The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Old Air Vs. Vintage Air (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=61254)

gmc67swb 07-19-2003 04:26 PM

Old Air Vs. Vintage Air

OK, ITS HOT OUTSIDE HERE IN TEXAS. I'VE SEEN SEVERAL POSTS WITH A/C SUBJECTS. NOW HERE'S MINE. I'M WANTING TO PUT ONE OF THE TWO KITS IN A NON-AIR TRUCK. GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS ON THE TWO KITS.OLD AIR OR VINTAGE AIR.

DR67 07-19-2003 05:35 PM

I would also like to see some feedback on this, am planning on air before next summer.

DR67

ddsmith 07-19-2003 05:53 PM

I have not installed both so I can only comment on what went into my decision for an Old Air unit. I remember GMC Paul when he was deciding which unit to carry and he decided on Old Air unit because of several advantages. I think it came down to indiviual piece are replaceable in the Old Air unit but not in the Vintage Air unit and the position of the blower with relation to air flow path. The Vintage Air unit had to negotiate a 90 degree turn before exiting the unit and Old Air was a straight shot. I wish I could compare both myself but only have one truck with air. I like keeping the original control panel for use with the system and Old Air does that. Price was also an issue. The Old Air unit was $906 to my door with pretty much everything included. The instructions were a little lacking but there customer support was great by phone. I wouldn't recommend trying to get them by e-mail though.

Tx Firefighter 07-19-2003 06:30 PM

Old-Air is located about 30 miles from my house. I have used them for various projects on street rods and such. I like them because they are a short drive away, AND they have helped me with some strange parts requests over the years.

I cannot comment one way or the other about Vintage-Air though.

bigvinnie 07-19-2003 07:11 PM

I installed a vintage air R134 unit in my non-AC truck about 5 yrs ago, used the original non-AC control panel and have not had a problem with it... I believe they have made improvements to the Sure Fit series kits since I bought mine, but don't know what was changed...I went with different side vents but used the original center vent.

I usually only need to have my fan on low speed to keep the cab cool here in SoCal...

sgtjed 07-19-2003 10:24 PM

hit 107 here today and this is somthing that came to mind today too!!:D its hard to drive around and look cool when ya are pouring sweat.

tyger25 07-19-2003 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ddsmith
Price was also an issue. The Old Air unit was $906 to my door with pretty much everything included.
What do you mean pretty much everything? Did you have to purchase somethings seperately?

ddsmith 07-19-2003 11:57 PM

I had to purchase some 5/8" heater hose and a threaded fitting for the water pump to 5/8" hose. This proved to be a challenge because I couldn't get what I needed so I piece together a fitting that would work. I also needed to get hose clamps. The A/C compressor belt, three cans of R-134A and I got some push nut things for the control pins to retain the cables on the levers. They are probably not necessary but I put them on anyways. So as you can see no real showstoppers in this list of items. Many will already have most of it laying around.

chevy71super 07-19-2003 11:57 PM

It sounds like both systems work well. My gues is they both use the same compressor. My V.A. went in without a hitch (the instructions could be better) but I would say if Old Air brings in outside air go with it. Its not a problem with V.A. when cooling but I would prefer to have fresh outside air when heating. (Keeps the fog down off the windows.) I will take some pics of the installation to post.

Another thing is with either system it pays to shop around. The most common list price on the V.A. I see is $1,095. I made a few phone calls and I believe I paid around $950 out the door for mine. Again it sounds like GMC Paul has a good price on the Old Air system.

SweetandLong68 07-20-2003 03:38 AM

I have been wondering the same things as you guys have about these two systems. I want to make sure I buy the best system for my truck when I do get it.

A couple ?s tho.

Do either of these systems bring in any freshair??? Or do they just resurculate the air inside the cabin already? I also worry/wonder about fogging of the windows if no freshair is brought in...Any ideas?

thanks
CHRIS

pat 07-20-2003 12:13 PM

Is that $905 cost for a non AC cab?

Where in Texas is Old Air?

Tx Firefighter 07-20-2003 12:34 PM

Old Air

Old Air is right down the road from you in Fort Worth...

BTW Pat, I bought a neat little 70 short step in Gainesville 2 weeks ago. Found it in the Thrify Nickle paper.

