The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How To Install and Remove Hubcaps Without Damaging Them (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746476)

cericd 09-12-2017 11:05 AM

How To Install and Remove Hubcaps Without Damaging Them

Does anyone have a method for installing and removing dog dish hubcaps that prevents them from being damaged in the process?

I've seen several sets of NOS hubcaps go for good money and I can't help but wonder if they will ever be installed since they seem to be so prone to denting or splitting during the installation or removal process.

randy500 09-12-2017 02:09 PM

Re: How To Install and Remove Hubcaps Without Damaging Them

There are usually 3 nubs with 2 close together, put cap over those 2 first and tap cap over the single nub. Do it any other way and it takes more force and stretches the cap

54blackhornet 09-12-2017 02:20 PM

Chris, I had my stock wheels powder coated and installed a set of copo caps. When I went to remove them I was afraid of damaging them so I went to my tire store , Les Schwab and bought a hubcap removal tool ! Cheap $13.00 worth every cent....jack

cericd 09-12-2017 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jack, any pictures of the tool you picked up? We don't have Les Schwab's in my area. So, the tool doesn't damage the edge of the caps or the finish on the rims?

Thanks for the for the info Randy. My wheels have 4 nubs. Any Advice on how to put caps on those?

Here's a pic of one of my wheels.

68panelman 09-12-2017 04:14 PM

I've always pulled them off by hand on my 67, I guess after 50 years they're pretty broken in.

cericd 09-12-2017 10:13 PM

Ok, let's assume I'm talking about NOS (undamaged) caps and freshly repainted steel wheels. Any other tips to keep them from being damaged during installation and removal.

Other than not installing them in the first place. :jest:

Boog 09-13-2017 10:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Volkswagens used to have a u shaped wire that you placed over the tire tool and fit in two small holes on the edge of the cap. It made easy work of removing the cap. A rubber mallet used to be the go to tool for installing the caps and full covers without denting them.
A similar wire loop could be used for most any hubcaps by drilling two small holes on the edge of the caps.

54blackhornet 09-13-2017 11:35 AM

I will take a photo of the tool, if you need I can get you one and ship it to you...Jack it works great:gmc2:

Cali72K20 09-13-2017 12:10 PM

I use the harbor freight trim/molding removal tools, they work great:

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piec...set-67021.html

DeadheadNM 09-13-2017 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use one of these US made removal tools (I don't have the exact model number at the moment): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MIWLXO..._t1_B00GWFOSBY

slikside 09-13-2017 12:39 PM

I use a tiny metal pry bar and a thin piece of scrap leather for protection.
Works great! Powder coated wheels and caps.

To install, I pop them on with the side of my fist, hitting them on the edge where they're stronger.

Low tech, low cost options that work.

54blackhornet 09-14-2017 06:50 PM

I bought the same tool !

joeydurango 09-14-2017 07:12 PM

I install the same way as slikside - hammer the caps on with the heel of my closed fist, on the side of the caps, where they are strongest. 4-nub wheels, freshly powdercoated. I do have the '73 caps, though (I painted the bowties blue), and I understand they may be a stronger material.

To remove, I simply took a slim piece of round aluminum stock, bent one end into a crude handle, hammered the other end flat, wide, and rounded on an anvil and then bent that flat piece to 90*. To remove the caps I just insert the flat edge and pull sharply on the handle. No damage to wheel or cap. Free if you have random metal lying around like I do. ;)

PICKMUP 03-28-2020 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cheap Chinese tools: Don't pry! Wide blade & small slide hammer saves the edges. Cut them down for deeeeep wheels.