The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Project Nightmare Porterbuilt Install (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=711414)

njackso1024 07-03-2016 08:52 PM

Project Nightmare Porterbuilt Install

1 Attachment(s)
So I ve never joined a forum before but I thought I would try and help out. I bought my 1970 C10 long bed last summer. I've always wanted one and i finally pulled the trigger. the body and frame were in good shape but everything else was either shot or just broken. the suspension was for sure the first thing that needed replacing. it drove like a boat on the water. but anyway i drove it for a while and noticed the engine was making some noise. never a good thing. so i parked it for the winter and did a bunch of research and going back and forth over what it was i wanted to do. The name Porterbuilt kept coming up over and over again. So i decided to take a look at their system. i was instantly convinced that this was the way this project needed to go. However, up til a couple months ago I didn't even know what a ball joint was. I also couldn't find well laid out instructions as to the way to do this. That is until I ran across a thread on here called "My Porterbuilt Experience" by Mac808. he really laid out the install for the stage 2 front kit and the stage 2 rear basic very well. so i thought i would contribute to the community as well with my experience with this kit. the Guys from porterbuilt really laid out this kit well so even someone like me could figure it out. they are also awesome to work with and I would recommend them to anyone looking to bag their ride. So anyway let's get started with day 1. There she is.

njackso1024 07-03-2016 09:09 PM

Re: Project Nightmare Porterbuilt Install

2 Attachment(s)
Here she is coming apart

njackso1024 07-03-2016 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Be warned this kit comes in a lot of pieces and looks very confusing to an idiot such as myself.:lol:

njackso1024 07-03-2016 09:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so Here s some pictures of the bag and the mounting plate. I also took one of the bottom of the cup where it mounts to and it mounted up.

njackso1024 07-03-2016 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Up next are the shock mounts. they have a locator tab on the that slips right into the old shock mount bolt. just drill the holes and mount it up.

njackso1024 07-03-2016 09:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the lower control arm mounted to the crossmember and the bag. The cross shaft of the control arm has a locating hole in one of the sides. this locates the control arm right where it needs to be in those mounts. then just slide in the u bolts and tighten em up. the bag just uses one bolt on the bottom in the long slot on the bottom control arm plate. this confused me at first cuz there are two holes that don t line up to the bag right below the long slot. they don t get used.

njackso1024 07-03-2016 09:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so Here are some pictures of both sides mounted up and the shocks on.

njackso1024 07-03-2016 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
next up was the brakes. i went with the CPP modular drop spindles to get a little lower in the front and also if i want to upgrade to bigger brakes in the future. i didn t get a picture but the is a certain way to put those brackets for the calipers on. if you do it wrong the calipers won t slide on correctly. if that happens unbolt them and turn them upside down from the way you had them on.

njackso1024 07-03-2016 10:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
tires on and here is the slam. just cleared the reliefs at full drop. i think i got lucky there. the crossmember is right on the ground though. i did have to take it back apart and redo the fitting. be sure to...and i can t stress this enough...TEST YOUR FITTINGS. make sure they are not leaking or you ll make more work for yourself like i did. I used the thread paste, then the tape, then the paste again and got a great no leak seal. also seeing as i had no power steering i jacked up a side to see how low i could go and still get full turn. i was about an inch or 2 down from the relief and i got full lock to lock turn. we ll see how that works out when it s all back together.

njackso1024 07-03-2016 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
if you wanna see some movement. i posted a vid on my facebook. here is the link

https://www.facebook.com/nick.jackson.75248795

i Built a simple control valve to use with my air compressor. you can see it in the picture.

njackso1024 07-03-2016 10:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So this is where i am now. the bed is off, thanks to my neighbors. big shout out. and i have to remove the old shock crossmember. the bump stop bracket was already removed in the picture. make sure you keep the bottom part of the crossmember as in the last picture. the new shock crossmember will locate on it. DO NOT CUT IT OFF. I ll post pictures as i get things done. it might be a little while. Keep in mind I have no garage and this is a total driveway build:lol:

njackso1024 07-05-2016 12:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got some work done today. got the old shock crossmember out and cut out one c-notch. I was wondering if someone might chime on and tell me if the outter ear on the crossmember mount needs to be trimmed back. it seems to keep the bottom notch piece from sitting flush. if you have any questions about the pics please let me know.

njackso1024 07-05-2016 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the notch out and you can see the ear i was talking about

shores6 07-05-2016 06:56 PM

Yes the "ear" needs to be trimmed to be flush with the frame rail. Lookin good though!

njackso1024 07-05-2016 07:10 PM

Thanks man. I got an email with the install instructions from Dave a little while ago. I saw what I was missing at first glance. Thanks for the assit though.

duallyjams 07-05-2016 08:53 PM

For not knowing what a ball joint was you are doing a awesome job.

njackso1024 07-05-2016 10:41 PM

Thanks bud. This forum and youtube and some of my mechanic friends have all been great resources. I ve got a lot of help from these.

njackso1024 07-07-2016 06:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here s what i got done today. Worked on the passenger side C notch. All i can really say is make sure you test fit these before you paint or powdercoat them. They may require a little manipulation. There are 4 holes that locate the two pieces of the notch. Two for the top piece and two for the bottom. Make sure these are tight as possible before you start drilling or your holes may be off when you go to line the two pieces together. I drilled for the top piece first to make sure it was tight against the frame and that brought the holes on the side more in line with each other

Ram-Man 07-07-2016 10:11 PM

From a fellow Minnesotan very nice. Porterbuilt is the only way to go. Did a similar install on mine in my signature.

njackso1024 07-07-2016 10:27 PM

Thanks Ram-Man. I checked out your truck. Boy that kit slid right into didn t it. Very cool and original.

andrewmp6 07-08-2016 05:11 AM

Looking good so far,But a safety tip wear steel toe boots just in case you drop something heavy on your foot.

njackso1024 07-08-2016 11:54 AM

Lol. Good idea. Don t worry i was wearing boots before i took that picture. Good catch though.

njackso1024 07-12-2016 01:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the upper shock cross member fitted up today. it sits level however there is a 1/8 variance in the notches as you can see by the third picture. i emailed dave and nate got back to me and said that was within tolerance. i just wanted to make sure before i cut the notch out on the drivers side. i ll get to that within the next couple days.

CG 07-16-2016 08:23 PM

When I read the title to your thread I thought it meant you were having a nightmare of a time installing the PB stuff. Looks like its coming a long fine though.

njackso1024 07-16-2016 09:53 PM

Lol. No the nightmare is all the parts that need replacing and my credit card debt now