The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   67 volt gauge pinout (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=767433)

lutronjim 07-13-2018 11:16 PM

67 volt gauge pinout

2 Attachment(s)
I am trying to rework an old gauge dash and am planning to install a 67 volt meter instead of the amp gauge.

I saw one that used the noninsulated pin (top pin in photo) as ground and the left insulated pin (botton left pin in photo) as switched 12v. Makes one wonder what the botton right pin is for.

Have I got this correct? Thanks

TBONE1964 07-14-2018 12:18 AM

Re: 67 volt gauge pinout

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutronjim (Post 8300719)
I am trying to rework an old gauge dash and am planning to install a 67 volt meter instead of the amp gauge.

I saw one that used the noninsulated pin (top pin in photo) as ground and the left insulated pin (botton left pin in photo) as switched 12v. Makes one wonder what the botton right pin is for.

Yes, the center upper stud is ground and the one on the left (in your photo from the back side)will get you battery voltage. I am not sure what the other stud is for myself but do know it will peg the gauge over to 18 volts if you apply 12 volts to it.

Make sure to eliminate power from your amp gauge through the circuit board. pins #1 and #12 on the connector. Make sure they have no power with key on.

Let me know if you need more help. I make volt gauge conversions kits for $100.00 plus shipping if interested. It will look like a factory volt gauge for a 67-72 truck.

VetteVet 07-14-2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutronjim (Post 8300719)

Yes here take a look.

http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tech...geSwapR1-0.pdf

ray_mcavoy 07-14-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBONE1964 (Post 8300751)
Yes, the center upper stud is ground and the one on the left (in your photo from the back side)will get you battery voltage. I am not sure what the other stud is for myself but do know it will peg the gauge over to 18 volts if you apply 12 volts to it.

Just in case anyone is wondering, that other stud (on the far right in lutronjim's first pic) is basically an intermediate connection point between the external resistor and the gauge's internal coil. If 12V is applied there, it bypasses the current limiting resistor and pegs the gauge.

Also, the stud on the left (the one that is used for the +V connection) does not have any direct internal connection to the gauge. It simply connects to one side of the resistor. So this arrangement puts the resistor in series with the gauge's internal coil.

VetteVet 07-15-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy (Post 8301324)
Just in case anyone is wondering, that other stud (on the far right in lutronjim's first pic) is basically an intermediate connection point between the external resistor and the gauge's internal coil. If 12V is applied there, it bypasses the current limiting resistor and pegs the gauge.

Also, the stud on the left (the one that is used for the +V connection) does not have any direct internal connection to the gauge. It simply connects to one side of the resistor. So this arrangement puts the resistor in series with the gauge's internal coil.

Thanks Ray, Yes the OP did ask that question and I thought it was connected to the internal coil but I couldn't find any confirmation of that so I couldn't answer the question.

lutronjim 07-15-2018 10:43 PM

Another question. I looked about what I have to cut to install gauge. Beside cutting the ears I will have to slice off the bottom to match the original amp gauge I think to let dash light illuminate the gauge.

Can anyone tell me what the need of the 'hood' on top of the original gauges was for?

thanks

TBONE1964 07-16-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutronjim (Post 8301998)
Another question. I looked about what I have to cut to install gauge. Beside cutting the ears I will have to slice off the bottom to match the original amp gauge I think to let dash light illuminate the gauge.

Can anyone tell me what the need of the 'hood' on top of the original gauges was for?

thanks

The "hood"s just there to direct light. If there was no hood then you could see light from the back with no shielding.

I have done what your doing before and it is a pain. My suggestion is the drill out the small rivets on both and transfer your stock amp gauge face to the volt gauge. I use 4-40 stainless screws with nuts to secure. It will set in the same spot as the volt gauge face but fit your cluster like it should. You can also use the stock amp gauge needle. You would need to apply power and ground, then meter that. I use a 10 amp battery charger and a volt meter to see what the voltage actually is and place the needle accordingly.

What you end up with is a volt gauge set up that looks like a stock amp gauge.

lutronjim 07-16-2018 09:56 PM

Thanks

I like the idea of having the printed volts on the face. I will try to tinker and use your suggestion as backup.

TBONE1964 07-16-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutronjim (Post 8302603)
Thanks

I like the idea of having the printed volts on the face. I will try to tinker and use your suggestion as backup.

If you look at it, it will drop down about an 1/8 inch from where the rivet holes are. I cut a lot of the bottom as it is not needed and you cant see down into it that far when it is in the dash, or even when it is out. If I remember, you have to raise the tunnel in the middle for the needle. If it was a hot rod, they would call it "channeling" the gauge face. I also cut everything on the top up until it starts the hood portion.

If you need any, I may have some extra 76-87 volt gauge faces. I throw most of them out now. If I don't have any now, I will soon and you could mess around with some different ways to modify it to fit.

From my experience, you will never get the gauge face to look right in the hole without cutting and moving the face on the gauge.

Hope this helps you.

Take care,
Tom