The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Couple of questions about my 94 k2500 oil pressure and trim ?s (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=748905)

codejitsu 10-21-2017 05:19 PM

Couple of questions about my 94 k2500 oil pressure and trim ?s

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so to start the truck is a 94 k2500 with a tbi350 with 120,000 miles. Oil pressure when idiling warm gets very low, but never goes into red and check engine light has never come on. Oil pressure runs around 40 when driving. Engine feels good despite the pressure reading. Does anyone know what could cause this? Bad oil pump? A bad sensor? Also the truck has god awful chrome "trim" along the lower rocker area. How can I remove this without damaging the paint underneath?

Palf70Step 10-21-2017 05:42 PM

Re: Couple of questions about my 94 k2500 oil pressure and trim ?s

What kind of oil are you running? I found that when I used some vavloine oil in mine, The oil was so thin and runny, especially after time, my oil pressure was real low at idle and fairly normal while running. I switched back to the normal Castrol Hi mileage I normally use and the issue went away.

I have never seen anyone get that silver trim off without issues. You can try and heat guy to get it loose and some WD40 to soften the glue. You may stilll have issues with it pulling the paint. For sure at this age it will be a very different shade that what has seen the sun all these years.

codejitsu 10-21-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8065319)
What kind of oil are you running? I found that when I used some vavloine oil in mine, The oil was so thin and runny, especially after time, my oil pressure was real low at idle and fairly normal while running. I switched back to the normal Castrol Hi mileage I normally use and the issue went away.

I have never seen anyone get that silver trim off without issues. You can try and heat guy to get it loose and some WD40 to soften the glue. You may stilll have issues with it pulling the paint. For sure at this age it will be a very different shade that what has seen the sun all these years.

Thanks for the reply. I'm running a Castrol full synthetic 10w 30. I'll try switching to the high mileage oil and see what happens. I may just leave the trim on. That doesn't sound very fun.

74CustomK20 10-23-2017 07:49 AM

When I pulled my trim off it left the glue behind. I wasn't worried about it took my wire wheel to it and wound up rhino lining the bottom.. good luck!

Mr_Rich 10-23-2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codejitsu (Post 8065311)
Ok so to start the truck is a 94 k2500 with a tbi350 with 120,000 miles. Oil pressure when idiling warm gets very low, but never goes into red and check engine light has never come on. Oil pressure runs around 40 when driving. Engine feels good despite the pressure reading. Does anyone know what could cause this? Bad oil pump? A bad sensor? Also the truck has god awful chrome "trim" along the lower rocker area. How can I remove this without damaging the paint underneath?

On the trim in the lower rocker area you can use a tool the body shops use. It is a glue/ adhesive "eraser" that you insert in a drill chuck. It's kind of like a rubber grinding wheel. I removed the molding on my K2500 and then used this tool to remove the adhesive without any damage at all to the paint. I had to charge my drill about 3X but finished the job. Buy this wheel at auto paint shops. It's worth it!

codejitsu 10-23-2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Rich (Post 8066642)
On the trim in the lower rocker area you can use a tool the body shops use. It is a glue/ adhesive "eraser" that you insert in a drill chuck. It's kind of like a rubber grinding wheel. I removed the molding on my K2500 and then used this tool to remove the adhesive without any damage at all to the paint. I had to charge my drill about 3X but finished the job. Buy this wheel at auto paint shops. It's worth it!

I'm going to buy one today when I get off work. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give it a shot this weekend.