The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Windshield Stainless (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765868)

Grumpy old man 06-18-2018 07:45 PM

Windshield Stainless

4 Attachment(s)
Stripping down another 67 cab for paint ,Guys are always wanting to polish out the stainless trim and you take the chance of bending / twisting or scratching the trim or sending it out to be polished $$$. Do it before you pull the windshield , It works great with the old gasket holding it in place and with a simple air angle grinder and buffing wheel /green compound from harbor freight . simple and easy low cost and takes less than 45 minutes .:chevy:

68 P.O.S. 06-18-2018 07:48 PM

Re: Windshield Stainless

Very nice! That looks pretty darn good.

too much stuff 06-18-2018 07:55 PM

Great advice!

rjs53 06-18-2018 08:03 PM

Was looking at my truck yesterday and noticed no chrome around the windshield. Now that I know its missing, I'm wondering if its worth getting.

jjzepplin 06-18-2018 08:21 PM

You sir are a genius!

LockDoc 06-19-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjs53 (Post 8283991)
Was looking at my truck yesterday and noticed no chrome around the windshield. Now that I know its missing, I'm wondering if its worth getting.

Are you sure your truck originally had it? Not all trucks do....

LockDoc

Orange67 06-19-2018 07:31 AM

Grumpy that is an awesome tip. Thanks for sharing!

toolboxchev 06-19-2018 02:58 PM

Nice work, well thought out process. As with anything on our rigs Its all about the process.

frankenchevy 06-19-2018 08:32 PM

Love it

custom10nut 06-20-2018 10:15 AM

:metal:

plowro8 07-05-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8283977)
Stripping down another 67 cab for paint ,Guys are always wanting to polish out the stainless trim and you take the chance of bending / twisting or scratching the trim or sending it out to be polished $$$. Do it before you pull the windshield , It works great with the old gasket holding it in place and with a simple air angle grinder and buffing wheel /green compound from harbor freight . simple and easy low cost and takes less than 45 minutes .:chevy:

Do you think this would work on an aluminum grill?

custom10nut 07-05-2018 10:17 PM

I wouldn't try it on Anodized Aluminum (the grille shell and side trim).
There's a great thread on how to repolish the aluminum, and another on protecting it with EVERBRITE clear coat

special-K 07-06-2018 06:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a very sensible well thought out idea that clearly makes perfect sense. What is unclear and confounding to me is how is it you who came up with it? :lol:

I wish you said something sooner! :cuss:

Grumpy old man 07-06-2018 07:57 AM

:lol: Yeah , How about that !

I've polished more stainless than I ever want to remember and holding onto it all the while having it heat up and twist in your hand can be a real pain and cause more work from damage , I just got tired of wrestling with all of it so I thought since it's being held in place and frees up both hands and I planned on removing all the stainless anyway May as well give it a shot and it works better than I could have dreamed . I just touch up the joints before reassembly and it's done . I'm a big chrome / polished stainless guy and this saved me a ton of time . You would be surprised how much easier a windshield drops in if you assemble the gasket /glass and trim ,tape it all in place and let it sit in a warm place for a week before dropping it all into your truck. I've learned some pretty good time saving tips over the years from from some very good restoration guys but this one is mine . :lol:

Also NEVER,NEVER,NEVER use steel wool on your truck ALWAYS use BRONZE wool once you try it you'll never buy steel wool again .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Fi...FVBuwQodkZsB7g

old51sedan 07-06-2018 08:18 AM

Interesting, never knew they made bronze wool before, were never to old to learn. Thanks for the information.

diggerbob 07-06-2018 09:17 AM

If you ever make it to the Memphis area, I wish you would look me up and help me put my windshield in my truck. I have had a "pro" install my windshield 2x and both times resulted in failure due to bunched up gaskets, or trim popping out.

35boulder 07-06-2018 09:33 AM

impressive results and a great tip. thanks for sharing.

Grumpy old man 07-06-2018 09:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I've done a ton of them and I'll have to take pictures on the next one shortly ,It's really not as hard as it seems to be and I install them myself in about 30 minutes . These are way easier than the 50's model cars with wrap around double bow glass that's expensive , The man who brought me this '54 went thru a windshield ,2 back glasses and a set of trim destroyed by local glass shops , Find an old guy to install your glass the new kids haven't been exposed to them enough .:smoke:

Ol Blue K20 07-06-2018 12:17 PM

Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

Grumpy old man 12-06-2020 11:13 AM

This should save some guys some time and $ , Back to the top :chevy:

jumpsoffrock 05-18-2021 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8295203)
The man who brought me this '54 went thru a windshield ,2 back glasses and a set of trim destroyed by local glass shops

That is so disheartening.

Accelo 05-18-2021 01:00 AM

I paid a small fortune to have mine polished.
He did however get the dents out and it's flat as can be.
Although my truck was a custom and never had it from the factory.
I still love the idea. Never to old to learn.
This forum is the greatest online resource.
Rick

Louisvillekytruck 11-02-2022 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8295164)
:lol: Yeah , How about that !

I've polished more stainless than I ever want to remember and holding onto it all the while having it heat up and twist in your hand can be a real pain and cause more work from damage , I just got tired of wrestling with all of it so I thought since it's being held in place and frees up both hands and I planned on removing all the stainless anyway May as well give it a shot and it works better than I could have dreamed . I just touch up the joints before reassembly and it's done . I'm a big chrome / polished stainless guy and this saved me a ton of time . You would be surprised how much easier a windshield drops in if you assemble the gasket /glass and trim ,tape it all in place and let it sit in a warm place for a week before dropping it all into your truck. I've learned some pretty good time saving tips over the years from from some very good restoration guys but this one is mine . :lol:

Also NEVER,NEVER,NEVER use steel wool on your truck ALWAYS use BRONZE wool once you try it you'll never buy steel wool again .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Fi...FVBuwQodkZsB7g

Great information