The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   windshiels washer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=573258)

philB 03-30-2013 02:18 PM

windshiels washer

'69 c10, checked for washer not working, removed whiper motor with pump and checked pump and it works ok on the bench, coil pulls in the stop and workd untill it gets to a high spot on the plastic wheel and it holds the pump arm from moving in, cant get it to release when the coil is pulled in, need a new assy or can this be a repair?

c10srule 03-30-2013 03:55 PM

Re: windshiels washer

never had any luck with those, i always put an electric pump in line

Mister-B 03-30-2013 04:11 PM

The stock pumps on these trucks are garbage. Just get a bottle off a newer S10. You'll get a bigger reservoir, and the motor is built in to the bottle. Very easy fix

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps8e62ec18.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

exdrocca 03-30-2013 04:45 PM

I am currently having the same problem. So with the s10 pump and reservoir, is that wired to a new switch/button or can you wire it to the original wiper button?

Mister-B 03-30-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exdrocca (Post 5980859)
I am currently having the same problem. So with the s10 pump and reservoir, is that wired to a new switch/button or can you wire it to the original wiper button?

It just wires right in to the stock button. You get some flat blade connectors, and just run it right to it.

If you search my old posts, there are instructions
Posted via Mobile Device

Lee H 03-30-2013 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mr. B is right, very easy mod and it works far better than stock. About $6 bucks at your local pick a part.

aventur1 03-30-2013 06:29 PM

Good idea, been having trouble with mine, already ran all new hoses.

bobs409 03-31-2013 06:36 AM

I wouldn't say these pumps are garbage. All mine work just fine. (and I have 9!) The only problem I ever had was if a vehicle sat a long time or was run out of fluid, you have to reprime it.

This style pump was used on GM cars & trucks for a long time. I'd rather use original parts instead of tacking on new parts to my old trucks. No S10's for me. :chevy:

BugzC10 03-31-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister-B (Post 5980818)
The stock pumps on these trucks are garbage. Just get a bottle off a newer S10. You'll get a bigger reservoir, and the motor is built in to the bottle. Very easy fix

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps8e62ec18.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Master....could we see another picture from a different angle. The "newer" ones I'm seeing on-line (ebay) look different.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Mister-B 03-31-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 5982029)
Master....could we see another picture from a different angle. The "newer" ones I'm seeing on-line (ebay) look different.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

They must be a little different, based on what year S10. If you look above at LeeH's pic, you'll see another one. You basically just need a bottle about that size, that has the motor built in, and has two wires coming from the motor if the unit. You then wire those to where your old one went, and your original button makes it turn on

If you still need another pic, let me know, but Lee's pic should help
Posted via Mobile Device

1972SUPERSB 03-31-2013 10:50 AM

I installed an ac delco electric pump under dash and wired it to wiper switch works just like factory just much better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lee H 03-31-2013 11:10 AM

Any S10 or full size are about the same size, pump in front or back, your choose.

BugzC10 04-01-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobs409 (Post 5982004)
I wouldn't say these pumps are garbage. All mine work just fine. (and I have 9!) The only problem I ever had was if a vehicle sat a long time or was run out of fluid, you have to reprime it.

This style pump was used on GM cars & trucks for a long time. I'd rather use original parts instead of tacking on new parts to my old trucks. No S10's for me. :chevy:

Hey Bob....what's the procedure to repriming? Like to try that before replacing the pumps.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

bobs409 04-02-2013 06:54 AM

If the pump makes the clicking sound but no fluid, you just reprime by taking the cap off the washer tank, flip it over and attach a funnel to the hose. Fill with water and then work the pump. Gravity will help the water to make it's way to the pump. Once it starts squirting, simply remove funnel and replace the cap. If there are no other problems it should be all fixed.

BugzC10 04-02-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobs409 (Post 5986465)
If the pump makes the clicking sound but no fluid, you just reprime by taking the cap off the washer tank, flip it over and attach a funnel to the hose. Fill with water and then work the pump. Gravity will help the water to make it's way to the pump. Once it starts squirting, simply remove funnel and replace the cap. If there are no other problems it should be all fixed.

Thanks.....good news is, it does click when I push the washer button. I'll try the reprise today. :chevy:
Posted via Mobile Device

bobs409 04-03-2013 07:01 AM

I see cleaner windshields in your future. :D

BugzC10 04-03-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobs409 (Post 5988570)
I see cleaner windshields in your future. :D

Not in the near future. Attempted Reprime with no luck. I got water to flow through the pump by gravity feed, but the pump would not move the water on its own.
Have you ever used one of the pump repair kits? They're available from various sites. Looking at the piece parts it looks like the rubber baffle and other plastic parts are replaced. I'm probably going to go this route.
Posted via Mobile Device

mrein3 04-03-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobs409 (Post 5986465)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 5988588)
Not in the near future. Attempted Reprime with no luck. I got water to flow through the pump by gravity feed, but the pump would not move the water on its own.
Have you ever used one of the pump repair kits? They're available from various sites. Looking at the piece parts it looks like the rubber baffle and other plastic parts are replaced. I'm probably going to go this route.
Posted via Mobile Device

BugzC10 - bummer the re-prime didn't work for you. Before out throw in the towel on it, check the hoses. I had a leak between the pump and the reservoir. My "prime" only lasted overnight. It didn't work the next day. Until I noticed the blue puddle under the truck I thought it was new washer pump time.

FWIW, I primed my pump by taking a turkey baster, filling it with washer fluid, and squirting it "up" the hose away from the pump. Prior to that I thought my washer pump was dead.

BugzC10 04-03-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrein3 (Post 5989066)
BugzC10 - bummer the re-prime didn't work for you. Before out throw in the towel on it, check the hoses. I had a leak between the pump and the reservoir. My "prime" only lasted overnight. It didn't work the next day. Until I noticed the blue puddle under the truck I thought it was new washer pump time.

FWIW, I primed my pump by taking a turkey baster, filling it with washer fluid, and squirting it "up" the hose away from the pump. Prior to that I thought my washer pump was dead.

Thanks for the tip...I'll pressure test my hoses. Their only 43 years old. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

hatred 04-06-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee H (Post 5981047)
Mr. B is right, very easy mod and it works far better than stock. About $6 bucks at your local pick a part.

Got one like this for mine today. Sucker pumps like a beast now...

tinlid 04-07-2013 12:44 PM

Mine has a different problem. It pumps great but will not shut off until I turn the wipers off then I have the last squirt running down the windshield. If I turn the wiper back on it starts pumping again. Bad switch?

JJorgensen52 04-07-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinlid (Post 5996210)
Mine has a different problem. It pumps great but will not shut off until I turn the wipers off then I have the last squirt running down the windshield. If I turn the wiper back on it starts pumping again. Bad switch?

More likely the pump is stuck - there's a little actuator inside there that pulls the linkage into the "pump" position when you push the switch, but it's driven from the wiper motor so if it doesn't return, it will pump anytime the wipers are on

WIDESIDE72 04-07-2013 06:10 PM

I used one of my little girls snot sucker bulbs to prime mine so fe she is old enough to blow her own nose!
Posted via Mobile Device

leddzepp 04-08-2013 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree the stock units are junk after 40 years. I never had any luck priming one. If you want to retain the factory look, simply pull the washer pump from the S-10 straight up, and it pops right out. Splice it into your feed line and mount it on the fender inconspicuously. You keep the factory reservoir and upgrade performance at the same time. Worked perfect on my other truck, and I plan to do the same to my current truck when I get it back.
Posted via Mobile Device

sixtyeightchevykid 05-26-2013 03:57 PM

which wires are you all using to power the new style pump?