The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lt1 swap! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=767628)

Pontiacgurudan 07-16-2018 11:57 PM

Lt1 swap!

I blew my radiator in my 63 over Memorial day weekend, badly overheating my engine in the process. I had a tbi motor with the 4l60e from a 95 Silverado in it. I'm not sure if it blew a head gasket or cracked a head, or both. Needless to say it was no bueno. I started looking around for another tbi motor when a friend offered me a low mileage lt1 from an f-body. It already had the gmpp 4-barrel manifold that runs a regular distributor. Who doesn't want an extra 100 horsepower? I sourced a corvette accessory drive, that kept grinding on the frame to just a one inch wide, quarter inch deep area to clear one if the idler pulleys. Picked up a remote power steering reservoir for a Subaru from O'Reilly's for $18, ordered the tbi adapter to run my tbi on the 4-barrel manifold. It really wasn't very hard at all to do the swap, the accessory drive being the only parts that are really different from a standard sbc. The Wi-Fi is down due to some storms so I won't be able to load pics until tomorrow, but I have plenty so I'll get them posted.

Macdaddy1 07-17-2018 09:28 AM

Re: Lt1 swap!

Way cool. I want to see, I want to see!!!!!!!!!!!!

nimrod 07-26-2018 01:50 AM

Welcome to the club!
I put a '95 Corvette LT1 in my '66 a few years back. Been very happy with the outcome!

Pontiacgurudan 07-29-2018 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have it up and running. Due to a phone mishap I lost all the pics I took while putting it in. I'll get some fresh pics today. It needs a better fuel pump which I plan to do today. It has more power at 1/2 throttle than the old tbi motor had. I'm having a chip burned for the ecm so I can get the most out of the tbi setup I'm running. I may even take the 4l60e out and replace it with a cable operated 700r4 and run a 4-barrel on it. The motor has the gmpp spreadbore manifold on it. The tbi will never be quite enough for the rpm this motor will spin. I happened upon a set of lt4 heads so things might get interesting:)

sixty4bigwindow 07-31-2018 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiacgurudan (Post 8311218)
I have it up and running. Due to a phone mishap I lost all the pics I took while putting it in. I'll get some fresh pics today. It needs a better fuel pump which I plan to do today. It has more power at 1/2 throttle than the old tbi motor had. I'm having a chip burned for the ecm so I can get the most out of the tbi setup I'm running. I may even take the 4l60e out and replace it with a cable operated 700r4 and run a 4-barrel on it. The motor has the gmpp spreadbore manifold on it. The tbi will never be quite enough for the rpm this motor will spin. I happened upon a set of lt4 heads so things might get interesting:)

I am intrigued! Keep us updated, and some video's of it driving would be stellar ;)