The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   rebuilt steering column (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768426)

1tuff71 07-29-2018 08:46 AM

rebuilt steering column

Ok guys I'm trying to find a guy on here that sells rebuilt columns. I know about Kevsclassics and I'm not trying to take business away from him but shipping from the left coast to the right is pretty costly. Kevs in Calif were I wish I still lived and I'm in S.Carolina. the other guy is somewhere in the mid east I think. Any one know ????

hemi43 07-29-2018 05:16 PM

Re: rebuilt steering column

Just wondering what could be so wrong with yours that you need another? All parts are available to fix whatever issue you have. Aftermarket new columns like "Ididit" are not nearly as well built as the original ones.

1tuff71 07-29-2018 05:58 PM

Honestly ripping into the column is not something I want to do. If I had one to practice on maybe I would but isn't that what we have guys on this board do. If we were all pros at ALL the things on these trucks we wouldn't need them. Right? Anyway Mine won't stay in park so trying to work on it while its running is well just plane scary and it flops like a wet rag. I hear great things about Kev on here and that he can make it like new. I may take mine and rebuild it myself and sell it.

bluek5 07-29-2018 08:59 PM

Are you thinking about Les 70Shortfleet ?

1tuff71 07-30-2018 06:11 AM

yes that's the guy I believe rebuilds them too. not sure about his work though. has anyone here done business with him.

1tuff71 07-30-2018 06:16 AM

yes I believe that's the one I heard of before. has anyone done business with him that can verify his quality of work ??

68panelman 07-30-2018 09:41 AM

Unless your Blazer is the daily driver,
Get the parts and yank that sucker,
Bring it inside, set it up on the kitchen table and get to work. There's not a lot to them.

hemi43 07-30-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1tuff71 (Post 8311440)
Honestly ripping into the column is not something I want to do. If I had one to practice on maybe I would but isn't that what we have guys on this board do. If we were all pros at ALL the things on these trucks we wouldn't need them. Right? Anyway Mine won't stay in park so trying to work on it while its running is well just plane scary and it flops like a wet rag. I hear great things about Kev on here and that he can make it like new. I may take mine and rebuild it myself and sell it.

We are here to help !
If your truck won't stay in park, the problem is not in the column. It will either be the linkage going to the transmission, or the detent plate located at the base of the column is worn. Regardless of which column you decide to go with, you will still have to use that detent plate.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1394124191

DeBattista 08-02-2018 01:30 PM

Yah, honestly I wouldn't be too scared of ripping apart that column the only trick is remember the order stuff goes back. I just this week took apart a tilt and a non-tilt column and the only things I would is forget to put certain parts in the right order thinking I could put it in later.

tristan 08-03-2018 05:45 AM

Les does beautiful work. He has done two tilt columns for me and they came back better than new, including the one that UPS turned oblong during the trip from my house to his.