The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   INNER FENDER, PASSENGER SIDE: I want thick metal, good fit, and reasonable price (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=676322)

mattfranklin 07-11-2015 08:41 PM

INNER FENDER, PASSENGER SIDE: I want thick metal, good fit, and reasonable price

So I've searched through quite a few threads. Some say fits great and tell the supplier and link to the site. Others say they bought the "thick" ones but don't list a link. How thick is thick? How thin is thin?

How do I know what I'm getting? Who for sure has ones that are thick and fit well? What is the website link?

Thanks!

leftybass209 07-11-2015 08:47 PM

Re: INNER FENDER, PASSENGER SIDE: I want thick metal, good fit, and reasonable price

Are you looking for something special? Oem works fine for most, and those that want glass usually turn to slosh tubs.

mattfranklin 07-11-2015 11:38 PM

Re: INNER FENDER, PASSENGER SIDE: I want thick metal, good fit, and reasonable price

Just looking for stock oem for this project.

I'm in CA so most of the rust isn't too bad, but passenger side inner fender under under the battery box is pretty much missing. If someone made a patch for that area I'd use it. Of if someone could recommend a salvage yard in the Bay Area that that stuff that old I'd be doing that.

I plan to the the radiator support patch from GMC Paul's. And I was interested in the inner fenders they sell there, listed at $100, which is pretty good. BUT plus $135 for shipping and another $50 to $100 for residential shipping kind of turns me off.

I'm trying to figure out why some suppliers can sell $57 inner fenders with free shipping. Something just isn't adding up for me.

In The Ten Ring 07-11-2015 11:53 PM

I hear Key Parts is good.

sawman 07-12-2015 12:07 AM

I am in far northern ca,i will look if you are interested in inner fender or radiator support I have quite a few parts or no were to get these,saying gos you get what you pay for cheap inner fenders are mostly cheap material,let me no no what all you are looking for,thanks ed

SierraMtns 07-12-2015 12:10 AM

Your only 5 hours from these guys.

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/

Go for a nice long weekend and pick up everything you need.

Grumpy old man 07-13-2015 06:17 AM

try thetruckandcarshop.com in Orange ,CA Their prices are pretty good watch for discounts and free shipping discounts

special-K 07-13-2015 09:29 AM

I haven't used them all, but this is one repro part I have never had an issue with. I know that all Key Parts are made in same as factory gauge. Others are good, too, but don't know for a fact what the gauge is. This is one part I wouldn't hesitate to use in non-GM...although good used is best!

Grumpy old man 07-13-2015 01:31 PM

I would suggest you buy the best deal you can find ,I highly doubt there is more than 1 factory producing aftermarket sheet metal for these trucks ? I'm sure there are hundreds of suppliers but not so sure of how many manufactures would be producing inner fender wells ?:chevy:

special-K 07-14-2015 10:39 AM

There are certain parts made only by one mfgr and others made by two or more. Some mfrs who market their own parts offer parts they don't produce packaged with their name. Some who don't make any of it have their name put on all packages and they'd like you to believe they make them and theirs is better. You just have to ask and hope for an honest answer. There is a smoke and mirrors aspect to the whole aftermarket parts business. I guess so if a part gets known to be crap the dealers and suppliers don't want to be stuck with it all. I only buy from dealers who can tell me who made the part and do my homework before hand to know any differences or drawbacks/advantages... like Matt is doing now. You can certainly get a well rounded review out of this site.

I have heard of ones not fitting well, but don't know which ones those were. Most guys sell Tri-Plus and I know those are good pieces

turp mcspray 07-14-2015 10:59 AM

On the inner fenders, insist on a "Tri-Plus" part, and you will be very happy with it!

mattfranklin 07-16-2015 03:23 PM

Thanks for all of the great replies, guys.

I understand the whole smoke and mirrors thing. They are trying to sell you on the brand of their store rather than the brand of the manufacturer. (And, of course, the manufacturer probably matters most in this case.) Because once we-all know the manufacturer it becomes a bidding war down to zero profit among the stores.

I'm leaning toward maybe a road-trip to Brothers with the minivan.

Thanks again!

boraxman 07-16-2015 03:53 PM

If you do the Brothers thing call and make sure they have your items in stock, even pay for and will call your items.

I have driven there only to find some items out of stock/:waah:

special-K 07-18-2015 08:55 AM

Good idea picking them up. These are bulky, so shipping cost is a consideration. You're lucky to have Brothers that close