SweetandLong68 07-20-2003 01:28 PM

Did you pay a Nickle? That would be a heck-of-a deal ;) hehe Cant ever have enough trucks is my opinion!

lata
CHRIS

ddsmith 07-20-2003 01:51 PM

You got to love when a pop-up takes out some stuff you already typed. Very strange. Anyway I wrote that I believe both systems are design to be 100% recirc air. I know that the Old Air is that way. I don't believe that not having fresh air position causes the fogging of the glass. I think it is caused by defroster damper leakby. The damper is cable operated and can be fiddled with until you get the adjustment you like. Just as a tidbit of information gained from the Old Air unit install. If you must have some outside air drawn into the cab and you are using a factory A/C control panel you can leave the vacuum hoses and can attached to the truck. One of the ports on the control panel vacuum valve provides vacuum to the kick panel vent and opens it. This is provided it was an A/C factory cab. If it is not then you would need an A/C control panel and the damper actuation diaphragm. The top lever of the controller is what makes this work and on my install the top lever does nothing now. Bringing in fresh air will raise vent temperatures and raise in vent temps which will in turn reduce windshield fogging if the defroster ducts are leaking by. An added benefit is the unit draws air from the passenger foot well area which is were the kick panel vent provides air. Hope this information will help.

ddsmith 07-20-2003 01:54 PM

Quote:

Is that $905 cost for a non AC cab?
Pat my unit came with everything for a non-A/C cab with the exception of the drivers and passenger side factory style vents. The center vent was included. Check GMC Paul's website and you should be able to get the price.

gmc67swb 07-22-2003 08:38 PM

just one more thought for yall. what would be better under dash vents or the in dash vents. I noticed that with the under dash you get 4 vents and with the in-dash you get 3 vents.-
:confused: :confused:

Jemost 72 07-23-2003 02:50 AM

My 9 year olds' opinion

I have the Old Air system in a factory air cab:

I had the original driver/pasg side vents and the dual kit vents mounted below the a/c controls. It was good, but mostly blew my knees. I saw a new style factory center vent duct that had one hose inlet instead of two. It stated the air flow would be harder. It wasnt, so I went back to the dual kit vents.
My truck is going to the paint shop next week so I've gutted the interior. As an experiment, I got a block off cap from Old Air(free) and capped off one of the ports from the a/c box. I'm back to using the new factory center vent and it blows harder. My daughter, who loves a/c, says to keep it this way....

casey 07-23-2003 03:20 AM

speeching of air I'm getting a compressor put in friday, mine seized up, the a/c guy says they are using a new freon now R12A, he says its much better, it carries the oil in the freon better, he said with the 134 freon, if your system is down 10% the oiling efficency to the compressor is down 40%, he says they don't make compressors like they use too, He tells me in texas the average compressor last about 27 months, any of you texans vouch for this. He also told me the new expensive vehicles are doing away with the convenional a/c system, they have theses electrical plates the heat when the current runs through them one way and cool when the current runs the other way, and they run off of a 42 volt system, anyone heard of this

Frank_Zeller 07-23-2003 09:39 AM

I went with the Old Air system initially because:

1) They use a larger front condenser

2) They have a suck though evaporator design.

BUT

After living with it for a year

The old air system uses to small of an evaporator. Couple that with the suck though designs that causes the air not to flow past the very bottom of the evaporator, makes them prone to freeze up. As the water condenses from the top it leaks down to the bottom section where it freezes because of the minimal airflow. I had to modify mine box and temp cycle switch to make it work somewhat right.

The Vintage Air uses a larger evaporator and blow though designs. This so reduces the chances of freeze up. But limits max airflow.

If I had to do it again I would get the Vintage Air set up but use the larger front condenser.

Mike Culpepper 07-23-2003 10:22 AM

Check out the FAQ section. ddsmith has an excellent description of the Old Air install and I tried to give some insight of the same for the Vintage air system, so there would be one place where someone could go to see a side by side comparison of the twi units. I've only had my VA unit in use for about two months but it works well with no problems so far.
Mike

pat 07-23-2003 10:27 AM

Re: Old Air

Quote:

Originally posted by Tx Firefighter
Old Air is right down the road from you in Fort Worth...

BTW Pat, I bought a neat little 70 short step in Gainesville 2 weeks ago. Found it in the Thrify Nickle paper.

Cool, what color was it? I may have seen it. There's been quite a few trucks for sale Ive seen up here.

lewi 07-23-2003 02:27 PM

Thaks for all the comments regardig the AC systems. It's always a bit warm (over 100) in the summers here and I have to redo the air in my 71. Its a factory system now but I am leaning towards the Vintage System but would love to see some pictures of the two systems as this will have some impact on which I choose.

Thanks for all the help you guys give!!

69sixpackbee 07-23-2003 06:45 PM

I love my Old Air unit!

ddsmith 07-23-2003 09:28 PM

Just thought I would let everyone know that Mike was nice enough to provide some good information to allow comparison of the Vintage Air and the Old Air systems. Now maybe most of the easier questions are already answered in the FAQ about the differences. Here is a link to Mike's post on the Vintage Air system.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=61810
Thanks again, Mike

Tx Firefighter 07-23-2003 10:41 PM

Re: Re: Old Air

Quote:

Originally posted by pat

Cool, what color was it? I may have seen it. There's been quite a few trucks for sale Ive seen up here.

1300 dollars. 6 cylinder 3 speed. Same owner for last 24 years.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...&postid=451198