The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   72 door problem (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754606)

70CHEVYBB 01-11-2018 11:17 PM

72 door problem

5 Attachment(s)
I have a 72 cab and the doors that were on the cab were wery rusty well beyond repair. First thought was to buy new doors but decided to find good used ones. Found new good doors so figured life would easy. The problem is the window fram does not fit the cab well at all. When the door is closed the rear gap is to big abd the window frame radius is almost hitti g the cab radius. The door frame gap at the top rear of window frame is good but at the front its better than 1/2 inch. Same problem on the front of door. Lower part of frame is perfect and at the top corner its huge. Any advice on a fix? I do have the original window frames a n d thought about switching them?

Hart_Rod 01-12-2018 09:06 AM

Re: 72 door problem

Unfortunately, whether OEM or repop, most doors will have to be fitted due to the variances in these old cabs. It should be an easier job though with OEM sheet metal.

beautimus 01-12-2018 01:06 PM

ttt for ya. subscribed.

LockDoc 01-12-2018 01:13 PM

-
Looks like the window frame is bent where it meets up with the door skin in the front. If you look at it close you can see the curve in it just above the door skin. If you have access to another door to try I would do that before any major surgery on anything..... Are you sure that isn't an aftermarket door?

LockDoc

Jcfcamaro 01-12-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8158786)
-
Looks like the window frame is bent where it meets up with the door skin in the front. If you look at it close you can see the curve in it just above the door skin. If you have access to another door to try I would do that before any major surgery on anything..... Are you sure that isn't an aftermarket door?

LockDoc

x2. Someone on here has said with the wing vent out you can use a 2x4 and a hammer to move the frame around to adjust the fitment.

70CHEVYBB 01-12-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8158786)
-

LockDoc

I see what you are saying about the bend. yes they are original doors. I also have the original doors so I will look to compare. thanks

darrellyates 01-12-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70CHEVYBB (Post 8158820)
I see what you are saying about the bend. yes they are original doors. I also have the original doors so I will look to compare. thanks

We had to take the window frame loose on the rear of the door, pull it down into the door (bending it slightly to keep it lined up correctly) to give room thru the curved part of the cab. After this adjustment, welded the rear of the frame to the door.

Along the front, we actually added metal to the door frame to correct the gaps to the cab. A lot of work, but gaps are nearly perfect now. I posted a picture several weeks ago. Nearly all doors will need work to make them right, whether original or aftermarket. Good Luck!!