The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Twilight Zone Neutral (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730633)

dazza 02-17-2017 01:02 PM

Twilight Zone Neutral

Strange issue with my SM465... Driving along in 4th gear and having my hand resting on the shifter, I hit a bump big enough to cause my hand to throw her into neutral, but I notice that it's not the normal neutral for two reasons... one, it is a much bigger than normal neutral as I can move the stick around in what feels to be a greater size area, and two, it's still in 4th gear and moving forward as normal. I then push in the clutch and drop it down into where 4th is supposed to be with no problem.

This has only happened twice in about the past three months so I haven't considered it an issue until my current situation.

When I get home last night, I put it into reverse to park it and had trouble when I tried to remove it back into neutral. It did finally go with a bit of a struggle. So when I go to leave this morning, it's in neutral and I can't put it into any gear... or so I thought. When I release the clutch, I realize that it is actually still in reverse although feels to be in neutral.

That's where I'm at and I don't have time to learn how to drive everywhere in reverse, or if that's even legal!

Any thoughts? Thanks

dazza 02-17-2017 01:47 PM

Re: Twilight Zone Neutral

Update: Attempting to get it out of reverse, the shifter came loose. Removed boot, ring, and shifter. Going to do some searches here as I recall a certain process for engaging it in the correct position.

kehstr 02-17-2017 02:15 PM

kind of sounds like the shift forks are worn out, but I'm not completely sure. That is weird that it won't come out of reverse...

dazza 02-17-2017 02:26 PM

Thanks,

It's been rebuilt and has less than 8000 miles on it. Forks were fine.

I'm going to take a few pics to show the current alignment.

dazza 02-17-2017 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is where it is now:

Attachment 1623450

B. W. 02-17-2017 02:44 PM

Looking down the shifter hole you will see the top of all three shift forks. The reverse shift fork will have a spring loaded button on it (that the little bit of resistance you feel moving he shifter over into reverse) Using a large srewdriver, line the slots up on all three shift forks & put the shifter in. The very end of the shifter (the part that sits in the shift fork slots) is held in by a roll pin, it should have a little play but not a lot. If it does that could be your problem. Some people weld that to remove the slop.

B. W. 02-17-2017 02:49 PM

I just saw your picture, you're in reverse right now. slide the reverse shift fork up in line with the other two then your ready to install the shifter. If you put the shifter in like it is right now you can't shift & it will be stuck in reverse.

Also, make sure the roll pins that retain the shifter cap are in tight & the slots on the shifter that the roll pins fit into are in good condition. On worn out towers I sometimes use a hose clamp to hold in the roll pins. Not a cure but a solution.

dazza 02-17-2017 03:20 PM

Thanks B.W., lined them up, popped in the shifter and all seems well. The lower roll pin is loose but I think it will be fine for the few miles I need to go to get to my shop so I can replace it.

Thanks again to both of you for the input!