The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Since I posted a bad "my son" post (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=803605)

REDROCKER652002 04-02-2020 12:55 AM

Since I posted a bad "my son" post

Gonna follow it up with a good one. My son called me from the up the road the other day, "dad, my upper radiator house blew out, Can you bring me another one?" Sure son, no worries. So, I go to the local Oreilly's where he works. He had called ahead and had the hose waiting. I grab a jug and put some water in it. Grab some tools and off I go.

He was pulled into a Honda lot, so I roll up. He has his small, but useable tool set that we set up for him, out and is taking the upper hose off. I give him the stuff, say here ya go.

He proceeds to get the old hose off, new hose on and limps home. As I pull in, he has the hood open, I assume to check for leaks. Yup. He sees a leak in the thermostat housing. He checks the clamp and finds it loose, so he tightens it up. I leave him be, he is a big boy.

Next day he comes home with a lower radiator hose. I ask why he has that, he said he looked at the lower one and it had a wear mark on it where it was hitting the frame, so he figured he would change that one too. Atta boy, I tell him, good thinking. He has to cut the lower hose a bit to get it in and not kinked. I see him with some glue and a section of hose, ask him what's up. He says he is going to glue the section of old hose to the frame where the lower hose was rubbing to keep it from rubbing. Good thinking I tell him. And off I go.

Forward to the next day. Thermostat housing, gasket and permatex on the counter. I ask him what's up? He says the housing is still leaking, so he is going to replace it with a new housing. Cool. I tell him I am off Thursday morning, I can give him a hand.

I get up for work today, the truck is gone. He took the old housing out, put the new one on. Test drove the truck and no leaks, so he took the truck to work.

I was very happy to see he took the initiative to do it himself, and will let him know that when I see him in the morning.

Just a proud papa moment I thought I would share.

RR

Boog 04-02-2020 05:26 AM

Re: Since I posted a bad "my son" post

He was paying attention Dad. ;)

Steeveedee 04-02-2020 05:56 AM

It's so nice when they figure things out for themselves! :c2:

CUSTOM/10 04-02-2020 06:10 AM

He learned from example !

67C10Step 04-02-2020 08:54 AM

Good for him! He's starting to fly on those wings you taught him to use.

Some of the hardest things I've had to do as a parent is put my hands in my pockets and walk off. Let them struggle and figure it out. If I jump in and help I cheat them out of the sense of accomplishment and the learning.

Ol Blue K20 04-02-2020 09:09 AM

Good for him!!

specialtyretail 04-02-2020 09:16 AM

Sounds like some good parenting skills....

Keith Seymore 04-02-2020 09:28 AM

Well done!

K

67swb72klb 04-02-2020 11:54 AM

That has to make you feel good!!

54blackhornet 04-02-2020 01:29 PM

The young men around me don’t know which end of a hammer to use . I applaud you for teaching your son the skills he just demonstrated...