The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   blazer tank install (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=608374)

rich67 12-17-2013 03:45 AM

blazer tank install

getting ready to install a blazer tank in my 72 gmc 2wheel. does anyone know of a thread for some pics of before during after install. just makes it easier to wrap my head around it. looks like to me that i will have to remove intermediate frame brace and cut out most of bed cross sill in order to get it all the way up in. there are some holes already in the frame that it looks as tho i may be able to use to bolt straps to. or will i need to drill some new ones. i will get some pics of my tank loaded here tomoro. bought used so of course no instructions. but thats just how we roll most of the time seems like. lol any help appreciated. thanx, rich :smoke:

hugger6933 12-17-2013 08:39 AM

Re: blazer tank install

Go to the home section in the upper left hand corner then click on tech tips then go to the 67-72 section there are some post in there and the FAQ section. Jim

RexDodge 12-17-2013 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did one. Not sure of the year but it has worked out great. I also used the in tank fuel pump. Search through my build thread and you'll find information. If you need anything else let me know. PS...try to find a fill neck that is 2" with a 5/8" vent. NO burping on fill up. Later model full size blazers/suburbans have them.

Tom Vogel 12-17-2013 09:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 72 2wd Jimmy. You shouldnt have to remove any cross member or cut anything to put in a stock tank in a Jimmy, or are you speaking of a 2wd truck?

Molberg 12-17-2013 10:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Rich... there's lots of ways to do it. A general forum search helped me lots when my time came. I used a 1973 blazer 25 Gal. fuel tank, with a sending unit from a 1984 K5 blazer. It was one I found that would fit the hole in the tank... and have proper resistance range (0-95 ohms)to read accurately with the factory guage. (It does read accurate) The straps were made with 18G sheetmetal. T bolts fit through holes in straps at outer end, then strap folded back and welded. T bolts fastened at front through cross braces I made. (heavy wall square tube) Straps bolt into threaded holes in heavy wall tube at the rear. Made this way to enable tank removal without removing the truck bed. The braces I fabbed up could be installed inside frame rails, or from underneath for tank height adjustment once I install the box. I tacked a piece of plate across the rear frame rails to hold everything square while removing braces and mocking up tank.

rich67 12-17-2013 01:13 PM

thanx so much guys. i misled you a little. its only a 21 gal plastic tank. its going in a 2wd truck. guy i bought it from removed it from one. it has two straps that bolt to the frame rails i believe. i will get some pics this afternoon. tank is about 13-14" deep so need to go up in there pretty good so as not to hang too low. ill check out the posts as well. thanx again, rich

rich67 12-17-2013 01:30 PM

btw great lookin installs. :metal:

rich67 12-17-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 6422477)
I have a 72 2wd Jimmy. You shouldnt have to remove any cross member or cut anything to put in a stock tank in a Jimmy, or are you speaking of a 2wd truck?

that is pretty much the same tank that i have and yes 2wd longbed.