The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   55.2-59 Paint choice (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=805721)

jeffs56 05-05-2020 11:08 AM

Paint choice

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I’m finally getting my truck close and I need to buy some paint. I’m going to do either a satin/flat/matte black. I want it to last out in the sun and not chalk up like some do. I was also told if I go with a single stage and someone scratches it or theres a run in the paint or something like that it can’t be fixed. So so I was thinking hot rod flatz or Eastwood cuz that’s the only ones I know of. But if they can’t be fixed would a base pay black with flat clear be better. Thank you guys. Hope to get this figured out soon

mr48chev 05-05-2020 11:28 AM

Re: Paint choice

Any paint is repairable if you have a painter with enough skills. Bob Hill showed me spots on his Candy red (real candy paint) that he had retouched that it was impossible to tell that they had been redone and he could do that on about anything.

I remember those flat finish hoods on Road runners turning dull real fast in the 70's when they were the hot lick. Guys have been fighting that part ever since and I don't actually know if you can get around it happening.

I ran my 48 in various shades of primer for so many years that the flat paint has no appeal to me and just looks like a good primer job which it have to believe is the actual intent of Hot rod Flatz from the beginning.

mongocanfly 05-05-2020 12:14 PM

Any flat,satin,semi paint is what you got..meaning you cant do anything to it after spraying..
no sanding,polishing,buffing...
Base and flat clear may be the better option...but I'd still think you cant do anything to it after spraying..
I'd suggest calling spi paints..
https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com

62 Barnfind 05-05-2020 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had Hotrod Flatz on my 62 for a while. They sun tends to make the paint streak after a while. Also you can’t polish it. Just wash and wipe down. I finally decided to paint it back to the original color. Your going to spend the money get a paint that will last. My repainted interior is base with flat clear which I like better. Base clear is a better option. But if you need some paint to do a DIY in the garage Hotrod flatz will work. Pic is Hotrod flatz.

jeffs56 05-05-2020 08:13 PM

I appreciate the help. So the SPI black that they sell is a similar product to hot rod flatz right. So even if I go with SPI I’d be in the same boat correct? Thank you

mongocanfly 05-05-2020 09:43 PM

yes ..any flat paint will be the same results

dsraven 05-05-2020 10:00 PM

make it shiny, live a little, haha

just my opinion. it's your truck so do it like ya want it.

jeffs56 05-05-2020 11:55 PM

I thought about a normal gloss paint job. But my 6 year old son has wanted flat/satin black since he could talk lol. And he also wants ghost flames lol. So I’m thinking flat/satin black with some black more than noticeable ghost flames

captn6 05-06-2020 09:03 PM

Did mine with a 80 percent shine not a full shine just a little less

NorCalGal 05-06-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captn6 (Post 8733781)
Did mine with a 80 percent shine not a full shine just a little less

Any pictures?

lupo 05-11-2020 03:25 PM

You be better off with a single stage urethane. Something with a 4 to1 mix. You can adjust the gloss by the amount of thinner you use . The more thinner you use the glossier it will become. Followed directions that come whatever brand of paint you buy

G&R's57GMC 05-18-2020 12:01 AM

How about John Deer green or yellow. It’s single stage , inexpensive and durable.