The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Escalade EXT AWD/C10 Swap??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=553697)

FLIPT72 11-26-2012 07:39 PM

Escalade EXT AWD/C10 Swap???

:dum:I'm new here and forums all together...so be easy! I found you guys while doing some research for a little idea i had....Would it be possible to swap the entire drivetrain including AWD from my wifes 02 EXT into my 72? Typical gearhead...never quit asking why not! Just curious if any has done this or even heard of it being attempted?

68GMCCustom 11-26-2012 07:55 PM

Re: Escalade EXT AWD/C10 Swap???

I'd think so. Just need the 4wd axle setup...and swap 4WD controls for the 0 controls needed for full time AWD...like an '02 would have...the NVG-149.

FLIPT72 11-26-2012 07:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here she is now...327 4 spd man...almost let her go not too long ago...fire has been rekindled from the "almost" sale...couldn't do it! Im now wanting to follow thru with an LS swap

FLIPT72 11-26-2012 08:04 PM

Thanks man...great looking truck! I realize it's a fairly ambitious idea...but it's killing me!

cableguy0 11-26-2012 08:05 PM

It could be done but you better have some fabrication skills. It surely will be nowhere near a bolt in deal. The engine trans and tranfer case are the easy part. The difficult part will be fabbing in the front clip from the Escalade to allow the awd. You would basically have to use the front suspension from the Escalade and make it fit into your truck.

FLIPT72 11-26-2012 08:54 PM

The fab part will be the easiest part for me...Im certified weld/fab and have a fairly strong mechanical background. It's the electronics/tuning/setup I'm the most concerned with...thought about buying another frame to start this on just in case it proves to costly...just really like the idea of AWD cruiser for the back roads! We have plenty here in KY!
Posted via Mobile Device

FLIPT72 11-26-2012 09:01 PM

And not to mention convincing the "Boss" I'm about to chop up her truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

cableguy0 11-26-2012 09:07 PM

Aside from the front end stuff your basically just doing an LS swap which has become pretty damn easy at this point. Theres really only a few wires that you need to power up.You will basically have to get the computer tuned, deal with the wiring harness and the engine mounts/trans crossmember. It would almost be easier to just swap the truck body to the escalade frame though.

FLIPT72 11-26-2012 09:58 PM

I had thought of modding the escalade frame for a body swap but somehow that doesn't seem right? Seems like buying another body would be better for that. Not sure why it feels that way since we are full custom at this point anyway. I would like to give this thing a real "custom factory" look. I realize the expense involved but i'm looking for a new level with the one i got...i almost sold it (stupid)bc i was getting bored with it. I do live near a guy here called "Bluecat" and they say he is one of the best LS guys around....I'm heading over there this week to pic his brain a bit...really wanting something unique!
Posted via Mobile Device

68GMCCustom 11-26-2012 10:13 PM

I would think you could just take a 4x4 '67-'72 chassis (frame+axles/suspension) and do a LSx swap but with the NVG-149 in place of a 4x4 transfer case. The NVG-149 is a "viscous" type AWD...meaning its mechanical and non-electronic. There's a standard 38/62% split...but its capable of putting 100% at either end with 0 at the opposing...its an awesome AWD and great for ice/snow/sand, etc. Its just not 4x4 tough for rock crawling and all.

Doesn't need the Escalade's front axle/suspension

FLIPT72 11-26-2012 10:23 PM

That's great info! My question to that involves stance? I really want to maintain the lowered profile of a pro touring vehicle and get the handling aspect of the AWD setup. Not really concerned with straight line acceleration as I am overall road performance. Man you guys are great! Thanks for the input and keep it coming! It's hard to conversate with a mag/tv! This forum rocks! Wish I had found you all a long time ago. Priceless and inspirational!
Posted via Mobile Device

FLIPT72 11-26-2012 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is the stabilitack required for the setup to work? Found a good cutaway pic...trying to figure out how to get it here from iphone
Posted via Mobile Device

FLIPT72 11-26-2012 11:10 PM

Stabilitrac system is in the cab in the pic...I would prefer to lose it if its not needed

63burb 12-23-2017 02:37 PM

What did ever happen with the project?
Posted via Mobile Device

Boog 12-23-2017 03:40 PM

His last activity here was nov '15. I'm curious too.

