The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   New method for organizing my open/box wrenches (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=778044)

wcstory 12-22-2018 11:23 PM

New method for organizing my open/box wrenches

3 Attachment(s)
I've been looking for a better way to organize my wrenches in my new larger tool box. Laying them out side by side looks great, but takes up a lot of space. 3/8 to 1 5/16 takes up the whole width of my box. Notched organizers are better, but run out of space too fast. A nice one I found held them on their sides, but they are a standard and metric. That didn't work for me. I liked the idea and looked for another way to do the same.

Craftsman and several other manufacturers make screwdriver organizers. Most like the Craftsman ones are so, so at best. I thought their main problem of the slots being too close together would make it a good wrench organizer. I ordered on to try my idea out.

The screwdriver organizer came in today. It worked GREAT! I ordered a couple more using some Shop Your Way points I had to use up.

wcstory 12-22-2018 11:28 PM

Re: New method for organizing my open/box wrenches

I plan to place a label on the drawer edge to make for quick reference.

I figure I'll be able to put my ratcheting wrenches to the right and another block at the top to hold the flare nut wrenches and specialty wrenches.

Ill have to trim the right hand edge of the first block and some of the second block to fit them side by side properly. (photos to come when the additional holders come in)

mongocanfly 12-22-2018 11:54 PM

Looks great!

raggedjim 12-23-2018 11:16 AM

I agree, and now there's room for more!

Thanks, Rg

Keith Seymore 12-23-2018 12:39 PM

Are the screw driver racks magnetic?

My problem is that I travel with my big box and they bounce out of the organizer while I'm on the road.

K

wcstory 12-23-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 8411784)
Are the screw driver racks magnetic?

Yes they are magnetic. Hard to tell if the magnets are strong enough for use in a service truck. With the suspension in my work truck EVERYTHING gets a rubber elastic strap or velcro.

They are definitely not strong enough to hang vertically

04ls1gto 12-30-2018 08:04 PM

Where do I get some!

wcstory 12-31-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04ls1gto (Post 8416506)
Where do I get some!

Sears under $20
Magnetic Screwdriver Holder

wcstory 12-31-2018 06:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I went ahead and orders the other screwdriver holders to finish the SAE and Metric wrench drawers

To fit two organizers side by side in my 22" drawer I had to trim the two organizers slightly. See Picture 3&4

truckster 12-31-2018 08:58 PM

That looks like it might be the solution I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing!