The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=200082)

Rokcrln 05-21-2006 01:54 PM

Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pic's of an up and comming project. It is a 68 step side 2wd build I will be starting on in a few weeks for afellow board member. Alot of cab work was started by another shop and now it is getting to be time to finish it all up.

What has been started:
Shaved front drip rail.
Shaved and reformed side drips.
Welded rear roof line.
Floor and rocker repair.
Replaced a small section of the inner windshield area.
Total paint strip and primmed.
Started to set door gaps.
Rebuilt door hinges.

What I will be doing/re-doing:
Finish or fix everything listed above.
Create 3/16" door gaps everywhere.
Get the body ready for finish (pull and metal work all dings and dents)
Do a full "show car" fire wall shave and reforming.
And a whole lot more. I will let the owner fill you in on the rest of this plans if he want to let tings out of the bag!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 05-21-2006 01:55 PM

Re: Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

2 Attachment(s)
And the last for a few weeks!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

72CSTC5 05-21-2006 06:09 PM

You are going to have to quit your day job pretty soon.

cornutz 05-21-2006 08:00 PM

I agree! Where do you find the time in the day??? Sleep must not be an option for you at all!

jugernot 05-22-2006 04:34 PM

As Kevin stated he will soon work his magic on my cab. I would love to tell you all what is in store, but I think that pictures tell the story better. So you will have to wait for the play by play as Kevin does his work. In addition to the modification Kevin mention, we plan a few suttle mods. As for the project name Lemon Drop. The frame has a four/six DROP, and I plan on painting the body YELLOW. I am thinking of personalized plates "URN DROP" 18's in the front and 20's in the rear. I hope to have the truck in paint by the end of summer.

Stay tuned for progress updates from me or Kevin.

Thanks again Kevin.

Rokcrln 05-22-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jugernot
I hope to have the truck in paint by the end of summer.

He don't know me that well does hehehe!!:lol: Good thing he did not specify 2006 or 2007!!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

ChevyDude 05-22-2006 05:31 PM

Awesome dude!!! keep the pics coming!!! Question for you...when putting it back together does the cowl go on prior to the fenders? My painter flaked on me and I just don't see how to get the cowl on with fenders all bolted up???:crazy:

Thanks

Alex

Rokcrln 05-22-2006 06:04 PM

No the fender go on first then the cowl then hood. But before you tighten down your fender make sure all your gaps are set how you want them because once your cowl is on you can not get to the bolts to change things.

Heres a tip for ya! Go the the local paint store and get a roll of 2" blue or green masking tape and put over all your edges(door, fender, hood) where two parts might touch while adjusting things. This will give you a little protection against chips. Do not use the regular masking tape as it has too much glue and can pull soft paint and it leaves a residue behind as well. The best to use in my opinion is the green but it is more money then the blue.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

cstanley 05-22-2006 06:08 PM

that one's gonna be nice. what's the difficulty level/involvement for shaving the drip rails? i know it was previously done, but still...

glock35ipsc 05-22-2006 08:52 PM

Not to steal the thread, but Kevin - Is welding the upper rear seam the best way to clean that up? I would like to do that too, and was wondering what the best way is?

jugernot - From what I've seen so far on this board, your cab is in the BEST hands possible for sheet metal work!!!

Rokcrln 05-22-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc
Not to steal the thread, but Kevin - Is welding the upper rear seam the best way to clean that up? I would like to do that too, and was wondering what the best way is?

If you want the rear seam "shaved" then yes it does need welding and then in my opinion then the best way to finish it from their is to use lead as a filler for anything beyond fill-primer. This part of the cab can get some vibration so I do not feel bondo is a long lasting product for this area. My self I fell the rear seam looks great when you have it stripped to bare metal and use just enough primer and paint as needed leaving a real nice crisp line. The problem I have with welding up this seam is the body does not flow real well at that point. In order to make it flow (to my liking) you would need to cut the roof cack about 3" on each side of the seam and roll out a new filler piece that creats a smooth flow. But this option is big $ because you also need to remove the headliner so you can work both sides of the metal.

Kevin
LFD Inc

Rokcrln 07-23-2006 10:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It's time to get started on this beast! It is now in the good side of the shop (where stuff gets done) and I will get started on it this week:metal: Sorry for the weight but I had more work in front of me than I thought! All those jobs are done for now and it will just be this project untill it is finished.

Here are a few shots from today (7hrs in 110* heat with out air) in order to get this side of the shop ready!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

jugernot 07-23-2006 11:54 PM

Thats weird that you type a response today. Earlier I re-visited this link to refresh my memory of what it said.

Thanks for the update. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

78Bronco 07-24-2006 10:03 AM

Wow, pictures of a Bronco on this forum...... is that legal?

Rokcrln 07-25-2006 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78Bronco
Wow, pictures of a Bronco on this forum...... is that legal?

SHhhhhhhhhhhh! We don't talk about these things! Youy know he is their and he is quite different than the rest of the kids but you don't point him out, you just don't!!!!!!!!! ;)

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 07-29-2006 02:05 AM

Project starts first thing Saturday morning with a full fire wall shave and rework. Pic's to come!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

72CSTC5 07-29-2006 10:07 AM

Sneaky, I saw how you slipped those orphan kid shots in there. That was brilliant. I thought wow, the owner of lemon drop changed dircetions and was going with a yellow Bronco. You forgot to stretch the quarter to fit the 24" wheels in the back when you bag and bodydrop that thing. Nice work Kevin.

Rokcrln 07-29-2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72CSTC5
You forgot to stretch the quarter to fit the 24" wheels in the back when you bag and bodydrop that thing. Nice work Kevin.

How did you know it was going 2wd? No body drop but it should be getting a 4.6 Cobra set up with IFS and maybe IRS as well then 18's or 20's!;)

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 07-29-2006 08:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is stage one of the fire wall. Stage two will be first part of the week.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

jugernot 07-29-2006 09:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Keving Its looking great. Glad I could help with the up coming THING as well. I am looking forward to seeing both of them complete. I am off from work next Sunday, if you need any help let me know. I would be great to see the MASTER at work. You don't charge anything to watch do you??????

I just got a bunch of parts back from powder coating. Here are some pics of some of the parts.

Rokcrln 07-29-2006 10:00 PM

Parts look great, I like the powder chrome my self. And yes I do charge to watch, ?? per hour:lol: And that up comming THING is on the down low if you know what I mean:cool:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 08-01-2006 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got some time tonight for the fire wall part 2. The pass side now matches the drivers side for a much better look. I will get two the wire rail in the next day or so.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Hart_Rod 08-01-2006 11:11 PM

Do you have a side picture Kevin?

R

Rokcrln 08-03-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
Do you have a side picture Kevin?

R

Not yet as I did not want to complete the top untill I re-shoot the Epoxy anywhere that will be covered. Should get to finish it up this weekend. I got all the epoxy/filler primer today as well as 10lbs of .035 tig rod for more body welding. I have been using my mig wire while I was waiting for the new rod to come in. That stuff sure does not like to go strait:rolleyes:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln 08-04-2006 08:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
All primed and ready for the top wire rail to get filled in the morning!

Kevin
LFD Inc.