The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Installing the cam gear, and harmonic balancer on an L6 250 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=417600)

LandonL 08-21-2010 11:22 AM

Installing the cam gear, and harmonic balancer on an L6 250

Alright, before I start throwing stuff in the engine I wanna clear up a few things.
First of all, will I be able to install a camshaft gear properly at home, or must I take it to a shop and have them do it? If I am able to, can someone please explain a good method to do so?

On the harmonic balancer of the L6 250 the crank snout is NOT tapped. Is there a tool I will be able to use to easily install the balancer? If so what tool?

Thanks to anyone who helps.

LandonL 08-21-2010 11:47 AM

Re: Installing the cam gear, and harmonic balancer on an L6 250

This really has me downed, I don't want to have to take the crank back to the machine shop to have them tap the end. Is there anyway? Someone must've done this before? I do know people here know how to properly install a cam gear as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dwcsr 08-21-2010 12:26 PM

You can drill and tap it yourself but it won't stay tight due to your eye not being as good as a drill press or lathe they use. I went through the on a small block and the bolt never stayed tight.

Bring the cam, gear and retainer when you take the crank over. have them do it all at one time.

LandonL 08-21-2010 12:31 PM

Guys, do you think this would work for the balancer? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=414924_0_0_

I've already had the crank ground by the place, and would really be looking to save money at this point because they were pretty pricey. Can I do the cam gear myself?

LandonL 08-21-2010 01:48 PM

Figured out in my head that puller/installer won't work. Any idea's anyone?

dwcsr 08-21-2010 08:41 PM

If you have a press you can press the gear on yourself. Do not bang it on with a hammer. You will eithe damage the gear or bust the cam. They break fairly easy

The dampers were pressed on with a large hydraulic C clamp device that clamped behind the crank nose with #1 at tdc and the balancer. Hammering the balancer on can damage the thrust bearing and possibly the crank. At this point I would not cheap out on the drilling or press work.

LandonL 08-21-2010 09:04 PM

Tom Langdon @ stoveboltengineco said to use a piece of wood and smack it on with a hammer.

dwcsr 08-21-2010 10:41 PM

smack what on with a hammer?

Davetopay 08-21-2010 10:56 PM

The cam gear should be an easy one......:devil:
Stick the cam gear in the oven at a medium temp for a few minutes to get it good and hot.
Get some canned air and spray it on the snout of the cam while holding the can upside down. This will freeze it.

Using welding gloves, oven mits, etc, slip the gear on the cam.

LandonL 08-21-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcsr (Post 4151074)
smack what on with a hammer?

The balancer, he said hit only the hub.

I've come this far, so I just said screw it. It's all going to the machine shop, I really, REALLY don't wanna screw this build up.

raycow 08-21-2010 11:36 PM

Chevy made an awful lot of engines that never had threads in the crank. I have hammered more balancers on than I can remember and didn't have a problem with any of them. That means use a block of wood under the hammer. Don't pound directly on the balancer.

Now the cam gear is a totally different story. If the cam is already installed in the engine, NEVER hammer on it. The reason is that you can drive the cam out the back of the block, and you do NOT want to replace that freeze plug if the engine is still in the truck.

Ray

LandonL 08-23-2010 09:41 PM

Alright, I'm sure everyone will be pleased to know I had the machine shop tap the end of the crank snout. $50.00

Ordered new timing gears, if I heat the gear, and use the air upside down, will it most likely slide right on using my hands, or will force be required?

Is there a tool to install the crank gear, or same method as cam?

dwcsr 08-23-2010 09:49 PM

when you go to put the balancer on use a threaded rod screwed all the way in.Slide the balancer over the rod then take 2 washers and put grease in between them and then a nut. that way you pull the balancer on with all the threads instead of just what the bolt can get to.

LandonL 08-23-2010 10:00 PM

Im just going to rent a balancer install tool so I don't destroy the threads. Any idea on the gear q's?

67-1sttimer 11-13-2010 08:33 PM

Im having to replace my cam, were you able to remove the cam while the engine was in truck? Does the cam and gear come out together, any advice? I hope your got your worked out/

LandonL 11-13-2010 09:47 PM

I got this worked out long ago. I had the engine out when I removed it, however to do it with the engine in you'll have a very limited workspace but it would be do-able. Just rent a harmonic balancer puller/installer. You'll need access to a press to get the gear on and off. Good luck.