The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Attempting my first build 72 K5 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=628612)

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-12-2014 01:20 PM

Re: Attempting my first build 72 K5

3 Attachment(s)
Leaf Spring question. I put the leaf spring back together and noticed a difference in the way the spring eye bolt lines up. One one of them it is flush and the other has about a half inch separation.

mx289 07-13-2014 04:36 PM

That hardware looks awesome.

Oldtruckfanatic 07-13-2014 07:55 PM

Those spring eyes dont look the same diameter either. The one thats against the end looks larger in diameter. Maybe a replacement from another truck ? Or judging by the taper at the end it didnt get rolled all the way or was yanked by something and unrolled. Im not a 4wd guy I have never taken a 4x4 that far apart. A spring place could maybe fix that.

DeadheadNM 07-13-2014 08:00 PM

Just curious - do you still have the winch/front bumper?

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-13-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldtruckfanatic (Post 6759568)
Those spring eyes dont look the same diameter either. The one thats against the end looks larger in diameter. Maybe a replacement from another truck ? Or judging by the taper at the end it didnt get rolled all the way or was yanked by something and unrolled. Im not a 4wd guy I have never taken a 4x4 that far apart. A spring place could maybe fix that.

I think the PO replaced one of the springs. One of them had some old yellow paint on there and from what I was told by someone locally, was that it came from a "pick and pull"

As far as the diameter of the spring eye bolt, they should be the same bc i replaced the bushings using the same size on both sides and they both fit pretty snug.

It just looks weird to me, so I think I'll just play this one safe and order a new set.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-13-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 6759575)
Just curious - do you still have the winch/front bumper?

I do.

DeadheadNM 07-13-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive (Post 6759780)
I do.

Sending PM

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-14-2014 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the front axle bolted up this weekend. However, I've decided I'm going to get a new set of leaf springs. I just don't like they way these are sitting, plus I've replaced just about everything else, so i might as well get a new set of springs that will last. I'm looking for a stock ride height

Which brands have other guys used?
so far I've found Skyjackers and SDTruckSprings

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sj...t/model/blazer

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=7688

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-24-2014 01:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok guys, I have just a small update here.. But stay tuned, I'm about to get some real progress done this weekend.

I ended up ordering a set of new leaf springs (front and rear) from generalspringkc.com. I might as well.. I've decided to go all out!

I also ordered a rear disc brake conversion kit that I ordered through ScottHotrods.. I probably could've saved a few bucks going through Summit, but after talking with their main tech guy, I was sold on their customer service. Customer service is a huge value to me and they'll be there to help out if I have any problems with the install. The kit includes Wilwood calipers, disc brakes, adapters, parking brake lines/kit.. basically a straight bolt on.

I had my hub powder coated gray and requested they put a clear coat on it because I heard this will help last longer and is more resistant to scratches.

I pressed in the new studs into the hubs and painted the leaf springs.

Installed all new races seals and bearings, too.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-27-2014 04:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Updating with pics .

Removed the rear axle.. SOO much easier than the front. Took off all the brake parts, back plate, removed 3rd member, and axles. What tool or home made tools do guys use to remove the Yoke?

I also removed the rear bumper, brackets, exhaust hanger brackets, rear shocks.

It now sit on all 4 jacks.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-27-2014 04:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more pics

72K5CSTDarkOlive 07-27-2014 04:27 AM

The PO welded a bracket together to the frame to use as a hitch.. However, he cut the hitch part off and left me with a upside down T

sockalaminski 08-10-2014 12:37 PM

Update? Are You losing momentum?

77K10Silverado 08-10-2014 09:03 PM

Updates!!! Sweet Blazer, good thread!

72K5CSTDarkOlive 08-22-2014 12:44 PM

He guys, so i had a few set backs with wrong parts and things like that. I also was on vacation for 18 days and just got back yesterday. (Rome, Sicily, and Croatia)

This weekend I should be able to get the front leafs springs on. I received the correct size bushings from ORD this time. Wasn't there fault that original ones didn't fit.

The axle was powered coated 60% gloss black. I have a local guy reassembling my gears and axles. The rear axle is having all new seals and bearings, as well as a ring and pinion master installation kit. I'll be picking this up today from him.

My goal this weekend is to have the following done:
1. Install front leaf springs and finish assembling the front axle hubs and wheels
2. Run the new stainless steel brake and fuel lines from Inline Tube.
3. Install the new polyurethane gas tank.
4. Install the rear axle, assemble the new drum brakes, parking brakes.
5. Install the new rear leaf springs

I'm pretty confident I can get all this done, since I should have a couple extra hands helping me out.

sockalaminski 08-22-2014 08:22 PM

Well, with an 18 day vacation, you should definitely be rested. Good luck with your list. Glad to see you're still on it.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 08-24-2014 01:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
1 step forward 2 steps backward. That list above just became a pipe dream LOL

So I got the leaf springs issues worked out and installed them this morning. Just as I was thinking everything was going to go smoothly I ran into more problems.