NurseBen 12-25-2017 03:47 PM

I did this swap but used a 2011 GMC Savanna AWD that was $900, cut the body off, made some body mounts, shortened the frame a few feet, swapped in the 149 transfer case, and made the wire harness a stand alone. Super fast and fun!

nikwho 12-27-2017 01:11 PM

If you're going to try to make the C10 AWD, I would certainly entertain shortening the wheelbase of the Escalade to match that of the C10 & swapping your C10 onto the newer chassis, with better suspension and all of the provisions for the drive train that you want to use. Would probably be less work that way.

Captainfab 12-27-2017 11:59 PM

Not necessarily

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikwho (Post 8115419)
If you're going to try to make the C10 AWD, I would certainly entertain shortening the wheelbase of the Escalade to match that of the C10 & swapping your C10 onto the newer chassis, with better suspension and all of the provisions for the drive train that you want to use. Would probably be less work that way.

nikwho 12-28-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8115961)
Not necessarily

Just one guys opinion! :uhmk:

Clyde65 12-28-2017 07:33 PM

So is it actually ok to cut and weld the frames of the newer trucks and SUV’s? I always heard they couldn’t be cut...”safely”

nikwho 12-28-2017 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde65 (Post 8116596)
So is it actually ok to cut and weld the frames of the newer trucks and SUV’s? I always heard they couldn’t be cut...”safely”

I've cut and welded a few older frames, a late model suburban & helped a buddy with a newer '03 or '04 Power Stroke Super Duty frame that he was shortening and swapping under an early Bronco. The only thing that I have heard about the newer frames is that they are dipped in wax, for corrosion protection. Grinding or sanding doesn't remove the wax, it melts it and the depeer you sand or grind, the deeper the wax goes. Wax is no bueno for weld quality. I have personally scraped it, scrubbed with degreaser and really hot water, then wiped with mineral spirits prior to welding. Obviously (maybe) disconnect the battery. No other issues with welding on newer steel frames, that I've heard of, other than general safety, welding around fuel lines, and so forth.

There's a pretty good .pdf file that I found that has some good info on cutting/splicing/etc. Here's a bit from that pdf that address metal prep prior to welding:

"All OEM frames are dipped in wax for improved
corrosion protection. Before beginning any welding
operation, locally remove the wax using one of the
following methods:
— Steam
— Hot water at approximately 500 PSI
— Scrape and then use mineral spirits to wipe off
any remaining wax."

Here's a link to that .pdf file:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...F1atPlH9b2tkqX

NuttDeep 02-06-2018 08:49 PM

I know this is a old thread so I will start one for my swap!
Here is the skinny, 72 C10 Short/Fleet swap to 06 Escalade EXT 6.0 AWD Chassis Wish me luck!

67chevy.winecoff 04-03-2018 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLIPT72 (Post 5724403)
:dum:I'm new here and forums all together...so be easy! I found you guys while doing some research for a little idea i had....Would it be possible to swap the entire drivetrain including AWD from my wifes 02 EXT into my 72? Typical gearhead...never quit asking why not! Just curious if any has done this or even heard of it being attempted?

My man I have a 67 c10, and I am in the process of swapping my c10 cab and bed onto a 2004 Escalade the shorter wheel base. And if your serious about having a 6.0 AWD C10. You should prepare for the work. I would not recommend swapping front ends the Cadillac IFS would look so out of place on the c10 and just the advanced frame technology you get when doing a full frame swap. Swapping the cab includes getting each frame bare and side by side and measurements after measurements. Then constructing cab mounts that sit the cab at an appropriate height not out of place raising the bed floor.
I have a long bed tuck so I extended the frame.!11 inches lowered the frame past the rear axle and shock mounts raised the bed floor or cut it out extend drive shaft fuel and break lines I used c10 radiator support after getting all the lines straight steer gas and break pedal mounting Escalade master cylinder I used Escalade gas and break pedal assembly also the. It’s a **** ton of wiring then for the look your going for most likely a lowering kit
Posted via Mobile Device

67chevy.winecoff 04-03-2018 08:49 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

67chevy.winecoff 04-04-2018 11:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLIPT72 (Post 5724403)

Posted via Mobile Device