The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Redoing the Suburban headliner(how?) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=219076)

zeusflash 12-10-2006 04:55 PM

Redoing the Suburban headliner(how?)

The restoration of my wifes 72 Suburban is nearly complete. One of the major hurdles left is the headliner. We have tried to maintain as much originality as possible(never mind the 402 and 700R4!). We would like to reproduce the original headliner as closely as possible. We have all the bows and need only one of the plastic retainers that hold the headliner sections up(broke in 2 places during removal). Has anyone done this? Any advice or suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

72armyswbtruck 12-14-2006 01:47 AM

Re: Redoing the Suburban headliner(how?)

Bump for you

zeusflash 12-14-2006 11:49 PM

Thanks 72armyswbtruck!
Anyone out there? I know someone out the has tried this!

jfalesi 12-17-2006 09:55 PM

Zeus,

Maybe this will help:

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/C...Headliners.htm

I haven't tried it yet because I have a rear air unit I might install first. Let me know if it helps!

-Jamie

72GMCburban 12-19-2006 12:00 AM

I am attempting to use 1/8th board from home depot cut to size and covered in leather. Is this a foolish attempt? Seemed straight forward?

Hart_Rod 12-19-2006 11:08 AM

I think RodDoors makes one too, but it's probably $$$$$$.....

here's a link:

http://www.roddoors.com/pages/chevtrk-6787.html

zeusflash 12-19-2006 10:22 PM

Hey 72GMCburban,
I am going with a similar plan,but I am thinking of using the thin plastic wall board that is available at the box stores. I think that this wall board could be heated and softened to bend more easily at the sides of the headliner. This method should also help with the slight compound curve at the front corners of the front headliner section. I plan on fitting the panels(with the heat method so they retain some of the curves),removing the fitted panels,gluing on headlining fabric,then reinstalling the panels in hopes of avoiding the tendancy for the material to bunch up and wrinkle in the curves at the sides of the headliner. Hopefully this plan works. I will try do document the process so that if it works I can pass it on. If anyone has any better ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them. This project scares me as I am a mechanic not an interior guy. Wish me luck!

72GMCburban 12-20-2006 08:56 AM

Let me know how that goes. I only spent $12 on supplies so far so I can afford to try a new/better approach. :)

zeusflash 12-24-2006 05:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I worked on the headliner project this weekend. Took about 10 hours and went very well. Here are some pics of the results. I will try to post more details of the process soon. Last pic is of the small #4 screws that had to be installed to make the fiberglass wallboard conform to the bows on the edges. Merry Christmas!

72GMCburban 12-24-2006 10:53 PM

Cool, I will await more info. I like the 2 interior light idea. I may do that. I spent the last 2 days doing some upkeep. The most enjoyable would be the 2003 seats :). I'll get some pics uploaded after the holiday.

JimKshortstep4x4 12-27-2006 08:02 PM

zeusflash,

Looking good!

Jim

zeusflash 12-27-2006 10:22 PM

Thanks,Jim. I only have two of the bow trim strips and they got installed today. Still looking for another one. The wifes new headliner is nearly complete which means our Suburban restoration is another step closer to finished. I will post some more pics of the headliner and the restoration project soon.

zeusflash 12-31-2006 01:23 AM

Progress has slowed while I await the arrival of my glass man,so I will try to post a more detailed description of my headliner build next week.
Happy New Year!

Hart_Rod 12-31-2006 08:39 AM

Where are you getting your glass? Do you happen to have an extra liftgate? :)

zeusflash 12-31-2006 12:16 PM

I am reusing all of my old glass except for the windshield which is readily available from any glass shop. I am having my glass guy install my glass because I am a chicken! I have done installation before and know how easy it is to break plus if he breaks it he replaces it. He would make new since all of the stationary glass is flat(except the windshield of course). If you find a good glass man he should be able to cut all of your flat glass(door glass is also flat). Sorry but I do not have a liftgate.

Hart_Rod 12-31-2006 01:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I have a glass guy that can cut all of it, I just thought there might be a glass kit someone sells. Where did you get all your window seals?

Rob

zeusflash 12-31-2006 07:07 PM

I bought pretty much all of my rubber and weatherstriping from the Truck Shop in Orange,California. I have done quite a bit of business with them and their prices are very competitive,also seems like very few backorders. I don't know of anyone offering a glass kit for our Suburbans.

PanelDeland 12-31-2006 11:47 PM

Hart,some of the BB vendors are closer to you and may have better pricing on the seals.Check with Brothers (FL)and Tim Christian(Tn).

Pickles 01-03-2007 10:59 AM

Zeusflash, that really looks good, thanks for posting pic

Hart_Rod 02-19-2017 10:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for posting pictures, I finally started working on mine! :metal:

Hart_Rod 04-05-2017 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE: I have all my panels cut and installed. The fit is good and the satin white is similar to the factory original. I have been trying to find some nice plastic headliner bows, but that is starting to seem like an impossible task. So I got in contact with a company about manufacturing some new ones. I sent them a couple of pieces to use as samples. I think this will probably happen. They won't be chrome like the originals, but they will be paintable. In the meantime, I took the 3 nicest bows that I have and color matched them to the headliner material. This will have to do for right now.

sirbourbon 03-12-2018 01:19 PM

Hartrod,

What is the material you used for the headliner sections? Where did you buy it? It looks awesome!!

Hart_Rod 03-12-2018 03:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirbourbon (Post 8209922)
Hartrod,

What is the material you used for the headliner sections? Where did you buy it? It looks awesome!!

Thanks, It's called PRP and I got it at LOWES.

mrtoni 03-12-2018 03:57 PM

Anyone know about these?
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/67-72...2SV/PARCHMENT/

HO455 03-12-2018 05:10 PM

I believe they are the same one as talked about in this thread. The term " reproduction " is misleading as they are an original style of headliner but just not for our Burbans.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=583265