The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone running CB's in their truck these days? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=753699)

CG 12-30-2017 01:42 PM

The Official CB's in your truck thread.

Id like to see the CB setups and where you placed your antenna if you are running them.

I missed out on a period CB here on the board awhile back. Id like to have one for my 4x4, more for the novelty of having one. Its something a lot of us had back in the 70s.

briank 12-30-2017 01:54 PM

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

1 Attachment(s)
Original owner installed one on my jimmy but it had been removed by his family. It came with the jimmy and I may install it for appearance only....it did come with a cb dictionary though. I still run with the antenna though.

davepl 12-30-2017 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No, but I took one out when I restored mine! Actually, the head unit was long gone, just all the ancillary support equipment and antennas and holes!

But I'll go you one better, here's a vintage photo from the original owner showing off his under-dash CB just after getting it home from the dealership! According to his granddaughter, who I found on Facebook, grandpa had a "phone" handset and could talk to the kids in the camper as well via some intercom, which they thought was super-cool grandpa-stuff as little kids.

100%Chevy 12-30-2017 02:30 PM

I have 4 installed in different trucks,but don't use them much anymore.
Down here, the Vietnamese fishermen have taken over the CB's.
I like to have one working when we travel in our little motorhome.
Mike.:chevy:

retrax 12-30-2017 02:52 PM

I think most use cell phones or the little FRS hand held that have pretty good range

'68OrangeSunshine 12-30-2017 03:26 PM

I have a Radio Shack SSB w/pre-amp mic rig currently in my '68 Stepside. It's a ''rover'' with a stubby mag-mount and cigar plug DC feed, so I can put it any of my vehicles.
I used to run a HyGain stick on a break-over Hustler mast that folded right above the upper rail if the bed side. Coax ran from the cab thru a hole in the floor out to the drivers side rear step bumper to a mount with a big coil spring [that's all still there] where the mast threaded into the spring top. It's right behind the lollypop-style taillight. I will check out that coax for shorts, as it's about 40 years old, and replace as necessary. [When I decide on a permanent rig in the stepside.] Right now the rover rig could also go to the Jimmy for a weekend. The mag-mount stubby antennas suck for real transmission, however. You need a 1/4-wave whip to be effective. But its OK for convoy-type ranges.
A well-tuned CB [barefoot -- no illegal 100 watt kicker] and adult-size antenna will greatly outperform any FRS unit by miles.
Only problem is, there isn't much intelligent life on the frequency anymore [as if there ever were]. It's eerily silent compared to the old days, like out of some Chuck Heston flick.
We, as a body of informed 67-72 Operators, could change that, if we collectively decide to use the frequency for our mutual support and amusement, not just some show queen gewgaw accessory, but it will take effort.
Remember- no roaming minutes for skip.

70cst 12-30-2017 05:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This spring I will be installing my Kris XL50 with a Hippo Antenna. I also have a mid 70's CB Hump console that I will be mounting the CB to. As far as an amp - I might install this NOS Varmint Tune Linear for show. (The glue will come of once washed)

special-K 12-30-2017 05:21 PM

You'll be broadcastin' in style! That's some cool stuff there.

FleetsidePaul 12-30-2017 06:14 PM

Those are cool. But be careful who you're talking to. :)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/buford.jpg

70cst 12-30-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8118169)
Those are cool. But be careful who you're talking to. :)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/buford.jpg

Now that is funny :lol::metal:

57taskforce 12-31-2017 12:45 AM

My 72 doesnt have one any more but my ‘17 Sierra duramax company truck does. Go figure right?? The radio always has service in the fields when the iPhone doesn’t.

CastIron 12-31-2017 12:59 AM

I have a cb in my truck, but I haven't actually hooked it up. Getting it hooked up and tuned is on my list of things to do.
The last time I played around with one there wasn't much to hear. I know truckers still use them, but most people have moved on to the small handheld radios if they can't use a cell phone. If there was ever a disaster type scenario, I think they would be handy to have... as long as you have people to talk to. They are able to work at greater distances than the cheap handhelds everybody uses.

