The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rollback! Oh my! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=677397)

Andy4639 07-23-2015 05:05 PM

Rollback! Oh my!

3 Attachment(s)
I stopped and talked to him about a year ago. He said he would sell it for $3800.00 which I thought to be to much at the time.

I stopped by again with a friend and we looked at it and he said to let him think about it. He wasn't sure if he wanted to sell it now! He cranked it right up with a couple of pumps of the gas pedal.

Has a 350 in it now with HEI and dual exhaust. Truck looks pretty solid but has the typical rust in the doors and corners.
:chevy:

leftybass209 07-23-2015 06:44 PM

Re: Rollback! Oh my!

That's a great find!

Every day it sits, the rust spreads and makes it just that much more expensive and involved to replace.

That'd make a nice restored rollback, perhaps to haul around a red long bed maybe?? ;) :metal:

Andy4639 07-23-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftybass209 (Post 7251671)
That's a great find!

Every day it sits, the rust spreads and makes it just that much more expensive and involved to replace.

That'd make a nice restored rollback, perhaps to haul around a red long bed maybe?? ;) :metal:

That's the plan!:chevy:

special-K 07-23-2015 09:16 PM

Golf carts!

Andy4639 07-23-2015 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7251793)
Golf carts!

Most likely both! Ha!:chevy:

ekgguy 07-24-2015 12:55 AM

Take the bed cover off the longbed, put the golf cart in the longbed, put the longbed on the rollback...

Jurassic-1 07-24-2015 01:09 AM

That would make a nice hauler. I think you should buy it.

BC10 07-24-2015 03:22 AM

That looks pretty sweet. I'd buy it for that price!

cherokeejohn 07-24-2015 09:06 AM

Do you know what kind/brand of bed it is on it? It looks like a decent buy to me, judging from the pics. I drove tow trucks for almost 6 years and by far roll-back's are my favorite. The versatility and uses are endless, and they tend to be good at making at least some of your investment $$$ back too. If it ends up in your driveway, I hope there will be a build thread. Great find!

Andy4639 07-24-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeejohn (Post 7252144)
Do you know what kind/brand of bed it is on it? It looks like a decent buy to me, judging from the pics. I drove tow trucks for almost 6 years and by far roll-back's are my favorite. The versatility and uses are endless, and they tend to be good at making at least some of your investment $$$ back too. If it ends up in your driveway, I hope there will be a build thread. Great find!

Haven't had much luck with him knowing a lot about it are either he has forgotten it. The guy is in his late 70's are early 80's. He said he bought it new, just like it is, I don't know if they ever sold them new like this but everything looks like it would have come on it. I didn't see any tag on the bed though. The ramps are on roller's under the bed and it has a tool box made into the bed on drivers side. Not very big but can put hand tools and breaker bar inside it.
Interior is about like I expected, seat has a big rip right in the drivers side. Has the 4 speed with heat only. Non tach dash but has the gauges.

MARKDTN 07-24-2015 10:43 AM

So does the bed move hydraulically and "roll back" or is it a fixed flatbed that you winch/drive a car up ramps? Or a dump flatbed?

cherokeejohn 07-24-2015 10:51 AM

The majority of tow trucks on the eastern side of the country came from Raliegh NC. I don't remember the name of the company but I've made several trips myself down to pick up a new tow rig. They buy the cab and chassis, the utility body/beds, booms, and winch's from the factories and install, set up, and sell them right there. You can take a tour of the whole plant. They mostly use Dynamic and Jerr-Dan set ups now-a-days, but 30+ years ago there was quite a bunch more manufacturers (Holmes was a very popular brand name thru-out the 70s). There should be a small tag somewhere on the bed that will tell the info on Who, where, what it is along with the weight and hauling capacities. the tags are typically near the control area. Anyhow, if you can get some more pics of the bed a little closer I can show it to my step-brother who owns the tow/repo' business I worked for and he will probably know right away what kind it is. He's been in the business for 37 years now. It's definitely a great find! It would be a good candidate for a 8.1 liter LS swap ;), Maybe painted to match your 71.

