The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best Under Bed Fuel Tank Conversion. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=753580)

Justin Jones 12-28-2017 06:23 PM

Best Under Bed Fuel Tank Conversion.

I know what you're probably thinking: I should have used the search function. I did but didn't see anything about quality, ease of kit install etc. About the only thing I did see was don't go with poly, use a steel tank.

We are doing this on a short step side and going with an in tank pump for fuel injection. There are a lot of options as far as tanks, don't know about working with in tank pumps so much. I just wondered what most had good luck with as far as kit quality, etc. Thanks.

Rufas 12-28-2017 07:12 PM

Re: Best Under Bed Fuel Tank Conversion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Jones (Post 8116551)
I know what you're probably thinking: I should have used the search function. I did but didn't see anything about quality, ease of kit install etc. About the only think I did see was don't go with poly, use a steel tank.

We are doing this on a short step side and going with an in tank pump for fuel injection. There are a lot of options as far as tanks, don't know about working with in tank pumps so much. I just wondered what most had good luck with as far as kit quality, etc. Thanks.

Depending on the difficultly of the installation I suggest making some provision to get to/replace the fuel pump, filter and sending unit. I've got the aluminum tank from CPP and it was a real PITA to install, even with the bed off. I had panels made for a for the bed to cover the access areas for the pump, filter and sender unit.

Justin Jones 12-28-2017 07:34 PM

I think we'll do an external replaceable filter just like a regular car/truck. But honestly I didn't think about access to the fuel pump if something happens to it. I guess we'll drop the tank to change it.

Dustytrix 12-28-2017 10:00 PM

I used a 49-52 chevy sedan from tanks inc. It will fit inside rear frame and put filler cap on rear of fender.. smoothed gas cap. 16 gals setup for fuel injection. I like it and you cannot see it from behind.

Rufas 12-28-2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Jones (Post 8116597)
I think we'll do an external replaceable filter just like a regular car/truck. But honestly I didn't think about access to the fuel pump if something happens to it. I guess we'll drop the tank to change it.

You still need to be able to replace the fuel sock filter on the inlet side of the in tank fuel pump. These EFI fuel pumps need an inlet filter.

Rufas 12-28-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustytrix (Post 8116706)
I used a 49-52 chevy sedan from tanks inc. It will fit inside rear frame and put filler cap on rear of fender.. smoothed gas cap. 16 gals setup for fuel injection. I like it and you cannot see it from behind.

Here is the fuel door I had installed on my 70 GMC.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4734/...3173a79f_c.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4601/...58aede02_c.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4725/...ae9cfbd4_c.jpg

Robznob11 12-28-2017 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whats wrong with poly. I run a 2002 camaro tank. Required trimming the bottom of the frame, and relocating rear most bracked a little bit. The up side is you can use a stock ls pump or run the racetronix upgrade like I do😁 it supports 650 HP.

Edit: you will need to drill A hole through the frame for the filler. Mine is in my bed.

jessemthompson 12-29-2017 12:12 AM

I run a Boyd Aluminun tank with the in-tank pump. It was well worth the money spent.

mi396ss 12-29-2017 09:28 AM

I’m considering using a 25 gallon tank from a 1989 blazer as described in an earlier post. I’ll have to move the cross member back and I’d like to position the tank so I can possibly fill it from behind the license plate. The tank is baffled in case you do a ls swap in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigmac73 12-29-2017 09:55 AM

there as a post on here about a guy who used a 69 Camaro tank for his step side with the flip down license plate, that is the route I am going to go with
search 69 Camaro tank on the forum it should pop up

CC69Rat 12-29-2017 10:24 AM

I have a 69 Camaro tank under mine but it's a fleetside. ( Dont think it would matter really?) We used a flip down tag bracket off a 70s Impala. I'll post a picture if youre interested. ( there may be some pics on my build I cant remember ) We had to make some brackets and supports to make it work but it tucks under the truck nicely and of course you wont see a filler door or modifications inside the bed.

