 01:37 PM

Yes it has a plate thats says this

Choo Choo Customs Inc.
CHATTANOOGA, TENNESEE

THIS VEHICLE RECERTIFELD JULY 1984
AND CONFORMS TO ALL FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDERDS IN AFFECT AT THIS TIME.

VEHICLE TYPE CCC / CC4-784 / 182021

Driveway Dreams 11-15-2009 02:59 PM

There really is not much info readily available online is there? Now I see why you are so curious about what your truck may have been equipped as. Good luck with the search. I am subscribed to try and learn more about details of these.

GmtGmt 11-15-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams (Post 3621360)
There really is not much info readily available online is there? Now I see why you are so curious about what your truck may have been equipped as. Good luck with the search. I am subscribed to try and learn more about details of these.

Thanks
almost no info at all i knew they made elcy's and cameros but not trucks or vans until i got my truck

i hope to find some one who has a complete choo choo custom truck that maby can tell me what it came with so i have an idea how might have come

b454rat 11-15-2009 04:13 PM

My 89 GMC crew is I think a Cho Cho Customs, sticker says from Chattanooga TN. The truck started out as a Bonus cab, has all the goodies on it, power windows/locks/tilt/air/cruise, stuff like that. Door panels have fabric covering the door bottoms, as well as the headliner and side trim. Stuff is glued directly to the body, not trim pieces.

The seats look to from a van, rear seat is on a track, slides back and forth and folds down into a bed. Has wood trim where the normal Silvy's had the shiny stuff.

I'll get some pics when I get the interior cleaned out...

GmtGmt 11-15-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b454rat (Post 3621441)
My 89 GMC crew is I think a Cho Cho Customs, sticker says from Chattanooga TN. The truck started out as a Bonus cab, has all the goodies on it, power windows/locks/tilt/air/cruise, stuff like that. Door panels have fabric covering the door bottoms, as well as the headliner and side trim. Stuff is glued directly to the body, not trim pieces.

The seats look to from a van, rear seat is on a track, slides back and forth and folds down into a bed. Has wood trim where the normal Silvy's had the shiny stuff.

I'll get some pics when I get the interior cleaned out...

this is exacly what my truck also have its a bonus cab too fabric on the doors every thing expet the wood trim mine has black and silver plastic and custom head liner everything was glue on the body headliner and carpet (what a pain the the ass to get of)

Please share pics

rare86 11-15-2009 05:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The research I have done on the extended cabs has led to one overall conclusion: none of the conversion companies documented the vehicles they built very well. They may have kept records for a short time, but you have to remember, most were done over 20 years ago. I have never seen two converisont trucks the same as far as paint. Similar interioirs, yes, but paint, no. Choo-Choo was just like the rest. They would customize anything a dealer sent to them.
Like the others said, paint, wheels, ground effects, and interior parts like seat, and trim is all they did. The only hope for how it was originally is find the original owner, and hope they have pics, if not a real good memory. Ive put up a few pics (they're not CHoo-Choo converisons but the theme was similar across the board) that will give you some reference to what they did in the 80'S. I know most are extended cabs, but all were painted simlar.

GmtGmt 11-15-2009 05:46 PM

Thanks rare86

i know records proberly dont exist but i just want to try and get a idea of what the trucks choo choo did look like others too i like the late 70s, 80s and early 90s trucks and van style and i want to make mine look this way

i know mine has been repainted atleast 2 times after the original paint job as the paint was breaking of some places so im going to try to see if i can have a look with the door one of the days maby i can dig the original paint job out

rare86 11-15-2009 05:54 PM

Most of the trucks came from the factory as one solid color. If the decal in the glovebox is still there, you may be able to at least get an idea of what the original color was, then find a truck that is similar in color, and that should give you a basic idea. Basically bold stripes of at least three different colors was the fad. Most were similar colors of different shades, but if you notice there were quite a few like my silver truck that had contrasting colors. As far as being genuine, you find someone that can prove your design isnt original, and you'll also be shaking hands with a liar, or one of the very few, and rare people who actually built the trucks. I think they just got out the wide masking tape, threw it down, and started shooting paint.

GmtGmt 11-15-2009 06:05 PM

my glove box is black and the color under the carpet was black it was glued on so i have a feeling the original color is black
but what i was looking to do was since the paint jobs was breaking of in some places i would try too see if i can get a look at the old design on one of the doors
im going to mix a couple of designs into mine
this is what i have in mind right now
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...intbluestr.jpg

Tx Firefighter 11-15-2009 09:12 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1258319913

This truck was built in Ft Worth Texas by a conversion company called Western Hauler. You can see their emblem on the front fender where the original emblem was. They have their own made to replace factory emblems. Last time I drove by there they were still turning out trucks, albeit those big horse hauler mini Peterbilt's like all the rich cutting horse guys drive.

rare86 11-15-2009 11:02 PM

Tx Firefighter, I have talked to several Western Hauler reps, and every one of them deny ever having done anything on these trucks,even tho I have lots of proof they did. They act like it irritates them to ask anything.
The Tra-tech conversions were also made in the DFW area,(my crewcab is Tra-tech) as well as the extended cabs themselves (CVI-Custom Vehicles International) in Arlington, but I cant find any info or anyone who knows anything about them.

GMTGMT, looks like a neat rendering youre working on, If the primary color was black, then I doubt it had much of a custom paint job. Black, and red vehicles usually had very little. You should be able to carefully sand the corners of the doors. cab corners, bed etc, and get an idea of what they had, if they had done anything. It shound only take about 1/8-1/4 of an area down the side of the door, or whatever, to get an idea of the pattern. Id almost be it was just solid black, with the ground effects.
I love the Testerosa ground effect kits, and would love to find one for mine.

b454rat 11-16-2009 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if this was from Cho Cho or not....

andrewmp6 11-17-2009 10:52 AM

Try talking to http://www.honestcharley.com/ they own choo choo customs after they went under.As far as i know only trucks they did where 88 up.

Damien 11-17-2009 11:44 AM

My dad repainted a '88 up c10 by Choo choo when he had his body shop. It was quite a few years ago. I remember it having AR "Outlaw " style 15" wheels. white with blue buckets and fold down center seat. I'll ask him about it to see what he remembers.

Here is one I found here via google. Belongs to 1986Silverado
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1219791842