The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Parking brake warning light stays on (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=788400)

WyattTX 06-10-2019 02:24 PM

Parking brake warning light stays on

I applied my parking brake the other day, and I took it back off, but the warning light on the dash has been on ever since. Is there a way to shut it off? Is there some sort of button or switch sticking? Thanks.

WyattTX 06-10-2019 03:44 PM

Re: Parking brake warning light stays on

Never mind, I figured it out.

Palf70Step 06-11-2019 02:40 PM

Good, what was it in case mine acts up ever. :rolleyes:

WyattTX 06-11-2019 05:46 PM

The instructions to a pre-wired stereo kit, I ordered for it said to wire a hot wire from the radio to the parking brake cable (I think this is so the dash light chime is retained). For whatever reason, this just made it the parking brake light stay on full time. I cut the wire, and I feel the dash light by itself (or the barely moving vehicle) is enough to tell me when the parking brake is applied.

Palf70Step 06-11-2019 09:20 PM

Kewl. Glad to know thar.

greasemonkey 06-11-2019 10:01 PM

Was it a kit for a radio equipped with DVD player? There is usually a wire that runs from DVD players to the parking brake wire that only allows the DVD player to play when the parking brake is applied so people don't watch movies while driving. You can usually just ground the wire and enable the DVD player without messing with the parking brake circuit (assuming that's what the wire is for).

greasemonkey 06-11-2019 10:02 PM

On Kenwood or JVC units, it's a light green wire. I'm not sure about other brands.

WyattTX 06-11-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greasemonkey (Post 8540961)
Was it a kit for a radio equipped with DVD player? There is usually a wire that runs from DVD players to the parking brake wire that only allows the DVD player to play when the parking brake is applied so people don't watch movies while driving. You can usually just ground the wire and enable the DVD player without messing with the parking brake circuit (assuming that's what the wire is for).

It did have a disk drive in it, so maybe. Most idiot drivers are too busy texting to be distracted by a DVD playing on the infotainment screen. My unit was a Boss, but it looked to wired like a Kenwood.