bigmac73 12-29-2017 10:58 AM

by the way I bought the flip down plate holder from amazon, summit also sells them as well

mi396ss 12-29-2017 10:58 AM

I would go with the camaro tank also if I wasn’t considering a ls swap eventually. The blazer tank is baffled and the camaro tank is not as far as I know.
Posted via Mobile Device

SabbathFanatic 12-29-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi396ss (Post 8117066)
I would go with the camaro tank also if I wasn’t considering a ls swap eventually. The blazer tank is baffled and the camaro tank is not as far as I know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tanks Inc. sells a baffled '69 Camaro tank for EFI conversions. I am in the middle of an LS swap on my '71 and that's the route I'm going to take.

Here's the link

mi396ss 12-29-2017 03:57 PM

Thanks, that’s good to know. Although I’ll still probably go with this one since it’s bigger and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...=spectra+GM15C
Posted via Mobile Device

SabbathFanatic 12-29-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi396ss (Post 8117268)
Thanks, that’s good to know. Although I’ll still probably go with this one since it’s bigger and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...=spectra+GM15C
Posted via Mobile Device

That is bigger and cheaper. Looks like it's square, and the listed dimensions seem to agree. Could you just mount it sideways so the filler is out the back?

I might have to reconsider the Camaro tank.

mi396ss 12-29-2017 04:45 PM

That’s my plan so I’m hoping it’ll work.
Posted via Mobile Device

SabbathFanatic 12-29-2017 04:51 PM

I have quite a few other things on the list before I have to make a final decision on the tank, so if you don't mind letting me know how that works out that'd be awesome!

CC69Rat 12-29-2017 06:22 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=762

Here's how we did it. Starts around post 760 or so.

WB72 12-29-2017 06:36 PM

I guess one question needs to be asked.
Is this truck stock height or higher? Because if you are lowering it, a camaro tank will not work.

CC69Rat 12-29-2017 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No intentions of 'disagreeing' here - but just to show you guys how it tucks into the frame and bed, clearance, etc. My truck is about 7" drop. The rear differential and track bar / lower shock bar hangs lower than the tank.

I had an aftermarket tank in this truck at first and the Camaro tank is a lot better. My old tank was the poly tank with the outlets and connections at the back.

Robznob11 12-29-2017 06:50 PM

That is about how my 2002 camaro tank sets too

Justin Jones 01-02-2018 03:49 PM

Well this kind of got busy over the weekend. I'll try to respond to everyone.

Rufas - Our fuel pump module will have a sock or pre-filter on it. Just like the pump, the tank will have to be dropped to change it. Nice fuel door mod. We are looking at going through the fender lens being a step side.

Dusty - Never knew that tank would work. I'll look into that. Being from Tanks Inc. we could get it set up for their fuel injection.

Rob - Just a few threads said don't get poly. To me, it doesn't matter. Just wanted to go with a good one. Thanks for the pic.

Jesse - Thanks for the info.

mi396 - I looked into the '87 Blazer because I'd like to go with about 25 gal. But it has the filler neck coming out of the top and I don't think that will work with the bed. I'm not sure.

BigMac and cc69rat - Thanks for the idea of the Camaro tank. We haven't really ruled that out yet. Not too keen on the rear fill though. Thanks for pics too rat.

Sabbath - Thanks for the link on the tank. We are for sure using fuel injection but not sure what pump set up yet.

WB72 - We are looking at lowering it but not sure how much yet. At least 2.5/4 drop.

OBS454 01-02-2018 09:21 PM

I installed a poly tank from a 9C1 Caprice. I use a small external electric pump but the factory setup was for the SPFI LT1 and I think delivered 50+ PSI Used the Caprice mounting straps and fabbed front anchor mounts. Had to remove spared tire cross piece. It is visible from the side(s) and rear but not much.

Project1970 01-03-2018 12:15 AM

How is the license plate filler to live with? I want a rear tank, but I don't want to do any bodywork that will result in either redoing bedliner or paint because I don't think either can be blended realistically.