The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas pouring from the tank fill !! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=799578)

chevycraft 01-14-2020 11:24 AM

Gas pouring from the tank fill !!

Okay... I know I could relocate my tank ....but I won`t ... Has anyone found a way to stop the tank from pouring out gas when making a right turn or going on a exit !!

engineer_gregh 01-14-2020 12:01 PM

Re: Gas pouring from the tank fill !!

Mine have never done that. Is the seal on your gas cap bad?

rpmerf 01-14-2020 01:16 PM

I forget what year they changed it. I know my 70 has a vented cap. I'm not sure if it was 71 or 72 they made the change to a sealed cap and a vent inside the truck on the passenger's C pillar (or is it a B pillar). With a vented cap, I don't know there is a good way to stop it. I've tried 3 different caps, same result. It only happens when my tank is full. If I keep it at ~3/4 of a tank, it has been fine.

Astro-Balls 01-14-2020 01:48 PM

If you have a spill problem you might try one of these fuel flaps..
https://dqzrr9k4bjpzk.cloudfront.net.../368451523.jpg
https://www.pciinc.com/shop-pci/150-...FLAP-p61376480

toolboxchev 01-14-2020 02:46 PM

Couple of things happen.

1. They probably overfilled you at the station. I have had them do that on purpose. Tank most likely holds 2 or more gallons after first click on the fuel pump shut off.

2. Think I had a vented cap in the past, got the correct one and changed the gasket to a thicker one from ACE hardware, and no more issues.

Willys_MB 01-14-2020 02:54 PM

I haven't had this problem, but I recently switched to a vented cap because I read on this forum to do that to help with fuel/oil issues. My fuel pump died and fuel got into the block. Everyone on the forum said to switch to a vented fuel cap and put a new fuel pump on and it should work. Now I'm second guessing my decision to go to a vented cap...

68panelman 01-14-2020 03:12 PM

My 67 did this on the ride home when i purchased it. Replaced fuel cap with new and problem solved, it had the original cap with a dried up gasket

custom10nut 01-14-2020 09:30 PM

I used to have the problem until I bought a quality cap.
Stant is the one I use, but as precaution, I don’t put more that 18 gallons in the tank, unless I’m making a road trip on the Interstate

Steeveedee 01-14-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willys_MB (Post 8659745)
I haven't had this problem, but I recently switched to a vented cap because I read on this forum to do that to help with fuel/oil issues. My fuel pump died and fuel got into the block. Everyone on the forum said to switch to a vented fuel cap and put a new fuel pump on and it should work. Now I'm second guessing my decision to go to a vented cap...

If you have a '68 truck as shown in your sig, a vented cap is required, since it doesn't have a vapor recovery system. I switched over to a non-locking cap because the locking caps' gaskets go bad so quickly. Mine is a '70 with no vapor recovery system. If you don't have fuel leaking out on right turns, you're fine.

toolboxchev 01-15-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8659999)
If you have a '68 truck as shown in your sig, a vented cap is required, since it doesn't have a vapor recovery system. I switched over to a non-locking cap because the locking caps' gaskets go bad so quickly. Mine is a '70 with no vapor recovery system. If you don't have fuel leaking out on right turns, you're fine.

X2 on those locking gaskets caps, they are poop!

Astro-Balls 01-15-2020 11:22 PM

What vented cap is best, that looks original?

Steeveedee 01-16-2020 01:06 AM

Mine is chrome plated. That looks good. I don't think that any other finish was offered for a cap that was outside. If you had a locking flap cover like the saddle tanks on my truck have, the cap could be galvanized with two ear flaps. That's what I have on the saddle tanks. You could use that for your main tank, but they are pretty ugly.

Willys_MB 01-16-2020 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Balls (Post 8660556)

I bought a stant because I’ve always had good luck with them. I’m sure other members have their opinions. $10 shipped on rock auto :metal:

toolboxchev 01-16-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Balls (Post 8660556)

I got a chrome plated one from Napa, Stant, I presume. The gasket it comes with only lasts about 6 months, take it off and go over to ACE hardware. There you should be able to find a thicker more durable gasket that fits like a glove. Makes the gas cap tight, but not too difficult.

Let me know if you need some help with that, I could go over to the local store and get a whole bunch of them and spread them around!

Willys_MB 01-16-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolboxchev (Post 8660728)
I got a chrome plated one from Napa, Stant, I presume. The gasket it comes with only lasts about 6 months, take it off and go over to ACE hardware. There you should be able to find a thicker more durable gasket that fits like a glove. Makes the gas cap tight, but not too difficult.

That's good to know... mine's only been on for a couple weeks. I'll have to head to ACE soon!

morepwr 01-16-2020 02:16 PM

Mine did that and a new gas cap fixed it. I also learned that the rubber grommet thru the cab isn't great so it would run back in the cab creating a nice "essence de unleaded" in the cab.

volksworld 01-16-2020 06:25 PM

a vented cap isnt just a cap with a hole in it...it is sealed but has a one way valve to allow air into the tank to replace the fuel that is used up...your problem isnt that the cap is vented, your problem is that you bought a cap that is a piece of crap

lil hoodlum 01-16-2020 07:38 PM

I also have a Stant cap. Top my tank off every 10 days as my truck is a daily driver. 1968 C10 with the gas tank in the cab.

Andy4639 01-18-2020 10:27 PM

I cut rubber gasket material for a added gasket thickness works every time. I have done it several times.:chevy: