The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   ¿....such a thing as a Vic Hickey edition Blazer?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=573674)

DeadheadNM 09-30-2016 08:44 AM

Re: ¿....such a thing as a Vic Hickey edition Blazer??

FWIW - is the build decal (SPID) on the inside of the glove box door and if so can you post a photo of it?

68panelman 09-30-2016 09:25 AM

In for this one, the door caps alone makes it very interesting, could be the one...

lks dcvn 09-30-2016 09:45 AM

Yes - more pix please. Following along...

mrtoni 09-30-2016 10:30 AM

I'm friends with two guys who worked for hickey enterprises in "the day." I will send pics to him. He's a wealth of knowledge and has debunked some trucks I found but this might be legit. Matt

mrtoni 09-30-2016 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what he said

hemi43 09-30-2016 01:23 PM

You should be able to do a VIN search through your DMV. I purchased a 67 Dart convertible back in 93 because it was most likely the car featured in an Elvis movie, and even though I'm in Canada, I was able to get a list of previous owners from the DMV in the last state it was registered in. Unfortunately, it only showed previous owners from the continental US, and my car was originally from Hawaii, so I was never able to authenticate it. It's worth a try IMHO.

6971k5crazed 09-30-2016 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info. I have the truck stored at my parents ranch in northern Cal which is a few hours away. I only took a couple of pics to show a friend.
I will be going up later next week and will take additional pics. If this is not a Hickey I would be shocked. This is not just a 'bolt on' Hickey. Here's a pic that was on my phone of front shocks mount factory riveted and roll bar welded to it. i will try to do a dmv search but it has not been registered and sat for about 15-20 years so it is likely out of system. What is an approximate value for this if in fact it is genuine?

This is the only post I've done and not sure if I'm responding proper. What is the quote option?

cleszkie 09-30-2016 07:22 PM

If its not one of Hickey's trucks, it was definitely ordered to be a race prepped truck for someone. Hickey wasn't the only one messing around with Chevy trucks back in the day. Could be another factory effort.

haminator 09-30-2016 11:21 PM

wow, what a great find. Id its a legit something if not a VH. I mean whats the chance of just stumbling upon a set of door panels like that to put on your race truck.

6971k5crazed 10-01-2016 02:16 AM

A friend is trying to talk me into doing a thing on you tube documenting the details of this truck and my restoration efforts. Not too many old ladies out there doing this sort of thing. Could be an interesting project....Spent a bit of time in front of cameras in my late teens but that was 40 years and 60 pounds ago. I get to wear coveralls this time!! Will start a new thread when I get things going. Thanks for the comments and info.

Featherfoot 12-16-2016 11:50 PM

Does anyone know where I can acquire a copy of the 1972 January/February Issue of Off Road Magazine?

1mrtimk 12-18-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haminator (Post 6395378)
A couple pictures from the Off road handbook mentioned earlier.

I had a t-shirt in the early 80s with that same picture on it. It was inscribed "Four wheel Fever"

mgkgmc 12-21-2016 10:37 AM

My personal opinion sure looks like it to me. Its been modified since the magazine pictures were taken though. The tank is in the same spot and the cage is the same but modified.

mrtoni 12-21-2016 11:00 AM

The one on the magazine is already accounted for

mgkgmc 12-21-2016 11:56 AM

Hmm missed that part very strange though very similar to the one in the pictures. Still worth something as a vintage racer. Hopefully there is info on it somewhere out there.

botmfedr1 12-23-2016 05:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys... check out this hood latch.

I got this hood latch off of the same truck, as I mentioned before, Unfortunately I didn't know anything about Hickey parts to want to cut off the spare gas tanks mounted to the inside of the bed!!! ������. It may have had more parts, unbeknownst to me.. I hadn't noticed how different this hood latch was to the other ones on my 68 50th Annv, or 71 Suburban..

Anyhow, this hood latch has an "H" stamped on it, and it doesn't look like any other hood latch I have on any of my other trucks.

Let me know your thoughts... the truck was already missing the hood..so I don't know if the Hickey hoods came with their own latch...

-Mondo
Attachment 1602867

lks dcvn 12-23-2016 09:34 AM

The plot thickens...

Was there a SPID in the glovebox? I know this was asked, but didn't see an update. I could have missed it though.

68panelman 12-23-2016 09:42 AM

Can't see the average Joe wanting to cut and remove the windshield frame either...

botmfedr1 12-23-2016 12:37 PM

I cut the windshield frame, and if I had the room, I would have taken the whole truck.. lol
But he got rid of it right away- went to the crusher... The shame is that the entire tub was straight. Typical rust in typical areas, but otherwise it was in very good shape. I still have the windshield frame...it has all those riveted buttons, the kind installed for a soft top.

68panelman 12-23-2016 12:43 PM

I'm talking of Micheles truck post 24

joea307 01-06-2017 10:50 PM

from what I have seen they had more than one of those 69 blazers,seeing that 69 made my week,i have knowledge or know nothing and can be skeptical of things involving blazers,but that 69 is one of the baja blazers, it looks correct,all the pics I have seen look like this blazer, gotta be the real deal hickey blazer raced in 69!I have two magazines with detailed pictures of that blazer,the pop hot rodding one and a four wheeler from 1969.It just looks right,i have no doubt!

DeadheadNM 01-07-2017 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by botmfedr1 (Post 7803168)
Hey guys... check out this hood latch.

Anyhow, this hood latch has an "H" stamped on it, and it doesn't look like any other hood latch I have on any of my other trucks.

Let me know your thoughts... the truck was already missing the hood..so I don't know if the Hickey hoods came with their own latch...

-Mondo
Attachment 1602867

The "H" is for Hancock (not Hickey) and the stamp is visible to varying degrees on my hood latches (example pic from my 72 Blazer).

72K5CSTDarkOlive 01-08-2017 06:46 PM

I'm still kicking myself for selling my Hickey sidewinder winch.

tommys72 01-08-2017 10:10 PM

That blazer is pretty cool...im in for more updates

cleszkie 01-09-2017 03:00 PM

Nothing special about that hood latch as Deadhead pointed out. I have an Eagle Ventures hood on my Blazer (the one that people mistakenly refer to as a Hickey hood), and it uses the stock hood latch.