The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   97 Tahoe dash brake light (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=757041)

61_FL_Apache 02-13-2018 05:23 PM

97 Tahoe dash brake light

Over the last few months, my brake light on the dash comes on when braking. You can feel it in the pedal when it comes on and goes off on the next pump of the brakes.

The brake fluid is fine, no leaks and the brakes work as well as usual.

If its quiet in the truck you can hear a click kinda sound when the light goes off. So it sounds like its right at the pedal inside.

Any ideas?

ChevyTech 02-14-2018 12:32 PM

Re: 97 Tahoe dash brake light

It has memory.
Read the trouble code.

95 S_Trucker 02-14-2018 02:42 PM

Is it the yellow light or the red light?

If it's the yellow light, scan for abs codes.

If it's the red light, you have a hydraulic problem.

61_FL_Apache 02-14-2018 04:20 PM

My scanner will not pull ABS codes, but I can try it..

Its the red brake light on the dash. Same if you had the E brake on.

61_FL_Apache 02-14-2018 05:03 PM

Here is a video I made on the way home.

https://youtu.be/SI7bX6mr_0k

61_FL_Apache 02-25-2018 12:09 PM

Anymore tips on this issue?

speedygonzales 02-25-2018 02:09 PM

Could be several things

My suggestion is to isolate the brake pressure warning switch and go from there.

On the bottom of the EBCM (says Kelsey Hayes on it) facing the master cylinder is a connector. It's below the top row of 3 brake lines and between the 2 lower lines. Disconnect that and do the same things you been doing to get the light to come on.

See if the light won't come on.

Let us know what happens

Mr_Rich 02-25-2018 03:08 PM

Since you hear it inside the cab I'm wondering if it could be physical problem with the switch hanging off the brake pedal pivot itself.

61_FL_Apache 02-25-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedygonzales (Post 8197100)
My suggestion is to isolate the brake pressure warning switch and go from there.

On the bottom of the EBCM (says Kelsey Hayes on it) facing the master cylinder is a connector. It's below the top row of 3 brake lines and between the 2 lower lines. Disconnect that and do the same things you been doing to get the light to come on.

See if the light won't come on.

Let us know what happens

Speedy: I unplugged that connector and took another test ride. I could still feel this issue in the pedal, but the light did not come on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Rich (Post 8197144)
Since you hear it inside the cab I'm wondering if it could be physical problem with the switch hanging off the brake pedal pivot itself.

Mr Rich: I tried to look above the column where the switch probably is. Its hard to reach and see. There is a brace/bracket on either side if the column that makes it hard to get to.

The sound it make sounds like a spring twanging but not very loud and you can feel in in the pedal at the same time.

speedygonzales 02-26-2018 11:27 AM

A spring sound "toing" is the anti-lock brakes activating

The spring sound you hear is the antilock brakes activating. That accounts for why you feel it in the pedal. We could assume the antilock activation is lowering pressure causing the light to come on. However, I don't think normal operation of the antilock system would light the brake light so my thinking here is the antilock is occurring but it doesn't know it's occurring so it then lights the low pressure signal.

At this point you should have someone with a scanner that can read ABS codes check it out. If need be they can ride along to see real time data.

Again I'm thinking there will be no DTC's and you have a Brake Pressure Modulator Valve problem. But stranger things have happened and checking codes is the correct next step.

Good luck.

61_FL_Apache 03-04-2018 10:49 AM

I have not had a chance to get scanned for ABS codes yet, but I did take a video of the noise I hear when I press the peddle when the light goes off.

https://youtu.be/ELdabySrwAE Turn up your speakers. This is more for audio then video.

speedygonzales 05-01-2018 01:15 PM

Been 2 months. Any update?

61_FL_Apache 05-01-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedygonzales (Post 8252047)
Been 2 months. Any update?

Thanks for checking in.. I have not had my truck scanned yet. I have some control arm bushings coming this week. So that's on the front burner.

speedygonzales 06-15-2018 09:06 AM

Ummm

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=763790

61_FL_Apache 06-16-2018 03:08 PM

Nothing yet. I will reply with a solution.

61_FL_Apache 10-24-2018 07:26 PM

I know its been a while, but I figured it out.

The rear brake self-adjusters were frozen. This caused me to have to step on the brake pedal twice to get good brakes.

I ended up replacing the master cylinder thinking that was the issue about a month ago. I knew I had to pump the brakes to get good brakes, but I knew I was not loosing fluid. After replacing the mater and bleeding all 4 corners, the issue remained. As you can imagine, I was kinda pissed. So more time went by and then it dawned on me about the rears not self adjusting. I cracked them open last weekend and found that to be issue. I removed both self adjuster, cleaned them very well and put them back. Got the brakes adjusted and had instant great brake pedal!

I apologize for the delays and getting back to you guys, but there it is. Problem solved and cost me $0.