The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tbi vortec swap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=766865)

sp690 07-04-2018 10:27 PM

Tbi vortec swap

Ok ive read everything that i could using the search method and still have not found what i need to know , i have an 89 blazer with a tbi and im wanting to swap it with a vortec engine just for the fact that i already have one laying around and the one currently in the truck is bad. I know ill need a vortec carb intake with an adapter plate for the tbi, and changing dis gear, not worried about emmissions. What i need to know has anyone swaped this without adding anything else like a chip or messing with the fuel system, if so how did it run. Thats it thanks again. Sorry for the long story

B. W. 07-05-2018 11:48 AM

Re: Tbi vortec swap

GM makes a TBI vortec intake, they are very proud of it though! I've done a few, everything bolts in. I stopped using the TBI braces for the accessories than extend back & bolt to the intake. I think they make the vortec intake gaskets leak easier/quicker. Just my opinion.

sp690 07-05-2018 03:03 PM

B.w. thanks for your input, did you run the ones that you have swaped without a chip, if so how did they run

B. W. 07-06-2018 12:54 AM

I used Dynamic EFI, EBL Flash (has since become EBL Flash II). You use a laptop to tune, can set up mild to wild.

I think with the stock Vortec cam you might get away with the stock computer but I don't know.

Acorn 07-06-2018 03:32 PM

I've done this swap and here are a few things I can remember off the top of my head.
It will run like crap on the stock tune.
I also use Dynamic ebl flash. Love it. It has a ton of bells and whistles for tuning.
Your tbi fuel pump will not be enough psi. I just use am'96 vortec pump.
I run about 18 psi fuel pressure. (Compared to stock TBI that was like 11 or 12 psi. So you will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or a different spring in stock regulator.
Make sure you have a water pump with a bypass hose.
Everything from your '87 will bolt to the l31 block.
Use GOOD Felpro intake manifold gaskets!
I use AC Delco R44LTS spark plugs.
If I remember anything else I'll post it.

sp690 07-06-2018 05:07 PM

Thanks for the info, i guess i need to find someone to tune it after
the swap is complete

Kudzupatch 07-07-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acorn (Post 8295432)
Your tbi fuel pump will not be enough psi. I just use am'96 vortec pump.
I run about 18 psi fuel pressure. (Compared to stock TBI that was like 11 or 12 psi. So you will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or a different spring in stock regulator.
Make sure you have a water pump with a bypass hose.
Everything from your '87 will bolt to the l31 block.

Planning on the same swap and this is pretty much what I have found after a lot of research but you will probably need a new fuel pump because stock will not generate more than 14 lbs usually.

You can use an aftermarket intake and buy/build an adapter plate.
You will have to fabricate or modify your throttle cable bracket.
You will need a new tune, engines are radically different and it's never going to run right with the existing tune.