The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Prototype center speaker holder (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=688482)

Kyle@FTP 11-13-2015 06:13 PM

Prototype center speaker holder

3 Attachment(s)
We are wrapping up a customer truck right now. The customer wanted a stereo really badly. So much so that he showed up with speakers, amp and sub and said make it work

I couldn't find anything on the market that was even close to what I wanted for the center speakers. I also didn't want to drill holes in the dash. I worked up a 3/4 thick clear plastic part. It houses 2 4" JL auto speakers with tweeters built in. I added nutcerts so speakers can be take in and out rather easily. I was able to use adhesive to secure it to the bottom of the dash. The truck can go to the crusher and it wont come off. the truck as every accessory under the sun and its clears everything really well.

I am by no means a stereo guy but this with the kick panel speakers and a 8" sub sounds really really good. I was kind of impressed.

If anyone is interested I can make a few more. I just need to source the adhesive in a smaller container to keep cost and waist down.

ranger danger 11-14-2015 08:39 PM

Re: Prototype center speaker holder

What did you use for adhesive? I have all the rest of the stuff. Great idea!!!

Kyle@FTP 11-16-2015 12:56 PM

I dont have the exact name but its automotive panel bonding adhesive. As soon as I can source something in a small enough container, I will have these packaged and for sale.

Valarius_Starchaser 11-16-2015 01:18 PM

http://www.zoro.com/3m-adhesive-4747...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

was this the critter you used? I have some clear industrial strength two part that has been holding my fridge door hinge together for months now I will get the number off it later tonight

Kyle@FTP 11-16-2015 06:09 PM

http://www.lord.com/products-and-sol...hesive-(medium)

This is what I used. Way over kill for the application. But it got the job done. Headed to the paint supply store tomorrow to find a smaller cost effective version that doesn't require a special gun.

Ta12sec 11-19-2015 09:17 PM

Subbed

Valarius_Starchaser 11-19-2015 10:09 PM

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...S_010=00470740

Thats the stuff holding my fridge door on super cost effective if you ask me

Kyle@FTP 11-20-2015 02:08 PM

I would like to stay away from the 2 part adhesives if I can. Thats just adds extra steps into the process. But I think I will be headed that way. The first few will be off the water jet soon.

wwillmon 11-22-2015 08:25 PM

Definitely would be interested in one, when you get them for sale.

Kyle@FTP 11-23-2015 04:32 PM

I will have them on the site for presale a week from today and they should ship no later than Dec 8th

Thanks for the interest.

Tdrcreyn4 11-25-2015 11:15 AM

Interested in one as well.

calvin78612 11-25-2015 09:23 PM

Interested as well.

Kyle@FTP 12-01-2015 01:33 PM

I just wanted to do a quick update.

I tend to forget about holidays so we have to set this back a few days. I also decided against pre orders. I want to be ready to ship when orders come in. as usual I am probably over engineering this too. But is will be a quality part made right here in the U.S.A.

I am trying to have the first article done this or next week and the production parts will follow days later. Thanks for all the interest and call. I am working as quickly as I can on it.

Kyle

Tom 12-01-2015 06:28 PM

Super neat idea. I've always wanted mid dash speakers, all the high ends like Porsche use that setup and it sounds amazing.

Kyle@FTP 12-01-2015 07:21 PM

Just off the phone with the plastics people. My sheet of plastic was supposed to be at the water jet tomorrow. Its been pushed back a full week. I guess I should have had some ready to go before posting haha. But with all the interest, this will be coming sooner than later.

Kyle@FTP 12-07-2015 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pretty happy with how these turned out. they will fit any standard 4" speaker and can be purchased with or without speakers. They are up on the website as well. $49.99 gets you the plate and adhesive to install. $99.99 gets you all that plus a set of kenwood speakers and mounting hardware.

Ill also put an official add up in the vendors section tomorrow.

http://www.fredstruckparts.com/Produ...essories-.aspx

Kyle@FTP 12-19-2015 03:42 PM

I decided to use M3 08609 window weld. Its a bit pricey at $19.99 a tube but will allow the customer to have a 2nd or 3rd tries to get it right. and after a few trials it is not coming off. It has a fairly quick set up time, allows 10-15 of working time and I also likes it because is a single part product, no mixing a 2 part apoxy the figuring out how to apply it cleanly.

First run is made and boxed. Instructions went in the boxes this morning and I will start shipping money. Presale went well and I only have 1-2 left from the first run.

Kyle

88Ironduke 12-22-2015 11:22 PM

This looks great. I love the product and the lack of holes in the dash makes this super cool. Will be ordering one for sure after Christmas!

Paul

Kyle@FTP 12-23-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Ironduke (Post 7419987)
This looks great. I love the product and the lack of holes in the dash makes this super cool. Will be ordering one for sure after Christmas!

Paul

Thanks Paul. Im excited about it. I just wrapped up install instructions and have already made a revision to the part to make it a but better. I should have some audio up soon with how it sounds.

I will be shipping the first batch out money. Thanks for all the interest and patience while we get this part ready. I look forward to some feedback.

Tdrcreyn4 12-29-2015 03:19 PM

Kyle, Still haven't seen mine. Can you provide tracking numbers for those you sent out please.

Kyle@FTP 12-30-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdrcreyn4 (Post 7427140)
Kyle, Still haven't seen mine. Can you provide tracking numbers for those you sent out please.

Let me look into it. I know I have had a few delays but you should see yours shortly as you were the first to order. Im anxious to get them in the customers hands so I can get some feedback.

Tdrcreyn4 12-31-2015 09:50 AM

Thanks for checking. It's probably just the holiday backup. Looking forward to getting it and providing feedback.

Steve Cole 01-03-2016 10:56 AM

Kyle, great product!

I am interested in buying one of these but I have a couple of questions.
Does the adhesive dry clear? (I am thinking about adhesive oozing into the opening where it would be visible)
How do you keep it in place while the adhesive dries?
What is the best method to gain access for installation? Do you go through the glove box area or remove the instrument panel?
Is it easier to mount the speakers and connect the wiring before or after the plate is installed?
Thanks!!

Kyle@FTP 01-03-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 7433012)
Kyle, great product!

I am interested in buying one of these but I have a couple of questions.
Does the adhesive dry clear? (I am thinking about adhesive oozing into the opening where it would be visible)

Adhesive is black, If properly installed there should be no extra coming up through the vent slots. If it does happen you have a few minutes to wipe it off with a clean rag.

How do you keep it in place while the adhesive dries?

The adhesive has a 15minute work time and I usually let it sit over night before putting the speakers on. But I run a zip tie around the center of the speaker plat and the center of the grill. Then you can also run zipties through the defrost holes for a little added holding. Its the best method that I have found.

What is the best method to gain access for installation? Do you go through the glove box area or remove the instrument panel?

I have been able to lay under the dash and get direct access to the speaker grill area. You may need to pull the radio. like most projects, the more access the easier the job will be.

Is it easier to mount the speakers and connect the wiring before or after the plate is installed?

I would highly recommend you wait 24 hours for the adhesive to properly cure before installing the speakers.
Thanks!!

Answers are above. If you have any further please let me know. I am currently sold out. But I will have new plates in this week for assembly and should be ready to ship by mid week.

Kyle

88Ironduke 01-03-2016 04:13 PM

Shoot me a PM when you get your next run completed. I need one with out speakers shipped to 08046. My interior is empty so installation should be an easy task. Thanks for supporting the truck community.

Paul