The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Project "Man Truck"...it's a F#RD (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=740211)

LEEVON 06-15-2017 11:46 AM

Project "Man Truck"...it's a F#RD

4 Attachment(s)
So this guy was driving by my shop and blew a head gasket. He wanted out of it and the truck was soooo clean that I couldn't pass it up. Plus my wife is always harshing me about my lowered trucks and pointing out "man trucks", so maybe it's time I had another one? I have never owned a Ford.

It's a 2004 with 110k miles and the 5.4L. Yeah, they are a gutless compared to the Powerstroke diesel but a whole engine cost me less than one big trip to the diesel shop. Its nearly spotless inside and out...never been worked. Completely stock except for a nice set of Bilstein shocks. It's strange somebody would buy this for a daily driver and never tow/haul but I like their style anyway. The previous owner actually put touch-up paint on the tow hooks, so you know it was their baby! Inside the bed is spotless. We put a brand new 5.4L long block in it, with all new Motorcraft underhood items such as water pump, hoses, belts, etc. I also put a set of 10-ply, 285 Cooper S/T Maxx tires on her. They're quiet for an agressive tire.

The chassis is just as clean as a new truck. Basically, it is a new truck at this point. I'm thinking of upgrading the stereo and speakers, maybe a sub and possibly remote start? I plan to add a bed cover and some sort of steps. The running boards just didn't do it for me. Here are some photos.

Has anybody had one of these 5.4's?

LEEVON 06-15-2017 11:49 AM

Re: Project "Man Truck"...it's a F#RD

4 Attachment(s)
Out with the old, in with the new.

LEEVON 06-15-2017 11:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Put about 300 miles on her, drives like a new truck. Now off to the detail shop, and these guys are really good. Normally they're working on Euro and exotic cars.

LEEVON 06-15-2017 12:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I put new factory decals on the bedsides, and took a pic of the polished black paint and door jamb.

lolife99 06-15-2017 12:13 PM

I'd like to find an '04 Silverado in that condition!
(actually a '06-'07 single cab 2wd short bed)

NICE TRUCK!

LEEVON 06-15-2017 12:17 PM

Thanks!

I will keep my eyes open. It seems like they're all 4.3 base model trucks...

Boog 06-16-2017 02:11 PM

Your wife should be happy in that one. ;)

Clyde65 06-16-2017 07:32 PM

Nice truck!

Only bad thing I have ever heard about the 5.4 is how the spark plugs get stuck in them and are a real b*** to get out!

hotrod 80 06-18-2017 03:37 PM

These really are great trucks . I had my 2000 for 14 years . My 99 has almost 300 K . Mine had 7.3s , but we have a work truck with a 5.4 and it tows 17,800 around in plant pretty well.

NONHOG 06-20-2017 02:29 PM

Looks very nice.
You probably already know about the spark plug procedure.
As mentioned above they can be a pain.
Sillyoldman has had a rash of issues with his, another friend had trouble free 420K on his before a head gasket blew.

LEEVON 06-26-2017 09:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Good to hear about the high miles on these. Not sure why the head gaskets gave out on the previous owner, but I'm not really worried about that happening again, besides 3yr/unlimited mileage warranty on the new unit. The new spark plugs got torqued to 28 ft/lbs, should be good to go for a long, long time.

The only thing I can say bad about this truck right now is the mileage...10.8 on the first couple of tanks. We're taking it on a long trip this week and I hope it does better on the highway. I added a nice bed cover for the trip, Truxedo Truxport. These have come a long way since I last bought one. Good price too.

67ChevyRedneck 06-26-2017 04:02 PM

Never changed the coolant? A 2004 is 13 years old now. I've read most modern coolants become corrosive after 6-7 years? But it seems that would have taken out the intake and not the head gaskets first?

Overall, nice truck!

LEEVON 07-19-2017 04:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks! Could have been coolant related, but I think it just had enough. Never will know.

So as soon as the engine was broken in, we took it on a trip to the Black Hills. We put approximately 3,000 miles on it in 8 or 9 days. It performed pretty much flawlessly, but between the open interstate at 80+mph, the hills and some off-roading we got a grand total of about 8.7mpg. I was considering keeping the truck and getting a fifth wheel, but that basically was a nail in the coffin. Plus it was woefully under powered in the hills. The gas tank would take a max of about 25 gallons, so we ended up filling up 12 times! That's only about 200 miles and when you're on a trip that's a pain. I can't imaging trying to pull anything with it between the power and gas. So when we got home I gave her a bath and put some photos on Facebook and Craigslist. Surprising the heck out of me, it was sold for full asking price in about 2 hours and the phone is still ringing two weeks later. I guess it was a nice truck! Oh well, I made $ and the new owner is thrilled, exactly what he was looking for. On to the next one!