The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The insurance adjuster (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=772284)

'65 chevy lover 09-29-2018 07:19 PM

The insurance adjuster

When I told the insurance adjuster that I wanted all OEM parts on my truck, he asked me to try to give him a price for the parts. Should I try to do this or should I tell him that's his job? I know new OEM parts for our trucks are rare and very hard to find. Should I forget about that and just rely on places like LMC? Thanks for any help.

jdl71 09-29-2018 07:35 PM

Re: The insurance adjuster

I'd certainly try, but you're going to have to be realistic about it also. I assume you had an accident, whose paying? Yours or theirs?

AcampoDave 09-29-2018 07:37 PM

You could tell him it's his job, but he'll not likely do it as well as you would.

'65 chevy lover 09-29-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdl71 (Post 8353894)
I'd certainly try, but you're going to have to be realistic about it also. I assume you had an accident, whose paying? Yours or theirs?

Yes, had an accident. A single vehicle. Read about it in thread: Wrecked the truck

'65 chevy lover 09-29-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8353895)
You could tell him it's his job, but he'll not likely do it as well as you would.

Agreed. But of course their only going to pay so much. From what most people have told me, insurance will most likely total it.

oem4me 09-29-2018 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover (Post 8353950)
Agreed. But of course their only going to pay so much. From what most people have told me, insurance will most likely total it.

The above is true. A super original survivor with low miles might warrant the extra expense and trouble to locate OE parts, as the vehicle value would support the claim. A truck already equipped with lots of aftermarket stuff isn't going to impress the adjuster, if he knows what he's looking at.
I obviously do not know your truck well, so I think it kinda depends on how original your truck was and whether you want it totaled, or put back on the road with LMC parts.

Captainfab 09-30-2018 12:17 AM

Personally I would accept reworked used factory parts over new aftermarket parts, if they can be found.

'65 chevy lover 09-30-2018 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 8353987)
The above is true. A super original survivor with low miles might warrant the extra expense and trouble to locate OE parts, as the vehicle value would support the claim. A truck already equipped with lots of aftermarket stuff isn't going to impress the adjuster, if he knows what he's looking at.
I obviously do not know your truck well, so I think it kinda depends on how original your truck was and whether you want it totaled, or put back on the road with LMC parts.

My truck was original except for some of the floor that was replaced and outer rockers. I guess my question is answered. I would rather it be done with original parts. But I want it back on the road to.

'65 chevy lover 09-30-2018 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8354113)
Personally I would accept reworked used factory parts over new aftermarket parts, if they can be found.

I have to agree with you.

Killer Bee 09-30-2018 06:27 AM

without knowing what type of policy you have, might suggest taking it to a classic vehicle restoration shop and obtaining a quote from them.. you and your adjuster can start there and negotiate what parts will be nos, repaired, aftermarket, etc.. if they salvage it, you should be able to buy it back and fix however you choose..

good luck!

chevy_mike 09-30-2018 09:55 AM

Looking at your other post, yes it was an original truck but it was not a show quality truck. Unless you want them to total it, I would use LMC pricing and hope they don't. OEM parts are going to be very hard to find and $$$$ if in perfect, new shape or will be $$$$ if the body shop has to strip, fix, fit and paint.

Insurance typically will only pay out to about 60% of a vehicle value before they total it, as it becomes more cost to fix then to total. I hope you had an agreed value policy and not just a standard type policy. A standard policy, I think you are going to be very disappointed in the outcome.

Good luck.

Clyde65 09-30-2018 10:35 AM

I have to agree here^ with Mike. Way back I had a guy back into my truck and damage the stepside bed, I found a suitable replacement for $400, the insurance guy wanted to total the truck because the paint and all that needed done.
When I mentioned I had an agreed policy, things turned different, I had it appraised and they cut a check with that in mind. $ before accident and $ after and the cost of parts.

Good luck, I would get an appraisal on my own.

