The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Flowmaster question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851947)

profe56 04-12-2024 02:02 AM

Flowmaster question

Hi folks good evening.
Long time not visiting the forum.
I'd like flowmasters for my C10 69 350 Engine 700 transmission
I don't want them too loudy especially for inside, can you give suggestions please.
thank you.

pjmoreland 04-12-2024 02:16 AM

Re: Flowmaster question

My truck had 40 series mufflers on it, and they were way too loud for me (and my neighbors). I ended up going with 50 series Delta Flow. They're fairly mellow at idle, but they make decent noise when accelerating hard. The aggressiveness of your camshaft will have a big impact on how the exhaust sounds.

Here's a good comparison video of the various types of Flowmaster mufflers.

https://youtu.be/JcqJmwaDfYE?feature=shared

Richard 04-12-2024 04:14 AM

Have a single 3" 70 series big block muffler on my 94. I like it and get compliments on the truck often. Sound is not loud and does not pop./crackle. I hate that. Leaning towards using two of them in a 3" with an x pipe in my 72 build. Just trying to justify the cost. May use some high flow cats to get the sound lower as well.

72SB 04-12-2024 12:26 PM

Look into Flowmasters new FX muffler. Unlike its other mufflers, it is a straight through design like MagnaFlow and Dynomax. Nice sound but quieter than their clasic 40's

HO455 04-12-2024 04:16 PM

Flowmasters noise estimates are generally loud. Their market is the racer crowd. For the most part the larger the number the quieter they are.

X-pipes will help reduce the noise and if you end up with the classic Flowmaster drone you can add a J-pipe to reduce or remove it. Nowadays there is a lot of information on how to make and install them. They were factory on 1968 Pontiac GTOs so they're nothing new.

https://strikeengine.com/helmholtz-r...j-pipe-length/

Good luck.

LS short box 04-12-2024 04:19 PM

My go to mufflers for my hot rod projects are Dynamax turbos. Typically 2.5" inlet/outlet.
For me Flow Masters are too loud.

Joyridin 04-12-2024 05:21 PM

Flowmasters for me are too loud. I went with Spintech mufflers. They have a deep throaty sounds without all the resonance that Flowmasters have.

chevmn 04-12-2024 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 9303620)
My go to mufflers for my hot rod projects are Dynamax turbos. Typically 2.5" inlet/outlet.
For me Flow Masters are too loud.

Is there such a thing as too loud? Kinda like too much money and too much power.

Just kidding of course....I know it all depends, and everyone has their personal preference. I once ran a short bed truck with full exhaust exiting behind the rear wheels with no mufflers. Liked the sound, but it was a daily driver, and longer trips with windows down were too much so I ended up putting on some small turbo mufflers. On my 72 big block truck I have headers, and a pair of the Jegs "flowmaster 44" knockoffs with 2.5 inch pipe turned out just behind the cab. Not sure I like the sound...it is ok when 4 bbl is open, but still it has more of a tin can like sound rather than deep mellow tone. Considering going old school to either small chambered round, or some 12 inch glass packs. I really liked the old round thrush mufflers, but apparently no one reproduces them, and NOS on ebay are out of my price range.

KQQL IT 04-13-2024 12:27 AM

Pair of 70 series behind a rowdy sbc 406 and they do a good job of taming the sound

kwmech 04-13-2024 12:24 PM

Magnaflow mufflers here for my vehicles. flowmasters are too raspy for me. The Magnas seem to have a better tone in my opinion

72SB 04-13-2024 12:43 PM

In general, chambered mufflers are louder and the straight through perforated tube wrapped in fiberglass are more mellow. Magnaflow and Dynomax as a result are typically quieter than chambered Flowmasters.

However Flowmaster now makes a type like the Magnaflow and Dynomax called their FX line. I assume to compete in that muffler market sector. They are a welded SS case. I bought mine for about $40 each on Amazon. They do have a nice exhaust note and will let you know when you go WOT.

Sheepdip 04-13-2024 01:48 PM

Flowmaster Super 40's on my 40 Coupe and Magnaflows on Louie my avatar. Both have H pipes to tone it all down... both sound good.
But in the end it's all about individual preference.

Luke87gt 04-13-2024 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 40 series is the classic 2-chamber Flowmaster that everyone knows.

As pointed out above, it’s a bit much for some (in term of sound and drone).

If you like want the classic Flowmaster chambered sound but you want to tone it down a bit, try something between 50-70 series.

Also, their “FlowFX” is a straight through muffler like a MagnaFlow. They flow well but don’t expect them to sound like what you expect a Flowmaster to sound like.

Good luck

truckster 04-13-2024 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 9304009)
Magnaflow mufflers here for my vehicles. flowmasters are too raspy for me. The Magnas seem to have a better tone in my opinion

Same here. I put Magnaflows on my Blazer. They're loud enough the dogs know when I get home, but not raspy. It's a nice, smooth sound through the RPM range.

BROWN 70 04-13-2024 05:27 PM

agree with post 2. I have delta flows also. just right idling and a bit stronger on the gas. BROWN 70

profe56 04-14-2024 11:15 PM

Thank you all of you for the info.
There are 3 different CROWER CAMSHAFTS.
And I have the less strong.
I’ll see the noise.