RichardJ 12-31-2017 01:29 AM

SCTA - Southern California Timing Association, Land Speed Racing at Bonneville and El Mirage use CB radio's for all their personnel and safety people. All race car, Push Truck's must have a CB.

In The Ten Ring 12-31-2017 02:17 AM

My old Pontiac has a CB....those were neat back in the day when you were on a long trip and truckers would report "Smoky" locations. :ito:

NC_John 12-31-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 8118517)
My old Pontiac has a CB....those were neat back in the day when you were on a long trip and truckers would report "Smoky" locations. :ito:

Smart phones and satellite radio killed them. That and the new generation of pitiful over-the-road "driver." Used to be you could count on getting a warning if an accident, speed trap or Scalehouse checking logbooks/doing roadsides ahead. Now its nothing. I like the nostalgia of the radio but its a safer bet when driving to just use "waze."

CG 12-31-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardJ (Post 8118501)
SCTA - Southern California Timing Association, Land Speed Racing at Bonneville and El Mirage use CB radio's for all their personnel and safety people. All race car, Push Truck's must have a CB.

I go to Bonneville almost every year. You hear the CB talk all the time. Its a pretty fun thing to listen in on.

From reading the thread, I realize CB radios aren't what they used to be. I also realize other modes of communication have taken over. That's all very obvious stuff. That wasn't the point of me asking about CBs' in your trucks. The point as stated was, I'm interested in the novelty of having one, because it is a thing of my youth back in the 70's.

When you play with and drive a classic vehicle its not always about turning that vehicle in to a totally modern convenience that's wrapped in and old skin. Its about enjoying things as they used to be. Its about remembering riding around in a pickup with your father or grandfather. Maybe growing up your neighbor across the street was always working on his truck and he used to let you watch or hand him tools. Maybe his wife would come out with a snack and a soda for both of you. These are things that imprint on a young person. Its about tradition.

Sorry got off track haha. Uh, show me your CB's and antenna set ups if you run with them =)

brown7373 12-31-2017 10:06 AM

Our local antique car club takes numerous multi-day trips and we use CB radio to communicate. We will have anywhere from 12 to 20 cars or trucks and it is essential to be able to instantly communicate to the whole group, not to mention just idle conversation within the group. Most of us use magnetic mount antennas and radios that are removable.

CG 12-31-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brown7373 (Post 8118616)
Our local antique car club takes numerous multi-day trips and we use CB radio to communicate. We will have anywhere from 12 to 20 cars or trucks and it is essential to be able to instantly communicate to the whole group, not to mention just idle conversation within the group. Most of us use magnetic mount antennas and radios that are removable.

I forgotten all about the antennas with the big magnetic base.

Myoldtruck 12-31-2017 03:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My truck had the overhead console in it when i bought it, but the previous owner never connected the speakers. Anyhow I wired up the speakers overhead, installed my 70's cb, and installed a dual usb charger and 12v cig lighter outlet in the overhead. The cb antenna i got at a yard sale, it just clips to the side rail of the bed, you can also see my in bed tool box (70's cooler). I just wanted to keep that 70s vibe going on in the truck.

70cst 12-31-2017 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC_John (Post 8118591)
Smart phones and satellite radio killed them. That and the new generation of pitiful over-the-road "driver." Used to be you could count on getting a warning if an accident, speed trap or Scalehouse checking logbooks/doing roadsides ahead. Now its nothing. I like the nostalgia of the radio but its a safer bet when driving to just use "waze."

Spot on ... :metal:

70cst 01-08-2018 03:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just bought this NOS 60's-70's CB speaker to go with my CB.

Life is good.

midnightrider78 01-08-2018 04:34 PM

Not sure if it I still around, but there used to be a brand new unit still boxed up out in the garage. It was there since at least the early '80s, maybe earlier.

70cst 01-08-2018 04:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My NOS Tube Amp

wpavlis 01-08-2018 06:06 PM

You people and your ideas. Now I need a cool CB radio. Add it to the list I guess.

RANDY COX 01-08-2018 09:01 PM

Oh yea my Dad was in that big time in the late 70's-80's, He had one in the ole GMC and a Home Base...His handle was the Virginia Dozer man KBB09770...