LVPhotos 09-30-2018 11:00 AM

My Grandpas 2 tone 92 dually was salvage title after they egged it. Just the paint alone.. still repainted a solid color. My 96 Sebring coup Totaled because Viper Black and silver had to spray whole car to match. Durango same thing. Chestnut Pearl as soon as the paint code came up. They wanted to total but I kept it and made a pre runner.
So unless you got a "Value" policy your kinda screwed

'65 chevy lover 09-30-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_mike (Post 8354234)
Looking at your other post, yes it was an original truck but it was not a show quality truck. Unless you want them to total it, I would use LMC pricing and hope they don't. OEM parts are going to be very hard to find and $$$$ if in perfect, new shape or will be $$$$ if the body shop has to strip, fix, fit and paint.

Insurance typically will only pay out to about 60% of a vehicle value before they total it, as it becomes more cost to fix then to total. I hope you had an agreed value policy and not just a standard type policy. A standard policy, I think you are going to be very disappointed in the outcome.

Good luck.

Yes, it was far from a show quality truck. I think I'll just go with the cost of parts from LMC. It would be a long and difficult search to try and find OEM parts that wouldn't require work and be cheap enough in the long run.

Clyde65 09-30-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover (Post 8354451)
Yes, it was far from a show quality truck. I think I'll just go with the cost of parts from LMC. It would be a long and difficult search to try and find OEM parts that wouldn't require work and be cheap enough in the long run.

I have inner fenders and core support that are rust free, these came off Clyde when I repainted. They are at my painters right now...let me know.

'65 chevy lover 09-30-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde65 (Post 8354476)
I have inner fenders and core support that are rust free, these came off Clyde when I repainted. They are at my painters right now...let me know.

Yes, PM sent

Clyde65 09-30-2018 11:14 PM

Replied!

'65 chevy lover 10-03-2018 11:57 PM

Talked to the insurance adjuster tonight. He wanted to give me $2500 ($3000-$500 deductable) to cover the repairs. He did not total it which is good, but I told him I didn't think that was enough. I listed the hood but he rejected paying for a new one. I'm going to talk to him in the morning to discuss it. Judging from the pictures and the list of parts that I listed, what do y'all think about this. Is that enough? I'm sure if it goes too much higher he'll want to total it. $2500 just doesn't sound like enough to do all the work including paint.

Killer Bee 10-04-2018 02:33 AM

like I mentioned, get a professional estimate and discuss it with your adjuster..

if he's willing to work with you, should bed able to agree on a figure just south of salvage threshold..

your personal guestimates may not sway his opinion as much as a professional's..

good luck!

Clyde65 10-04-2018 07:08 AM

Send him an NADA listing for our trucks! Then go to an independent appraiser and get their figure for the truck pre accident.

Also show the adjuster vehicles for sale near or at the same condition as yours.

$2500 wont cover the cost of paint for the front clip in these days!

Good luck!

'65 chevy lover 10-04-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8356860)
like I mentioned, get a professional estimate and discuss it with your adjuster..

if he's willing to work with you, should bed able to agree on a figure just south of salvage threshold..

your personal guestimates may not sway his opinion as much as a professional's..

good luck!

Agree about an outside estimate. But I don't have a trailer or truck to pull it with and, I don't have the money to rent them.

Clyde65 10-04-2018 12:49 PM

Sometimes they will come to you.

No affiliation!

http://www.diminishedvalueoftexas.com

'65 chevy lover 10-04-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde65 (Post 8357062)
Sometimes they will come to you.

No affiliation!

http://www.diminishedvalueoftexas.com

I went to a local shop suggested by a buddy with pictures I had taken and, I'm going to another place tomorrow. I guess I'll see what happens. The adjuster acted like a complete a-hole(in my mind anyway...lol)when I challenged him about the estimate. I asked to talk to his supervisor and, he said he would tell them I wanted to talk to them, but no one has contacted me as of yet. I'll post here what I find out. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. BTW, I'm looking forward to looking at those pieces we talked about. I do want them.

Clyde65 10-04-2018 08:31 PM

I plan on going and picking them up Saturday.

Insurance companies used to be regulated in respect to clearing open claims within like 30 days iirc. Things may be different now.

'65 chevy lover 10-04-2018 09:25 PM

Sounds good.