The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Passenger side dipstick (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750477)

Keystone_Hate 11-14-2017 12:11 PM

Passenger side dipstick

1 Attachment(s)
I got my 350 (#10067353) crate engine from a GM dealer in Virginia. There are provisions for dipsticks on both sides of the block. I spoke to the dealer and they told me the passenger side dipstick is the way to go. They gave me the GM part number for the tube and the dip stick so I got them both, as I have read OEM is the way to go, over aftermarket for the dipstick situation.

The dipstick tube has a tab on the top with a hole to mount it to something. It doesn't line up with any holes in the block. So I'm not sure where it goes. I want to run ramhorns on the motor so I thought maybe there's a hole in them to mount it. The tube is not really an interference fit in the block, it just slides in and out. So I want to have somewhere to anchor it so I don't get leaks, or have this thing pop out every time I check the oil.

Does anyone have a picture of a ramhorn setup with a pass. side dipstick?

Here is the dipstick tube I got.

Attachment 1707601

dirish 11-14-2017 12:15 PM

Re: Passenger side dipstick

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is on the drivers side like factory.
Mine is in the 4th manifold bolt from front. (Drivers side) picture may help you.

B. W. 11-14-2017 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here you go:
Had to bend the mounting strap to fit.

Keystone_Hate 11-15-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. W. (Post 8082390)
here you go:
Had to bend the mounting strap to fit.

B.W. Where did that tab mount to?

B. W. 11-15-2017 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I cut the little weird tab off, just leaving the bolt hole. It bolts into a threaded hole in cylinder head directly behind the exhaust manifold. (vortec head)

Best pic I have, you can see the tab in the bottom of the pic, can't see the bolt.

GASoline71 11-15-2017 04:31 PM

If you're going for a non-factory look, that works good. :)

Gary

special-K 11-16-2017 07:50 AM

Did you ask the dealer why they say passenger side is the way to go? I can't imagine any reason not to put it where it belongs on one of these trucks, especially with using OEM exhaust manfolds

Mike C 11-16-2017 08:49 AM

Probably because they only stock the passenger side anymore. LOL

Keystone_Hate 11-16-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B. W. (Post 8083094)
I cut the little weird tab off, just leaving the bolt hole. It bolts into a threaded hole in cylinder head directly behind the exhaust manifold. (vortec head)

Best pic I have, you can see the tab in the bottom of the pic, can't see the bolt.

AHHH see I don't have vortec heads. The stock heads don't have that tapped hole. Guess I am gonna have to rig something up. It is pretty close to the one rocker cover bolt so I might make a tab. Thanks for the pics and the answers, I truly appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8083542)
Did you ask the dealer why they say passenger side is the way to go? I can't imagine any reason not to put it where it belongs on one of these trucks, especially with using OEM exhaust manfolds

Well the engine has provisions for dip stick on both sides. I am going by the engine date and not necessarily the year of the truck. Since it's a brand new engine, I figured the pass. side would be just as good as the driver side. Six of one, half dozen of the other.