The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   no brake lights, but the turn signal and tails lights work (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=684482)

jks67ss396 10-05-2015 09:15 PM

no brake lights, but the turn signal and tails lights work

Guys,

I lost my brake lights today. The tail lights work. The turn signals work. and they flash. But no brake lights.

I have power at my orange wire on going to the brake light switch under the dash.

I was under the assumption that if i have turn signals, id have brake lights and vice versa, but evidently not.

Any ideas?

VetteVet 10-05-2015 09:30 PM

Re: no brake lights, but the turn signal and tails lights work

Check the white wire from the brake light switch to the half moon connector for power on both sides of the connector. It carries power for the brake lights into the turn signal switch

jks67ss396 10-05-2015 09:53 PM

its dark out, but ill try to check.

the turn signals do work. so is there a separate output path for the brake lights vs turn signals?

chevyguyase 10-05-2015 11:52 PM

check your hazard switch if you have one, it may be half way on or off.

VetteVet 10-06-2015 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jks67ss396 (Post 7331526)
its dark out, but ill try to check.

the turn signals do work. so is there a separate output path for the brake lights vs turn signals?

Yes there are two sets of contact points in the turn signal switch for each turn/brake wire. When the switch is in no turn, the white wire feeds both contact points for the yellow and dark green wires. When either turn is selected the points are switched for that side, and the brake is disconnected so the turn light can flash.

Don't forget to press the brake for the white wire power test.

jks67ss396 10-06-2015 10:44 AM

ok, i think I at least diagnosed the problem

I do get 12V at white wire when brakes are pressed.

I do get flashing voltage (12V, then 0, then 12) on green and yellow (and blue and light blue) when i use the turn signal. green/yellow wires are rear taillights, blue/light blue are front blinker lights.

I do get same voltage when the hazzard is turned on.

But, I dont get voltage on the green or yellow wire when just the brakes are pressed and no turn signal

So, Im going to pull the steering wheel and see what i can see on the mechanics of the switch.

Just curious if you know this one:

Ive got a tilt column from an 80s motorhome. its got the flat connector (and theres an adapter to take the flat connector to horseshoe) and it has a black hazzard push/pull lever.

If i need to replace the turn signal switch, can i use the "correct" one for a 71 C10 with tilt? Or do i have to go get the motor home one? I would imagine i could handle the wiring, but its the hazzard button im not sure of.

Any ideas?

thanks guys!! youve been a huge help!!!

VetteVet 10-06-2015 01:15 PM

With different columns you are most likely going to have to use the one that's installed.
If you check the part no.s and they match, the same switch should fit both.

jks67ss396 10-06-2015 02:13 PM

well, i was able to pull the wheel and study the switch. i love that kind of ingenuity :)

i disassembled the switch, cleaned the contacts, reassembled the switch, but didnt reinstall. and thought for sure, ill have brakes. nope...

looks like i have a break in the white wire. i measure 12V on both sides of the connector, but i dont get 12V up at the contact on the switch.

I might need a couple of new terminals. Do you guys happen to know the part number for those terminals that fit the horse shoe and the flat->horseshoe adapter?

thanks

elf w/capital T 12-23-2017 06:41 PM

Jks, ever get this issue solved? Bad ground?