Andy4639 07-24-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokeejohn (Post 7252234)
The majority of tow trucks on the eastern side of the country came from Raliegh NC. I don't remember the name of the company but I've made several trips myself down to pick up a new tow rig. They buy the cab and chassis, the utility body/beds, booms, and winch's from the factories and install, set up, and sell them right there. You can take a tour of the whole plant. They mostly use Dynamic and Jerr-Dan set ups now-a-days, but 30+ years ago there was quite a bunch more manufacturers (Holmes was a very popular brand name thru-out the 70s). There should be a small tag somewhere on the bed that will tell the info on Who, where, what it is along with the weight and hauling capacities. the tags are typically near the control area. Anyhow, if you can get some more pics of the bed a little closer I can show it to my step-brother who owns the tow/repo' business I worked for and he will probably know right away what kind it is. He's been in the business for 37 years now. It's definitely a great find! It would be a good candidate for a 8.1 liter LS swap ;), Maybe painted to match your 71.

I will try and get some more pictures of it as soon as I can. Working all weekend long so it maybe Monday before I get back by there.
The bed is fixed doesn't move. There is no winch but I can add that later. I was going to leave it pretty much as is and just clean it up good make it road worth and use it for local car shows with the 71 on it. the owner says the brakes need work. manual brakes now but I will install a booster if I do buy it.

Redline novdog 07-24-2015 07:45 PM

That's way cool. I can't imagine hauling a car with the manual brakes. Maybe that is why they to go inspection. Back in the day. Sweet lookin' hauler!!!

special-K 07-25-2015 07:49 AM

Since the bed is stationary, this isn't a rollback. It's a ramp truck, or more like car hauler, since there is no dovetail and bed is level. Hodges is the big builder of this type of body in KY. Many of these beds are home made. I see this truck has the later disc brake wheels with the 9/16" stud holes. I wonder what was done there. The original studs are 7/16" and the lug nuts were flat-backed castle-type. The later wheels used a spreader ring with bevels for the chamfered lugs. I ran into this on a '70 C/30 I had that I put chrome Budds on. First I just used chrome acorn nuts, then I did a full brake job and had a machine shop bore new holes for 9/16" studs.

Andy4639 08-30-2016 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Old post but thought I would update. We bought the truck for $3500.00! I have it at my buddies shop to get the front brakes working and carb rebuilt. Once I get it back I will start on the cosmetic stuff.
I have to come up with a name for the door's also. Going to leave it just like it is for now and just get running good and water tight again. Needs all gaskets swapped out.

Any thoughts.
A couple of mine.
Fisher Classic's
Fisher's Garage
Classic Towing

Boog 08-31-2016 06:05 AM

Andy's hauling
not for hire

special-K 08-31-2016 08:55 AM

In the same script as on your door emblem Custom Carts, but maybe letters starting bigger to smaller ramped up to the right on an arc. Done so letters look chrome or just silver and shadowed. You could write "Fisher's" (or "Andy's") at top left in smaller script in other color, like orange or bright blue.

You could put at the bottom, Upstate ~ Beach, SC

Andy4639 09-22-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7699799)
In the same script as on your door emblem Custom Carts, but maybe letters starting bigger to smaller ramped up to the right on an arc. Done so letters look chrome or just silver and shadowed. You could write "Fisher's" (or "Andy's") at top left in smaller script in other color, like orange or bright blue.

You could put at the bottom, Upstate ~ Beach, SC

I like the way you think. Tim!

If I ever get the darn thing back I have new exhaust to install. New 40's Flow masters already with down pipes. Took them off the 64 Impala and saved them for this reason.

100%Chevy 09-23-2016 12:10 AM

If you up-grade the brakes,i'd go with hydroboost.
I have them on my 82 hauler.
Best stopping truck I've owned!
Mike.:chevy:

YBNORML 09-23-2016 12:58 AM

Nice purchase!

I vote for something along the lines of Pop's Hauling. With the rate your pops is buying vehicles, it won't be long before you can put her to use. Or, what were the names of the divisions that he was part of back in the day? Maybe something along those lines, pay some respect to his history. That would be pretty cool.

Andy4639 09-23-2016 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100%Chevy (Post 7721609)
If you up-grade the brakes,i'd go with hydroboost.
I have them on my 82 hauler.
Best stopping truck I've owned!
Mike.:chevy:

I have been thinking that's the way to go on this truck. Just have to get time to go yard hunting for everything.:chevy:

Ironangel 09-23-2016 04:10 AM

"Fishers Repo & Recovery" Nice score Andy!

Warrens69GMC 09-23-2016 08:27 AM

Nice score!!

JimmyFloyd 09-23-2016 08:56 AM

awesome truck. Glad you were able to make it happen.