The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Comet mixture for cleaning old paint? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=761914)

OldChevy1954 04-16-2018 01:17 PM

Comet mixture for cleaning old paint?

Anybody heard of a 'Comet cleanser mixture' for cleaning and brightening old paint? If yes, what is the mixture, ratio and how do you apply it?
I'm going to try and brighten up my paint and want to try this if it works.

Thanks for the info if anybody has done this.

OldChevy

LockDoc 04-16-2018 02:19 PM

Re: Comet mixture for cleaning old paint?

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldChevy1954 (Post 8239812)
Anybody heard of a 'Comet cleanser mixture' for cleaning and brightening old paint? If yes, what is the mixture, ratio and how do you apply it?
I'm going to try and brighten up my paint and want to try this if it works.

Thanks for the info if anybody has done this.

OldChevy

I thought Comet had Pumice in it. If it does it would scratch the paint. Why not use Turtle Wax White Polishing Compound then put a coat of wax on it? Here is a before and after picture of my '70 hood using that combination, and an overall picture of the whole truck. It takes a little work but it is well worth it.....

LockDoc

OldChevy1954 04-16-2018 03:15 PM

Hey LockDoc, what's that paint color and code for your truck? I like that color for my old bed I'm going to refinish.

Maybe it isn't Comet ... but I believe it was a household powdered cleanser that was used to refresh the paint?

Thanks.

Joesjunk 04-16-2018 03:48 PM

Comet and water will shine up old paint. I have just put comet in a wet sponge and scrubed away

weim55 04-16-2018 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the difference using just a Comet wash with no compound or wax after. This truck sat outside unwashed for 35 years. The comet wash was perfect for the appearance " I " desire.......,

Steve weim55 Colorado

weim55 04-16-2018 04:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Comet ( Ajax in my case ) does a great job of removing the oxidation. I'm sure I could cut and buff it from here and this paint would shine pretty good.

Steve weim55 Colorado

weim55 04-16-2018 05:12 PM

As for a ratio, no rocket science here, pull the scrub brush out of the wash bucket wet,dump the Comet onto the brush straight out of the can, and scrub away. Good idea to test a section in and inconspicuous place to test the effectiveness first.

Steve weim55 Colorado

special-K 04-16-2018 09:05 PM

Comet has fine abrasive which is why it works, same as rubbing and polishing compounds. You need that to cut the paint and that's why you see the paint on you applicator. I use liquid clay bar because it cuts into the paint to a minimum. Very low risk for cutting too deep. I do it by hand

1968aj 04-16-2018 09:16 PM

my old paint had white chalky like spots all over. I wiped some boiled linseed oil on it and the white stuff disappeared and the paint shined up good.i have used polishing compound ; wax; clr ; and everything else I have but the linseed oil gave me the best and easiest results.

LockDoc 04-17-2018 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldChevy1954 (Post 8239929)
Hey LockDoc, what's that paint color and code for your truck? I like that color for my old bed I'm going to refinish.

Maybe it isn't Comet ... but I believe it was a household powdered cleanser that was used to refresh the paint?

Thanks.

Posted by member "SS Tim":

Quote:

Both actually.
514 is the GM paint code for solid red or "Light Red" on your '70 truck.
544 is the paint code for 514 Light Red and 521 White in the Conventional Two-Tone scheme (white roof and red primary).
593 is the paint code for 514 Light Red and 521 White in the Special Two-Tone scheme (white roof, red primary and white rockers).
LockDoc