The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Project Checkbook - 1971 Jimmy Custom (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=641532)

tristan 12-30-2015 10:52 PM

Re: Project Checkbook - 1971 Jimmy Custom

5 Attachment(s)
Very nice looking engine compartment, I hope mine comes out as well. I wouldn't sweat the engine color that much unless you are headed for the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance or the show circuit where points are deducted for such things. Most people wouldn't know the difference.

My shop continued the engine degreasing and disassembly after I left this morning. Maybe I'll see some of that Fireball Red coming out of the rattle cans soon.

tristan 12-31-2015 11:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Good news, "Fireball Red" now applied to block; bad news, busted off stud seat on the intake manifold so I've been assigned a new treasure hunt. Anybody got one?

tristan 01-09-2016 05:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Engine re-assembly is now well along. I located and purchased a replacement intake manifold on EBay. The shop replaced all of the engine's gaskets and seals while it was disassembled. It has excellent compression, oil pressure and vacuum so it didn't need further teardown and rebuild. The rusty exhaust manifolds were sandblasted and coated with a high-temp POR product.

The rolling frame and suspension is off-site being sandblasted and is expected back next week. Once it has been POR'd then major re-assembly will begin. I have purchased all new brake and fuel lines, an NOS fan shroud and new AC condenser just this week. Progress is picking up.

IronCanine 01-09-2016 10:19 PM

That sure is purdy. I kinda like that gumball red. ;)

tristan 01-12-2016 06:55 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some before and after shots of the rebuilt and repainted transfer case. Quite a change from a month ago! I told them to imitate Iron Canine's impeccable job.

Chulisohombre 01-12-2016 11:39 AM

Lookin good.

IronCanine 01-12-2016 12:02 PM

Looks great...this is my favorite part. Reference pics look familiar;). I always had Pete's K20 thread called up in my phone...if ever I had a question, I'd just click on the link and copy what I saw!

tristan 02-20-2016 04:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm still waiting for the frame to come back from the sandblaster, a delay which has now stretched for a month. Some other things have started to come back in the meantime. Here are the front and back bumpers which turned out very well. The front had bends and dings which the plater managed to work out of it. I'm still waiting on the grille and some other small stuff to come back. The next big ticket item is purchasing new wiring harnesses. I'll post some more pictures when the frame is back and painted. Once that is done then re-assembly will begin.

tristan 03-02-2016 07:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The frame has finally been liberated from the clutches of the contract sandblaster, who held up progress for 6 weeks. I'm going over to see it Saturday so brace yourselves for a slew of pictures. In the mean time work has re-commenced on the tub. I didn't like the way the interior paint came out so it has been buffed out in anticipation of a respray.

Since the shop is working on the interior we decided it would make sense to start prepping the exterior for final paint. The pictures show the temporary paint job shown in post 30 removed and final high/low spot treatment in process. It should be in primer by the time I see it on Saturday.

Most of my recent activity and expense has been in parts procurement. I have purchased new stainless steel brake and fuel lines via GMC Pauls and a new Painless wiring harness from Summit. I have also procured replacement parts for much of the AC system, including a new condenser and vacuum can. I am still waiting for the grille and some other brightwork to come back from the plater.

One of the best aspects of the forum has been discovering forum members who specialize in rebuilding specific components of our trucks. I have used members to rebuild my instrument panel, steering column and radio. Last week I shipped my heater and AC boxes and cores out to another one for a comprehensive makeover, and purchased stainless steel power steering lines from yet another member who makes them as a specialty item.

More on Saturday.

hemi43 03-02-2016 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristan (Post 7506070)
so brace yourselves for a slew of pictures.

More on Saturday.

Ohhhhhh !! We like pictures !!;););)

tristan 03-03-2016 06:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the tub with the exterior now straightened, block sanded and primed.

tristan 03-05-2016 01:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
As threatened, here are pictures of the frame halfway through finish sandblasting. On Monday it will be flipped over on the rotisserie and completed so that the shop can get the primer and then POR-15 on it next week. That long-postponed occasion marks the end of teardown and disassembly. From here on end things will start being finished up and re-assembled.

tristan 03-05-2016 02:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After discussion with the shop personnel today I've decided to invest some extra money in having show-quality prep and paint done. That involves extra block sanding of the major flat panel surfaces. The tub is well along and the exterior of the doors are started. Sometime next week they will begin on the fenders and tailgate.

tristan 03-05-2016 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Off-topic for this forum but I thought you might like to see my Jimmy's next door neighbor in the car and truck hospital. It is the most beautiful factory blue I have ever seen.

72gmguy 03-05-2016 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice! My dad has a 63 split window and a 67. The 67 is marina blue. Similar color to what you have

Attachment 1506481

72gmguy 03-05-2016 04:19 PM

Sorry. Couldn't flip the pic.

tristan 03-05-2016 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got it! Beautiful 'Vettes, thanks for sharing.

tristan 03-19-2016 06:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have now reached a huge milestone, completion of all teardown and parts cleanup. From this point forward my project will be all about painting and re-assembly. I am also now out of truck money so this will be my last post for a while. My project is going on hold until I finish licking my financial wounds. However, I had all of the work on the Jimmy done to show quality so the final results should be spectacular if I can ever scrape up the money to finish.

Here are a couple of pics of the completed frame and core support.

tristan 03-19-2016 06:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got a killer deal on this item the shop had left over from another project. Should be awesome installed in the Jimmy!

tristan 03-19-2016 06:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just kidding, Old Faithful is now sitting back in place.

tristan 03-19-2016 06:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Last word (or letters) for a while

Chulisohombre 03-19-2016 10:20 PM

Some good work there. Well On your way to as good as new. Maybe better as the factory only hit the besides art spots with paint. I'm sure you are getting much better coverage.

mx289 03-20-2016 04:46 PM

Looks great Dave.

The wait will no doubt be worth it.;)

tristan 03-22-2016 08:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I managed to scrape up enough to get a little more work done. Note the picture of my idol [I]Iron Canine's[I] uber-detailed engine compartment atop the V-8 for reference purposes. All of the dust over everything is from the panel straightening that has been going on on my exterior sheet metal.

hemi43 03-23-2016 09:56 AM

You're gonna have a difficult time fitting those fenders in the background !;)