The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New CPP lower control arms (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=764179)

lil hoodlum 05-20-2018 05:48 PM

New CPP lower control arms

5 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone.

I am freshening up my front end steering & suspension as it is having a few small isssues I think due to being worn out.

I've purchased some new lower control arms from CPP through summit racing. Only paid $278 for the pair. These are nice, powdered coated black and have the control arm bushing installed. I installed some new Moog ball joints.

lil hoodlum 05-20-2018 05:51 PM

Re: New CPP lower control arms

4 Attachment(s)
Installed new Moog ball joints.

lil hoodlum 05-20-2018 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So my first question is, what is the trick to fully seating the ball joint dust boot?

lil hoodlum 05-20-2018 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also purchased the lower control arm U-bolt kit from Summit racing as well. $10.99 for a pair.

Dorman part #13503. GM C/K trucks 1986-73.

lil hoodlum 05-20-2018 06:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
2nd question is the locating holes in the control arm shafts are not in the correct position. The caps seem like they are full seated but the control arm is not rotating on the shaft as it should. I have not installed the grease fittings and greased it up yet. Should I go ahead at this time and do that or do I need to loosen up the caps and orient the shafts to the correct postion and then re-assemble?

lil hoodlum 05-20-2018 06:08 PM

and last question for now...

How does everyone else install the lower control arm bumpers on?

I've never had much luck getting those on correctly or easily. I've greased them up, trimmed the rubber some, etc...

The last pair of rubber bumpers I've used came from LMC and they don't seem to last very long...

My suspension is at stock height too....

Trashy 05-20-2018 07:18 PM

I used the press and the long one piece press cup in my kit on the boot, it fit on the shoulder perfectly.
As for the bumper I smacked mine a few times with a dead blow hammer, may not be the easiest way but it worked. This was with the LCA bolted in and a block of wood underneath.

weq92f 05-20-2018 08:46 PM

Just keep working the boot, it will go on there. Take a mallet and some type of blunt tool to help it if necessary.

I don't recall having any difficulty with the LCA shaft divots and getting them aligned. Maybe you just need to loosen the caps and get the divots somewhere close to where they need to be, then you can install the LCA without issue?

Take your time and it will all work out.

Hth,

-klb

flykelley 05-21-2018 06:35 AM

Try using dish soap straight for the. bumper lubes. Thats what we used in the GM factory for all the years I worked there.

Mike

demian5 05-21-2018 11:06 AM

Those LSA shaft bolts are on at like 100 ft lbs. Hard to do anything with them, without the arms being bolted to the truck. If you want them to look pristine then wrap the shaft in a cloth or tape and try a pair of channel locks to rotate it into shape. You could put the grease fittings on and lube them and see if that helps as well.