The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dealer engraved rear bumper?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=552987)

bobs409 11-22-2012 08:03 AM

Dealer engraved rear bumper??

5 Attachment(s)
I've seen it all now! Just got this parts truck yesterday. Check out the huge dealer ad that is engraved into the rear bumper. I'm guessing this was a Texas truck? Maybe everything really is BIGGER in Texas then?

I get mad when a dealer puts a sticker on with their name. I don't think I would want my brand new 72 Cheyenne/10 to have this. :lol:

While I'm on the subject, I was going to fix this truck but then learned it only had a junk certificate. That killed that idea so I just bought it for parts.

mcmlxix 11-22-2012 08:08 AM

Re: Dealer engraved rear bumper??

There are some guys in Texas looking for those bumpers...

Tx Firefighter 11-22-2012 08:08 AM

Many, many trucks in Texas had dealer bumpers like that. Personally, I dig them. It shows the truck has local history.

I'm sure in Pennsylvania, your fellow drivers will have a whole lot of envy when they see you own something from Texas. It should be quite the status symbol. :lol:

carwhore 11-22-2012 08:32 AM

My truck has a Texas bumper. Taylor Chevy Dallas Texas. Funny thing is a local dealer where I live is also Taylor chevy.
Posted via Mobile Device

midniteblues 11-22-2012 08:41 AM

cool score that truck looks pretty solid for being around here.
I like them big texas bumpers they are just unique compared too the standard step or sport bumper that one doesnt even look that big but its still cool.

that sad about the title that truck would be cool to put back on the road

CREWCABGMC 11-22-2012 08:57 AM

Thats not only a Texas thing, Several dealers here in Missouri did the same thing. One that I remember was Jim Rush Chevy Osceola, Mo.
( No longer in business.)

70c10-08 11-22-2012 10:00 AM

my truck once had one on it and it said Kerr Chevrolet Hastings, Nebraska

hugger6933 11-22-2012 10:11 AM

Quite common in AR as well I have several laying around from different dealers. They were a common sight here in this area until the 1988 body style trucks came out. Until then most of the trucks had an aftermarket bumper of some kind and a "dealer" bumper was the least expensive way to go. Jim

Lee H 11-22-2012 10:16 AM

Love the dealer stamped bumpers. Wish I still had one from a dealer in Grand Island Nebraska.
Posted via Mobile Device

eldogg 11-22-2012 12:01 PM

We had bumpers like that here in Ga too.

stexag 11-22-2012 12:11 PM

My late uncle was the Chevrolet dealer in Robstown, Texas. Jennings Chevrolet was the dealership. Robstown is a farming community and when those bumpers were popular most of the people driving trucks where farmers or businesses who appreciated a substantial step bumper. He would order most trucks without rear bumpers (IIRC) and those were dealer installed items.

Until the mid 80's we had an old '69 on the farm with a bumper from his dealership; but it was sold into Mexico at some point in time. Now that I have another '69 I plan to make a visit to some junkyards in the Robstown/Corpus Christi area in the hopes of finding a bumper stamped "Jennings Chevrolet".

cdowns 11-22-2012 12:28 PM

i've seen both over the years stamped and written out in a welding bead

rogergodding 11-22-2012 12:29 PM

My son's is from Commerce TX.... Mine had one on it when I got it but I don't remember what was stamped on it....

Rob68c10 11-22-2012 12:44 PM

My 68 has one. It's from Arkansas I think

Hubscrub 11-22-2012 01:26 PM

my 71 had one too it was sold only 25 miles from me originally

bodydropped68 11-22-2012 01:30 PM

My 72 has one from Oriely Chevrolet here in Tucson.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sillyoldman 11-22-2012 01:46 PM

I use to see them dealer stamped bumpers back in the day. I did not care for them at the time but they are somewhat cool now. I get a laugh out of the dealerships now. My wife drives a Honda and alternates dealerships for service. Each time they switch out the license plate frames to advertise their business. One time I called them out on it. I made onr take theirs off and replace it with the other's frame. I'm not sure how they acquired it.

thelonerife 11-22-2012 05:28 PM

I'd like to find one with Rife Chevrolet Grundy VA

Fat chance huh?

special-K 11-22-2012 10:06 PM

I've always thought this was a cool feature on trucks. I'll buy that thing if you don't want it. I know this isn't a parts for sale thread,but you said you don't like it and you are parting the truck because of bum title. I'd hate to see it scrapped and for all I know you're only parting for your own use,no plans to list parts for sale.

black_sheep454 11-22-2012 10:34 PM

Two of my trucks have them and my dads old 70 use to before we restored it
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...s/17f0dec2.jpg
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...s/5b2a1d52.jpg
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...s/ac2f1158.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

WIDESIDE72 11-23-2012 12:38 AM

My brother restored the 72 Cheyenne my uncle bought new and used the AJ FOYT Chevrolet Houston, Tx bumper it had since new. How cool is that?

I just picked up a 69 or 70 stepside parts truck that has one of the dealer bumpers on it. My dad is actually the one who went and looked at it. He said he forgot what dealer it was but it was in mint condition. I have been looking for a chrome sport rear bumper for another project for a long time, but maybe this is a sign! (?)

oldblue1968chevy 11-23-2012 01:58 AM

Tn had em too my ol gmc had one

bk2life 11-23-2012 03:38 AM

seems to be what everyone is saying, is that bumper is worth money. your truck has a "junk" certificate on it, what does that mean?

bobs409 11-23-2012 07:35 AM

Here in PA when a car or truck is junked, the title gets sent in to the DMV with JUNK marked on it.

Someone comes along and buys that vehicle and wants to put it back on the road can only get a junk certificate. (this is the way I always heard it anyway)

That of course kills resale value because it no longer has a PA title but that dreded junk certificate that no one wants.

It makes the vehicle sound like it was constructed of junkers but in fact, most times like in the case of this truck, it never made it into the yard.

A real shame because this is an AC truck and is quite fixable! I cleaned the box out yesterday that had 4 inches thick of compost (wasn't put in there as compost but turned into it) and found it's in really decent shape. Only a dime size hole in the whole floor! (southerners will laugh about that statement but here in PA, it's RARE!) I will be putting the box on my 71 Cheyenne/20 which has a floor just about falling out of it! :lol:

I could have just bought parts from it but wanted to "rescue" all the good parts. Everything that is good down to various bolts will be saved or resold so that other trucks may live on. Proceeds naturally help pay to fix my vehicles. :)

Due to the rules on this site, please don't ask to purchase anything as this is not a for sale ad. I like it here and don't want to get kicked out.

Thanks,

Bob

bobs409 11-23-2012 07:41 AM

I've never seen these bumpers around here and I've seen plenty of trucks in my day. Maybe PA dealers didn't do this.

I would think that each dealer got some type of machine that engraved their name? Wonder what that contraption looked like. :lol:

Just stuck me as odd due to the size of this "ad". :lol: A little bold to say the least. I know if I bought a new truck, I don't think I would want a dealer ad like that permanently plastered on my bumper. Imagine looking at that everyday. JMO ;)