I started to reassembly the hubs and discovered the threads on one of the spindles are in bad shape and will need to either tap them or replace the spindle. So I decided I would install the other side. I started putting everything back together and realized the larger gear would not slide inside the hub. I decided to use an old race seal and a rubber mallet and lightly tap it through, which it did end up going in. I noticed that when I finished pushing it through, the coil spring wouldn't even push it back out. (that's without have the long ring on) I thought that was odd...I decided to assembly the rest of the parts. Once I had the outer locking hub back on it would not move from the lock position to the free position. Now I cant even get the larger gear ring out and seems to be stuck in there. I'm not sure what I could've done wrong since I installed them exactly the way they are supposed to go back in..

I've posted a few pics below. I took a picture of the order of how I installed them using the other hubs parts.. The other picture if the larger gear ring that is not stuck and I can't get out now.

Any help would be awesome.

DeadheadNM 08-24-2014 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the assembly sequence from a set of instructs with a NOS set of hubs I have...

72K5CSTDarkOlive 08-24-2014 11:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for this Pete.

I ended up solving the problems with the hubs and the bad threads on the spindle.

I took the bearings and race seals out of the hubs. I then started to clean all the dirt and grim stuck inside the groves of the hubs because I believe this was causing the larger gear not to slide through smoothly as it should. So I spent about 4 hours cleaning them up pretty good. I cut out a piece of cardboard to place inside the hub and plenty of napkins to catch the dirt. (see pics)

I removed the bad spindle and used a file to file off the ends of the bad threads on the spindle. That did the trick and I was able to get the spindle nuts to thread on smoothly.

So today I finished assembly the hubs and putting on the brake calipers. Doesn't seem like a whole lot, but with the amount of work I had to do just to start putting it back together it was a full days worth.

The first pic below shows how much crap was inside the hubs. I took a very small file and a small flat head screw driver to scrap everything off.. This stuff was stuck on there to say the least.. Took me a good 4-5 hours to really clean them out well. The 2nd pic is just show that I cut a piece of cut board the same diameter size of the hub and included a few paper towels to make sure none of the dirt falls in the grease. I also removed the bearings and seals, too.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 08-24-2014 11:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I must say, I had a big smile on face after seeing the hubs and calipers installed. I was going crazy constantly looking at an axle not bolted to leaf springs and steering at spindles. lol..

The axle was powder coated and all the bearings and seals replaced. Basically a complete rebuild, minus the ring and pinion.

I also got the front skid bar installed. The front end is almost complete. Need to put get the steering arm, stabilizer, pitman arm, brake lines and I should be done with the front axle..

Doing a tear down on a front axle was very challenging, at least for me, I had no idea what I was getting myself involved with. new:

72K5CSTDarkOlive 08-25-2014 12:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Rear axle powder coated.. I really like the look of powder coat. They did 2 coats of the 60% gloss black.. I've heard you shouldn't really powder coat axles because they can chip easily, but I figured i'd give it a try, plus I'm not going to be seriously off-roading this thing either and I can live with a scratch or two.

The backing plates and drums where also powder coated. The local guy I use around here reinstalled the gears, axles, and backing plates for me. He also made sure the housing was clean inside because sometimes these powder coating shops get sand and dirt inside of them. He spent some extra time cleaning them out for me. If you're in the San Jose area, Superior 4 wheel drives is where I take all my stuff to if I cant do it myself. The guy specializes in drivelines, suspension, and most importantly he knows a ton of stuff about K5. He has a couple of his own.

Dirt's72 08-25-2014 05:13 PM

Quality work on this Mike. Can't wait to see this on the road.
Anytime you get a chance on the pics, no rush. Thanks

72K5CSTDarkOlive 08-26-2014 12:52 PM

Derrick - Last night, I sent all the pics of the winch that I had when I was removing it. It didn't occur to me to take more because I had no intention of using it again, but I think you'll be able to figure out how it was mounted.

Also, I have a 36 Gallon gas tank that I wont be using. Any interest in that?

mx289 08-26-2014 10:23 PM

You are doing awesome detail work here.

That front end looks good !

Dirt's72 08-26-2014 11:26 PM

Mike, thank you for all the pics, they should be a great help.
Can't wait to get it. I plan on using a couple factory skid plates for my blazers so I'm sticking with original tanks. Could use one original one not banged up.
Thanks man.